Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:25 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times

Advertisements

If God spoke a boulder into existence right now in your front yard, how old would science tests tell you it is?

And....

How old would it really be?

I'm not asking non-believers, I'm asking believers who say "This 6000yr thing is impossible."

If God is God, then isn't God God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 02:43 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
If God spoke a boulder into existence right now in your front yard, how old would science tests tell you it is?

And....

How old would it really be?

I'm not asking non-believers, I'm asking believers who say "This 6000yr thing is impossible."

If God is God, then isn't God God?
Probably as old as it took for a scientist to get there and get a reading.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Probably as old as it took for a scientist to get there and get a reading.
??? I don't understand your answer. ???

what I'm saying is that IF(that's an if)---IF God is real AND God is God, THEN couldn't God create something that isn't there before He created it?

When God spoke trees into existence, they were seconds old but I bet they didn't look seconds old, ya know?

Again, this is posed to professing Christians who claim the 6000-8000 yr old earth is 'impossible'.

Do we believe with God all things are possible or not?

I'm just asking.....

Old 10-05-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
??? I don't understand your answer. ???

what I'm saying is that IF(that's an if)---IF God is real AND God is God, THEN couldn't God create something that isn't there before He created it?

When God spoke trees into existence, they were seconds old but I bet they didn't look seconds old, ya know?

Again, this is posed to professing Christians who claim the 6000-8000 yr old earth is 'impossible'.

Do we believe with God all things are possible or not?

I'm just asking.....
You said: "If God spoke a boulder into existence right now in your front yard, how old would science tests tell you it is?"

I was saying that it would be as old as the time it took to get a scientist to get there and take a sample because it just got there.

As a professing Christian I believe .. and I guess this is the term for it.. "Thesitic Evolution". Which as far as I can tell I believe in God and the idea of evolution. Thats about the closes term I've found.

Are all things possible with God? Good question... I don't know. Depends on what you mean by "things". Disease? That is still around so I'm not sure what to say about that.. I mean why would he let seemingly good christians suffer?

Beats me.. so the items remain unreconciled in my mind. I believe in God... yet I see Dinosaur bones etc that clearly indicate the earth is more than 6,000 years old. I have every bit of scientific evidence that shows the earth is older than 6,000 years old. However, my faith doesn't waiver because I can't explain evolution as it ties in with the bible, or why dinosaurs exist, or why the earth is older than 6,000 years old.

Is it possible that all the science is wrong.. Well I guess.. but very unlikely. Like 99.9999% unlikely in my book.

Again.. this is my opinion and I as I've said many times it buys me zero every single day.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
You said: "If God spoke a boulder into existence right now in your front yard, how old would science tests tell you it is?"

I was saying that it would be as old as the time it took to get a scientist to get there and take a sample because it just got there.
Yeah but you'd be standing there with a boulder in your front yard and no science test in the world is going to come back and say "This rock is 30 minutes old."

That's what I am saying.

As far as the things possible with God, Jesus didn't mention specifics. I personally don't think He needed to. He just said that "all things are possible with God."

Old 10-05-2007, 03:18 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Something as simple as dendrochronology proves the earth is older than 6K years. And the use of tree rings is neither theory nor conjecture. Nor am I trying to negate the Bible's version of creation.

An example of dendrochronology would be, a sample taken from a standing 4,000 year-old (but long dead) bristlecone is studied. Its outer growth rings were compared with the inner rings of a living tree.
If a pattern of individual ring widths in the two samples prove to be identical at some point, we can carry dating further into the past. With this method of matching overlapping patterns found in different wood samples, bristlecone chronologies have been established almost 9,000 years into the past.

And obviously, if bristlecone pines were living continuously for 9,000 years into the past, then Noah's flood did not kill ALL living things on earth.

Personally, I have never viewed science as running contrary to christianity. And it makes me wonder why anyone would close their mind to simple scientific inquiry.
This intrigues me... A few questions.. I assume these trees are all from the same location? Is it just two trees that are overlapping, or how many? How do you date how long a tree has been "long dead"? Along with Alpha's thot about boulders, in the beginning, a full-grown tree IMO wouldn't have been created with just one ring, but if it would have been cut down right then and there probably would have shown years of rings.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah but you'd be standing there with a boulder in your front yard and no science test in the world is going to come back and say "This rock is 30 minutes old."
But with God all things are possible so its possible science would tell us "This rock is 30 minutes old" right?

Old 10-05-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
But with God all things are possible so its possible science would tell us "This rock is 30 minutes old" right?

No need to bend over backwards to disbelieve, bigthirsty!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
No need to bend over backwards to disbelieve, bigthirsty!!!
But I do believe.. I just believe the Earth is more than 6,000 years old.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
But I do believe.. I just believe the Earth is more than 6,000 years old.
I don't believe in the Earth, I believe in God! (sorry, it's Friday!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity