Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 07:03 PM

138 posts, read 173,179 times

Advertisements

I don't know the Bible very well. Did Jesus know what God had in mind?

Did God know what would happen when he sent Jesus to us?

These are sincere questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 07:17 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,991,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox22 View Post

Yes, just as Isaac knew what his father Abraham had in mind when he took him up the mount to be sacrificed, Christ, who was God in the flesh btw, knew what His purpose was.

There are many more passages but here are three:

John 13:1 ¶ Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

1Jo 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:24 PM

I guess I didn't pay attention in sunday school. Wow. Thats cold.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:43 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
I guess I didn't pay attention in sunday school. Wow. Thats cold.
No, that's love.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:48 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,991,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
No, that's love.
For sure!!

Rom 5:7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.

8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:52 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,441,578 times
Quote:

What He knew FOR SURE WAS: If He did'nt send HIS son, not one of US would have offered ours, including me! Now that's some awesome, unconditional love if I ever saw any!

For God so love the world......(including you and me) that He give His ONLY Begotten Son! WOW!!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:22 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
What He knew FOR SURE WAS: If He did'nt send HIS son, not one of US would have offered ours, including me! Now that's some awesome, unconditional love if I ever saw any!

For God so love the world......(including you and me) that He give His ONLY Begotten Son! WOW!!
Actually if you follow trinitarian doctrine God gave up himself to satisfy himself...

I got in the car the other day and told my kids that whoever got into the car first got a treat. They all rushed to the car. When they got in they asked who got the treat and what is the treat.... I stated that I was in the car first and I don't really need to give myself a treat because when I said it I already knew I was in the car first.

It was funny and we all had a treat (ice cream) but really if you think God had to let himself die in order for mankind to be saved it is sad because God does not need to sacrifice himself in order to give grace. Grace is freely given.

Now if you believe that Christ was a human and not God then it makes more sense that one perfect human sacrifice could appease God.. Not him sacrificing himself..that makes no sense to me.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:38 PM

595 posts, read 762,035 times
1 Corinthians 15:45 So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being" [ Gen. 2:7] ; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit. God is Spirit.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:39 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,104,406 times
Quote:

ANSWER:, Jesus says that he was sent into the world to die for us, Jesus seems to have always known his reason for coming here.
Remember Jesus did not have to be born, it was something he wanted to do.

-----------------------------

ANSWER: God does not have to learn the future, He is already in the future.
Thus God cant learn anything new.
Gos has always known what God will always know,

good questions, ask me more!

Old 10-11-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Actually if you follow trinitarian doctrine God gave up himself to satisfy himself...

I got in the car the other day and told my kids that whoever got into the car first got a treat. They all rushed to the car. When they got in they asked who got the treat and what is the treat.... I stated that I was in the car first and I don't really need to give myself a treat because when I said it I already knew I was in the car first.

It was funny and we all had a treat (ice cream) but really if you think God had to let himself die in order for mankind to be saved it is sad because God does not need to sacrifice himself in order to give grace. Grace is freely given.

Now if you believe that Christ was a human and not God then it makes more sense that one perfect human sacrifice could appease God.. Not him sacrificing himself..that makes no sense to me.

Sounds like you're a great Mom or Dad. As far as your issues concerning the Trinity and your belief that Jesus was simply a man(an extrordinary man), I can relate to that.

And AlanMolstad, I see your point about God being the future. Not learning from it. Assuming an omniscient God, it makes no sense to suppose that He could do ANYTHING without knowing the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity