Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:15 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times

Advertisements

I would say the spirit of the law is against it, I just don't really see how if Love is the greatest message in the Bible we can include the death penalty in such a manner. I see absolutely nothing 'loving' in the action of killing someone, that goes for the state and the criminal imo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
I would say the spirit of the law is against it, I just don't really see how if Love is the greatest message in the Bible we can include the death penalty in such a manner. I see absolutely nothing 'loving' in the action of killing someone, that goes for the state and the criminal imo
God and the bible is also just. God's love embodies everything. God is a loving, merciful, gracious, just, wrathful, jealous God. His love does not negate consequences for our actions.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:41 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
God and the bible is also just. God's love embodies everything. God is a loving, merciful, gracious, just, wrathful, jealous God. His love does not negate consequences for our actions.
There is no room in a loving heart for wrath or jealousy . . . those like ALL negative emotions . . . are purely human emotions that require a flawed human nature to exist, period.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:12 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,630 times
It pretty much comes down to Goverment (whether is be local, state, or federal) trying to play God. Although I am not a Christian, I do believe that if there is a God, he would not approve of death row.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:12 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
Can one be for capital punishment in Christian manner? How do you justify it with the NT? As a Christian, is it your duty to work to end it? Please post petitions if you know of one. What do you use from scripture to deter others from supporting it? Go-
An old thread, to which I already replied, but since its been brought back up, I'll state it again. God ordained and mandates the death penalty for certain kinds of crimes as a part of the laws of divine establishment[volition, marriage, family, and nationalism], all of which were established in Genesis and which are for the protection and orderly function of the human race during the angelic conflict, and which remain consistant throughout every dispensation of human history. Christians should absolutely support the death penalty. It is in keeping with God's establishment principles for a national enity. Every convicted murderer on death row should be taken out and shot or hanged as an example to others who would murder.

In a similiar vein, a soldier in war, who is a Christian, should be the best killer in his platoon. He should pray to the Lord to kill as many of the enemy as possible.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:35 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
38Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. (Matt. 5)

"LOVE thine enemy."

"Vengeance is Mine, I will repay" saith the Lord.
Jesus saved the woman caught in adultery (death penalty was the sentence in this case).
Working on the sabbath and blasphemy were also grounds for death.
The Jews believed in using the death penalty, and they used it to crucify our Lord Jesus.

Blessings,
brian

Old 06-18-2010, 05:09 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
If I were called to sit on a jury, I would tell them that no matter how heinous the crime, I would not be able to cast a vote for the death penalty.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:18 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
If I were called to sit on a jury, I would tell them that no matter how heinous the crime, I would not be able to cast a vote for the death penalty.
Really? I definitely could.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:19 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
In a similiar vein, a soldier in war, who is a Christian, should be the best killer in his platoon. He should pray to the Lord to kill as many of the enemy as possible.

That is the most Christ-like post I have seen in a LONG time.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:28 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
That is the most Christ-like post I have seen in a LONG time.

It is Christ-like, but you wouldn't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity