Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 07:49 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think Christians take some parts of the Bible literally and not others because some parts of the Bible are meant to be taken literally, but not others.
Haha, boiled down to simplicity. Good job, Katzpur.

And now we'll get the tired old, "But how do you determine which parts are literal and which parts aren't?"

Old 04-05-2019, 10:58 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
I see many stupid examples listed here all the time, where God was speaking to Moses or someone of that time and the command was specific to the children of Israel ro just the tribe or person that was before them directly, then and then is repeated as to why a Christian does do that now.

Shaving beard, the marrying your rapist, killing everyone in the village, stoning homosexuals, stoning rapists, etc.

If it doesnt apply to you, the command was not for you. If you are a man, women's cleanliness cant apply to you, if you are not a king and the nation of Israel doesnt even exist anymore, it does not apply to you. Generally a command that applied to all or future generations, started with" tell the children of Israel" vs something like the Lord commanded Solomon, Joshua David, etc to do so and so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 01:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I see many stupid examples listed here all the time, where God was speaking to Moses or someone of that time and the command was specific to the children of Israel ro just the tribe or person that was before them directly, then and then is repeated as to why a Christian does do that now.

Shaving beard, the marrying your rapist, killing everyone in the village, stoning homosexuals, stoning rapists, etc.

If it doesnt apply to you, the command was not for you. If you are a man, women's cleanliness cant apply to you, if you are not a king and the nation of Israel doesnt even exist anymore, it does not apply to you. Generally a command that applied to all or future generations, started with" tell the children of Israel" vs something like the Lord commanded Solomon, Joshua David, etc to do so and so.
Exactly. Just cherry pick that parts that appeal to you and disregard the rest. It's how Christianity accumulated 30,000+ different flavours.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:02 PM

1,196 posts, read 753,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haha, boiled down to simplicity. And now we'll get the tired old, "But how do you determine which parts are literal and which parts aren't?"
this is literal ,(Matt. 12:50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother). meaning if we obey Jehovah God, we are seen as Jesus Spiritual family.

this is speaking symbolically ,referring to "the beast coming up out of the earth", (Rev. 13:11-17 Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth, and he had two horns like a lamb and spoke like a dragon). if one would read, we would speak that it's NOT a literal beast. it's basically referring to world power, which goes against Jehovah God. and soon will be done away with...

(Dan. 2:44 And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever). Jesus and his 144,000 ,(Rev. 7:1-4), will righteously rule over Earth ,(Rev. 5:10 And has made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth).

Old 04-06-2019, 07:35 AM

1,146 posts, read 648,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post

Major reasons why Christians lean on some parts of the Bible and reject others include; ignorance, anti-semitism, ignorance, flirtation with sin, ignorance and deliberate obfuscation for personal profit (not prophet) - not to mention ignorance.

Christians WILL NOT study the Bible to learn its lessons. Many flat out refuse to read the book.

A major problem with Xians is Replacement Theology, which took root in the 3rd and 4th centuries when gentile leadership replaced leadership by Jewish believers in the new church. Hate of Jew and Jew Law infiltrated the church and took root. Its flower is observed today in errant theology accepted by many Christians (I call them Xians because they don't deserve the association with Jesus, their JEWISH example and leader). Xians today love to say they are saved by grace, not by Law - BUT have no real idea what either term means. They wrongly believe grace somehow justifies any damnable sin and filthy thing they want to hold in their hands. Cut and paste Bible truth is their creed - not Law and certainly not grace, which is enabled by the Law. Everybody else sees this for what it really is - hypocrisy.

Replacement Theology denies the right of Jews to live, the existence of the modern State of Israel, the continued place Jews have been given as God's oracle (chosen of God to receive and disseminate His Word) and the entire Old Covenant.

Xians fill the void this creates with their own myths and false doctrines - totally without relation to the Old Covenant and sometimes totally based on fabrication. Ask any of them a question rooted in the Old Covenant and they're totally at a loss as to how to answer it. The true reason for the fall of the kingdom of Sodom comes to mind. According to Genesis it had little or nothing to do with the gay life style, but Xians do not know this.

Xians totally refuse to recognize the pivot point of ALL Biblical prophecy - Israel. Xians do not study the Bible to glean its truths. Instead they formulate their own ideology and prop it up with minute references to scripture to give their fantasies legitimacy it would not otherwise enjoy. Xians presume to be prophets of God, which is generally beyond their mandate. It's profitable, not prophet able, for them and so they persist because the god bu$iness makes money from gullible IGNORANT followers. Examples of this are too numerous to mention here.

Finally it needs to be said that ALL MANKIND tends to filter its religious codes and ordinances according to personal preference or political expediency. A prime example is Islam.

Before I retired I was employed on the local campus of a State College. During my breaks I liked to go to the coffee shop for a brew and to schmooze with people I knew - or didn't know. One day I encountered four Muslim students sitting at a table together.

At the time I'd been reading the Qur'an from cover to cover. It's about as interesting as reading the Manhattan phone book - perhaps less so. It's like digging through a soup bowl of ashes to find truth and only discovering a penny. By contrast the Bible is like an entire soup bowl full of diamonds. Anyway, I approached the Muslim students with a question from the Qur'an.

The particular passage I asked them about said that "when the apostle of Allah speaks one should listen to him and do what he instructs". Who is the apostle of Allah? Is it Mohammad [pbuh] or is it one of his followers, is it a caliph or is it a mullah who's been starting new mosques? The Muslim students did not know.

They asked where I'd read this quote and I told them I read it in the Qur'an. Their response shocked me in two ways. First, they didn't know who the apostle of Allah might be and secondly they said I shouldn't read the Qur'an, "because it's too confusing." True story.

Muslims pick and choose the things they want to believe too. In fact there are several passages in the Qur'an that justifies Jews being in eretz Israel (land of Israel). The Qur'an says Allah gave the land to them and anyone who tries to take it away from them is a loser. (*) By the way, the apostle of Allah is Mohammad [pbuh]. The prophet wears many hats, so to speak. Establishing a new religion was one of them. This ought to be Islam 101, but the Muslims weren't familiar with it BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T READ THEIR OWN HOLY BOOK.

It is the nature of man to hold to those rules which are of interest to him and which may profit him in life. It is man's nature to neglect the rest or to make a mockery of it. Xians have been doing it long before Islam was established as a religion and have no intention of changing their ways.

It's their fault and to their shame.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

(*)
Allah gives Palestine to Jews———————

And We made the people who were deemed weak to inherit the eastern lands and the western ones which We had blessed; and the good word of your Lord was fulfilled in the children of Israel because they bore up (sufferings) patiently; and We utterly destroyed what Firon (pharaoh) and his people had wrought and what they built.
- Qur’an 7.137

And when Musa (Moses) said to his people: O my people! remember the favor of Allah upon you when He raised prophets among you and made you kings and gave you what He had not given to any other among the nations. O my people! enter the holy land which Allah has prescribed for you and turn not on your backs for then you will turn back losers.
- Our’an 5.20-21

And We said to the Israelites after him: Dwell in the land: and when the promise of the next life shall come to pass, we will bring you both together in judgment.
- Qur’an 17.104

And.surely they purposed to unsettle you from the land that they might expel you from it, and in that case they will not tarry behind you but a little.
- Qur’an 17.76 (prophecy of attempts to remove Jews from Palestine)

Last edited by Choir Loft; 04-06-2019 at 07:51 AM..

Old 04-06-2019, 06:27 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,441,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
What I'm really getting at by this question is the word for word literal acceptance of Genesis as fact while Revelations in particular seems to be open for speculation as to what it means. There is an actual industry of preachers and authors who spend their careers trying to explain various passages of Revelations to their congregations and the public. Since they take Genesis literally why don't they take Revelations literally? I think people should at least be consistent when they study the bible. If Revelations can be interpreted as being symbolic shouldn't the same thing apply to Genesis? Many religious people, particularly fundamentalists, go ballistic when someone suggests that the days of creation might be symbolic and yet these same people accept all sorts of interpretations and speculations in Revelations instead of a literal meaning. The rapture is an interesting example. As far as I can tell the whole idea of the rapture was based on the supposed visions of a Scottish teenager in the 1800's and it was widely publicized and now many fundamentalists accept it as fact even though it's not based on Christian traditions. What do some of those think?
Moses wrote the creation story in such a way that nobody could take literal, it is extreemly obvious that he wanted everyone to know that it was a spiritual, symbolic story, and that is a fact.

The first sentence of the book of Revelation proves that it was written to everyone and for every generation, everything in the book must shortly come to pass for the reader, AND EVERYTHING IN THE BOOK BEGINS ON ROSH HASHANAH AND CONTINUES THROUGH SHEMINI ATZERET.

Christians don't get Revelation because of the fact that it is a book specifically written from a man in captivity, and so he used the secret language of the feast days, duties performed by priests during the fall holy days, duties of the congregation, and the appointed prayers and idioms spoken in Jewish tradition and riturals to relay his message, and UNLESS the Christian studies all the Jewish feasts in tradition and rituals, they will never understand Revelation, it is kingdom against kingdom within a person consisting of flesh, and spirit.

Here is a little known fact of Revelation, it is impossible to learn all the secrets UNLESS you turn to the Oral Torah, and the reason why is that the bible doesn't cover everything the priests do, everything the congregation is doing and saying during the Holy Fall Feasts.

Christians are always speaking of Matthew 24 and the book of Revelation, but BECAUSE they don't know what is said and done in the fall holy days, they simply cannot see that Revelation and Matthew is literally showing and teaching what happens on Rosh Hashanah, what happens in those ten days to Yom Kipur, Yom kippur, what happens in the 4 days to Sukkot, what happens on Sukkot, on Hashanah Rabbah, on Shemini Atzeret.

THESE are the things Matthew 24 and Revelation is teaching us.

What happens in the 24 hours of Sukkot begining?

What happens in the 24 hours of Rosh Hashanah beginning?

Why is there 30 min of silence in heaven? The incense was just offered, and silence ensues for the 30 min the incense is speaking.

This little known fact should be common knowledge to Christians, but Christians are reading a Jewish book set in a secret language that only Jews would have known, and this secret language was showing how the fall holy days will unfold in your own life, but since Christians don't have the information to study, they continue reading a book that has a lock, and they refuse to pick up the key.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 04-06-2019 at 06:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity