Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 04:29 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times

Advertisements

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Reverend Ron Davis said, the coach brought a bunch of guys here to be encouraged and out of that process God called people to have a relationship with Him"

I have to side with the angry parents but not for the reason many think. Obviously I don't know all the details but the Pastor's own words send up red flags for me. It sounds like the sinner's prayer was used, some emotional manipulation message, probably the threat of hell was ministered to these young boys and they responded like most young men in such an emotional moment and enviornment would respond but was it a true conversion?
I am not saying, none got saved that night but it doesn't look likely, this was feelings based, pure emotion and why just these nine young men? what was so special about them? we have no clue what these kids are going through in their lives, broke up with a girlfriend, came from a broken home, death in the family so they might as well try on Jesus for size.

Being born again is not built on feelings or emotion it is a spiritual, supernatural, transformation; you have changed, truly repented and put all your trust in Christ. I am not saying that over night one becomes a super Christian because this is just the beginning of the process as the Lord grows us in holiness. I am saying if one is truly converted we will immediately see some signs and evidence of their conversion.

I want my child to go heaven and not be duped by man made gimmicks to con he or she into the kingdom and then hear on that horrid day, "depart from me you worker of lawlessness, I never know you"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 07:27 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Reverend Ron Davis said, the coach brought a bunch of guys here to be encouraged and out of that process God called people to have a relationship with Him"

I have to side with the angry parents but not for the reason many think. Obviously I don't know all the details but the Pastor's own words send up red flags for me. It sounds like the sinner's prayer was used, some emotional manipulation message, probably the threat of hell was ministered to these young boys and they responded like most young men in such an emotional moment and enviornment would respond but was it a true conversion?
I am not saying, none got saved that night but it doesn't look likely, this was feelings based, pure emotion and why just these nine young men? what was so special about them? we have no clue what these kids are going through in their lives, broke up with a girlfriend, came from a broken home, death in the family so they might as well try on Jesus for size.

Being born again is not built on feelings or emotion it is a spiritual, supernatural, transformation; you have changed, truly repented and put all your trust in Christ. I am not saying that over night one becomes a super Christian because this is just the beginning of the process as the Lord grows us in holiness. I am saying if one is truly converted we will immediately see some signs and evidence of their conversion.

I want my child to go heaven and not be duped by man made gimmicks to con he or she into the kingdom and then hear on that horrid day, "depart from me you worker of lawlessness, I never know you"
The parents knew the nature of the trip. Since when did you ever as a parent signed a "parental consent" for an outing for your children and not know where their ultimate destination was? REALLY?

Sign of the times my friend, yet, YOU ain't seeing nothing YET!! You just wait.....First comes silencing, then prosecution. We are here...........

Old 09-09-2009, 09:12 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
The parents knew the nature of the trip.
That is a lie..

Dannie Ammons told The Associated Press he had no idea his son, Robert Coffey, was being taken to a church in another county on a school bus. The teen told them he was going to see a motivational speaker. Eight or nine other players were baptized at Franklin Crossroads Baptist Church, he said.

Ky. mother upset by football player son's baptism*| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/ky-133729.html - broken link)

Old 09-10-2009, 03:08 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
That is a lie..

Dannie Ammons told The Associated Press he had no idea his son, Robert Coffey, was being taken to a church in another county on a school bus. The teen told them he was going to see a motivational speaker. Eight or nine other players were baptized at Franklin Crossroads Baptist Church, he said.

Ky. mother upset by football player son's baptism*| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/ky-133729.html - broken link)
Yep. Betsey seems to want to cling to rationalizations. The truth is that the coach tried to pull the wool over the eyes of the parents, basically pulling a bait-and-switch on the parents. Not exactly Christian behavior, if you ask me.

What's more, depending on which denomination you attend, there are differing viewpoints on when, how, and why you baptize. Finally, parents have an indisputable right to have first say in the religious development of their minor children. I defy any of you to say otherwise.

None of this evidently occurred to the coach or the superintendent, who chose to act in a duplicitous manner. If I were a parent, I would sue everybody I could.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:49 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Lawsuit? Sad, but possibly true.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:06 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Lawsuit? Sad, but possibly true.
Hey, I'm a devout Christian, but I would do so in a skinny minute--if for no other reason than to teach arrogant, officious people like the ones in the article a lesson no one will soon forget. Because what took place here is tantamount to the state involving itself in the religious development of someone's child.

Tell you what. What if your child attended a public school in the Northeast and the football coach, under the false auspices of a school activity, hauled your kid off to an indoctrination class for the Catholic Church? Or a mosque? Sit here and tell me that you wouldn't be deeply offended if the tables were turned on you.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:16 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Believe it or not I'm with Fundy, the coach over stepped his authority. Seems "some" christians aren't seeing the problem with one statement in the article "did it because his friends did it".

But where was the influence from the ones who went first. If anyone has ever played sports in high school, they know the influence the coach has concerning play time, and favoritism. That's how it is, people can rationalize this however they want but they err.

Even if it was not a school event, this coach KNOWS his influence over players, shame, shame.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:21 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
That was way out of bounds. The coach should be fired. Its one thing if the parents knew they were taking the kids to a church, its a complete different matter just to take them without parental knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity