Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2020, 04:23 PM

11,969 posts, read 3,783,621 times

Advertisements

https://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3506.htm

“[57.] For example: Our forefathers in the old time sowed wheat in the Church's field. It would be most unmeet and iniquitous if we, their descendants, instead of the genuine truth of grain, should reap the counterfeit error of tares. This rather should be the result — there should be no discrepancy between the first and the last. From doctrine which was sown as wheat, we should reap, in the increase, doctrine of the same kind — wheat also; so that when in process of time any of the original seed is developed, and now flourishes under cultivation, no change may ensue in the character of the plant. There may supervene shape, form, variation in outward appearance, but the nature of each kind must remain the same. God forbid that those rose-beds of Catholic interpretation should be converted into thorns and thistles. God forbid that in that spiritual paradise from plants of cinnamon and balsam, darnel and wolfsbane should of a sudden shoot forth.

Therefore, whatever has been sown by the fidelity of the Fathers in this husbandry of God's Church, the same ought to be cultivated and taken care of by the industry of their children, the same ought to flourish and ripen, the same ought to advance and go forward to perfection. For it is right that those ancient doctrines of heavenly philosophy should, as time goes on, be cared for, smoothed, polished; but not that they should be changed, not that they should be maimed, not that they should be mutilated. They may receive proof, illustration, definiteness; but they must retain withal their completeness, their integrity, their characteristic properties.”

I have been reading a lot of the Early Church Fathers, some in depth, some just skimming and the above caught my eye

It means a lot to me because my reading so far has led me to an appreciation of how for denominational Christianity has fallen from the ideal that is in Christ and the Spirit, I am drawn toward the qualities and meaning of the words in Scripture, rather than the outward physical letters, words, phrases, histories, genealogy etc which seem to me as allegoric, metaphoric, symbolic, prophetic, etc which should pass away at its appointed time, the more we try to hold onto the letter instead of the meanings the more entrenched in apostasy the denominations can become

It seems to me there has been a continual sowing and reaping over the past 2000 years and it’s one of those times where there is to be a checking/accounting of how closely the end product to the original is - the Religious/Political world has been/is being/will be held accountable for what they have inspired as they are these authorities, principalities, powers

Eph 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Eph 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 05:02 PM

9,703 posts, read 10,075,097 times
Some religious leader and political systematic rules may have been in place by men, as they sow their rules which may or may not be the rules that God prefers, as the errors of the current troubles in the world are filled with arrogant ideas ...... Still, there may be powers of man, but there is also power of darkness which is a spiritual force which secure curses of fallen angels and these powers of darkness hold sickness and disease and arrogance on people, but these powers of darkness spirits can be taken out thorough Jesus Christ as He has over come these spirits of power of darkness by prayer of authority of the believer...... Wisdom is , it is best to forgive arrogant leaders and ask forgiveness from God for sins, as unforgiving gives these spiritual powers of darkness authority which God will pass if prayers are not there

Old 06-06-2020, 06:16 PM

3,844 posts, read 1,408,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
....I have been reading a lot of the Early Church Fathers, some in depth, some just skimming and the above caught my eye

It means a lot to me because my reading so far has led me to an appreciation of how far denominational Christianity has fallen from the ideal that is in Christ and the Spirit, I am drawn toward the qualities and meaning of the words in Scripture, rather than the outward physical letters, words, phrases, histories, genealogy etc which seem to me as allegoric, metaphoric, symbolic, prophetic, etc which should pass away at its appointed time, the more we try to hold onto the letter instead of the meanings the more entrenched in apostasy the denominations can become...
Yessir, once you follow the bread-crumbs all the way back, it does kinda reveal that, doesn't it?
Reading the Fathers, I also see a continuous trail of reason & analysis, going all the way back; traits our maker endowed us with and expects us to always utilize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity