Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It doesn't matter whether or not they coveted. The command was not to eat.
But it does matter in that it establishes that they had the capacity to sin prior to eating the fruit. I have always said that the fruit caused them to know sin.. but then in re-reading it.. it seems as if the fruit could have had no power in itself yet still they FELT guilty because they defied God.. So if God told them not to eat a worm.. the same thing would have happened. It seems as if it is more about them and less about the fruit. I think people read into it that the fruit had power when it was really just the realization of what they had done. When children go against their parents they hide and feel ashamed... it is the same concept. So it is the child that has the capacity for sin but yet we say they are unaware of the concept of sin.

Quote:
They did multiply after they left the garden. Just because they did not multiply according to your time frame (in the garden) does not imply that they were disobedient.
Yes they did.. and the bible doesn't list all of their children either.. it just lists a couple. So the absence of them in scripture doesn't mean they didn't exist. Same can be said for in the garden.. just because it does not say there were children doesn't mean there weren't.

Quote:
You are making arguments from phantom events. You might as well say they smoked marijuana in the garden since there is no proof to the contrary - therefore we should legalize pot smoking.
Well perhaps they did.. LOL I don't know. We have to keep in mind that Genesis was written by Moses (supposedly) first who lived quite a bit after the events actually happened and even that was lost and re-written by Ezra.. so can we say that the story is complete? Were they vegetarians or meat eaters? Did they have canine teeth or were those just added later when they did eat meat.. all questions that really don't need an answer.

I do know one thing. If I had experienced a painless birth (I have had 4 children naturally so there were no drugs to dull the pain) then having a painful one would be a certain punishment... But before my first a lot of women told me it would be painful.. well they were right.. but that doesn't seem much of a punishment just some womanly insight... However, if I had experienced painless childbirth.. oh the horror and punishment a painful one would be.. I guess you may have to experience that pain for yourself in order to get the full effect... IMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity