Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:24 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I'm really having trouble figuring out what it is you are trying to discuss given the long post I read...what is it you are trying to say?
I was responding to another writer on this board who calls the beliefs of many other Christian denominations "Satanic deceptions".

Ok, that's his opinion, he has a right to express it in a civil manner. But he justifies making those statements by saying God commands him as a Christian to do that. And he provides six bible references to 'support' his point of view.

Following are some of the sentences written by that writer that were removed from my o/p by someone else, I don't know why. I think they are needed for context so I'll try posting them again. I thought the issue deserved a thread of its own because it's not an uncommon thing for some sincere followers of Jesus Christ to do as that writer does and I think it should be discussed.

"My statement wasn't intended to be rude, simply factual. Whether it's Roman Catholicism, Jehovah's witnesses, Seventh Day Adventist's, New Ageism, etc..., or views such as Preterism, or annihilation, or universalism, or any of the other countless deceptions and distortions that are out there, if they are in conflict with what the Word of God teaches, I will point it out. They all have as their point of origin, Satanic deception.

Believers are commanded to defend the faith and to expose deception.

Jude 3,4; Eph.5:11; 2 Peter 2:1-2; 2 Timothy 4:2-3; Titus 1:13.

Paul had some strong words for the socerer El'ymas in Acts 13:10 "You who are full of all deceit and fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease to make crooked the straight ways of the Lord?"

Those who think believers are to be nothing but sweetness and light don't know what the Bible has to say about it." (end of quote)

In my o/p I quoted all six of the verses he refers to and demonstrated from my point of view that none of them give him valid justification for putting down the beliefs of fellow followers of Jesus Christ. Instead, those verses admonish Christians to rebuke those who do evil deeds such as adultery, fornication, etc.

It is my observation that quite a few sincere Christians do the same thing, judging the beliefs of others compared to their own and putting down the former. It's possible that some people who do that also think they are being commanded by God to do so??

That's what I want to discuss:

Does God command in the Bible the followers of Jesus Christ to rebuke and contend with other Christians just because they have some different beliefs?

Why don't Christians today UNITE against the real enemy - works of darkness - instead of contending with each other over differing doctrines and interpretations of scripture?

Note: my original unaltered o/p appears in Message #3. It might be easier to read it in context there, but unfortunately the links are still messed up.

Last edited by justamere10; 09-21-2009 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 06:39 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,689 times
Default Fixed links

I know this thread has been made awkward but the following links to the bible verses quoted in the o/p should work:

1. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/jude/1/3-4#3

2. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/eph/5/11#11

3. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/2_pet/2/1-2#1

4. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/2_tim/4/2-3#2

5. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/titus/1/13#13

6. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/acts/13/10#10

Old 09-21-2009, 06:56 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Does God command in the Bible the followers of Jesus Christ to rebuke and contend with other Christians just because they have some different beliefs?

Why don't Christians today UNITE against the real enemy - works of darkness - instead of contending with each other over differing doctrines and interpretations of scripture?
The problem, Justamere is that Christians are composed of two kinds . . . believers and followers. It is the believers who proclaim to be Christian and then create all the discord over specifics of BELIEF. The followers are driven to live with the love that Jesus taught . . but it is the result of their inner Jesus and the Holy Spirit . . . whether or not they have ever even heard of Jesus Christ and Christianity. Since the followers actually LIVE as ones who "love God and each other" (despite occasional lapses of human weakness) . . . regardless what they profess . . . they are Christians. The believers are so focused on the WHAT ("trees") of a Christian belief system that they lose sight of the HOW to live ("forest") in "love of God and each other." They have the emphasis backwards . . . belief is only necessary to provide hope and motivate the "state of mind" that lives with LOVE of God (since God is love and one cannot love without God) and "love of each other." BELIEF is NOT the purpose . . . it is the motivator. Those who live with LOVE are way ahead of the game . . . regardless what they believe or why, IMO . . . because that is what Christ did.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:31 PM

87 posts, read 134,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The problem, Justamere is that Christians are composed of two kinds . . . believers and followers. It is the believers who proclaim to be Christian and then create all the discord over specifics of BELIEF. The followers are driven to live with the love that Jesus taught . . but it is the result of their inner Jesus and the Holy Spirit . . . whether or not they have ever even heard of Jesus Christ and Christianity. Since the followers actually LIVE as ones who "love God and each other" (despite occasional lapses of human weakness) . . . regardless what they profess . . . they are Christians. The believers are so focused on the WHAT ("trees") of a Christian belief system that they lose sight of the HOW to live ("forest") in "love of God and each other." They have the emphasis backwards . . . belief is only necessary to provide hope and motivate the "state of mind" that lives with LOVE of God (since God is love and one cannot love without God) and "love of each other." BELIEF is NOT the purpose . . . it is the motivator. Those who live with LOVE are way ahead of the game . . . regardless what they believe or why, IMO . . . because that is what Christ did.
Great post. I totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity