Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:18 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,778,155 times

Advertisements

People, I have extended the bet time by a few days, for the sake of scholastic purposes

So, keep the responses coming. I also reached out to some hardcore jewish boys whom I worked with in the past.

"Tony, you becoming a Jew?", they ask

Thanks for all the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 05:53 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,314,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
People, I have extended the bet time by a few days, for the sake of scholastic purposes

So, keep the responses coming. I also reached out to some hardcore jewish boys whom I worked with in the past.

"Tony, you becoming a Jew?", they ask

Thanks for all the responses.
I meant to ask, which view point was each of you coming from? I get the point that she quoted that God is a jealous God, which is true, but what point was she trying to make?

What view point are you coming from as to God being a jealous God. I am trying to understand what the debate is really about?

I understand your point of view when you say that translation can be off, but all you have to do is research the time the word was written and what it meant to them at that time.

I heard a parent saying a word or phrase, they use to use in their time, but it is something totally different to kids now. The parent came into the room and said how are you guys making out. Well, in the parents time that only meant how are you kids getting along, or doing, but to the kids, it means to make out with one another. So, it is important to understand how the word was used in that time.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
I meant to ask, which view point was each of you coming from? I get the point that she quoted that God is a jealous God, which is true, but what point was she trying to make?

What view point are you coming from as to God being a jealous God. I am trying to understand what the debate is really about?

I understand your point of view when you say that translation can be off, but all you have to do is research the time the word was written and what it meant to them at that time.

I heard a parent saying a word or phrase, they use to use in their time, but it is something totally different to kids now. The parent came into the room and said how are you guys making out. Well, in the parents time that only meant how are you kids getting along, or doing, but to the kids, it means to make out with one another. So, it is important to understand how the word was used in that time.
Jealousy is human. We can't really associate it to the divine. It's my belief that the translations we have are skewed or the Bible writers were very careless with words

She's a literalist. She is arguing that the jealous God is rightly translated and rightly so.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Jealousy is human. We can't really associate it to the divine. It's my belief that the translations we have are skewed or the Bible writers were very careless with words

She's a literalist. She is arguing that the jealous God is rightly translated and rightly so.
That is why you shoud study the Torah. I got the word in the hebrew and greek translation. You do know that the word and the verse is in the Torah?

So, this has nothing to do with our translation, because it was there before the english bible came along. God is the one that said that He is a Jealous God, not us or me, but Him, and He said it in the Torah. I can provide the verse in hebrew if you need it.

Well, I don't know what standpoint she is coming from but God is a Jealous God, but not what I call human Jealously. I explained what the word means in an earlier post.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
That is why you shoud study the Torah. I got the word in the hebrew and greek translation. You do know that the word and the verse is in the Torah?

So, this has nothing to do with our translation, because it was there before the english bible came along.
Shawn, English is a dangerous language of synonyms and double meanings and it's open to speculation.

The Bible in my mother tongue (Tamil) does not mention jealousy at all. And this language is one of several thousand years long before English. Scripture was brought to my ancestors by Saint Thomas the Apostle himself and the translation was done from his texts to the local lingo of the time.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:23 PM

It seems that are not understanding what I am saying. I am not talking about the english bible, I am talking about the Torah. I am talking about the language the Torah was written in.

If you study the Torah, not the english bible, you will find the words qin’ah which means to be filled with zeal and to be envious.

The other word zelos, literally means heat, envy.

These words are translated to our english word Jealous.

When I read the torah and come to the word zelos, or qin’ah I use the word as it is written in the torah and I understand what it means in that time, and when I read the english bible, I understand the word was translated as we know Jealous, but I know and understand what the word means in that time.

That is why I said you need to learn and read the Torah for yourself. But you still have to understand the time it was written and our time now.

Ο Θεός είναι ζηλιάρης Θεός. The word that I have in bold means envious. This is what it would look like in greek, english, God is a jealous God.

In hebrew אלוהים הוא אלוהים מקנא, God is a jealous God, but in hebrew the word being used is envy.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 11-01-2009 at 06:50 PM..

Old 11-01-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
It seems that are not understanding what I am saying. I am not talking about the english bible, I am talking about the Torah. I am talking about the language the Torah was written in.

If you study the Torah, not the english bible, you will find the words qin’ah which means to be filled with zeal and to be envious.

The other word zelos, literally means heat, envy.

These words are translated to our english word Jealous.

When I read the torah and come to the word zelos, or qin’ah I use the word as it is written in the torah and I understand what it means in that time, and when I read the english bible, I understand the word was translated as we know Jealous, but I know and understand what the word means in that time.

That is why I said you need to learn and read the Torah for yourself. But you still have to understand the time it was written and our time now.

Ο Θεός είναι ζηλιάρης Θεός. The word that I have in bold means envious. This is what it would look like in greek, english, God is a jealous God.

In hebrew אלוהים הוא אלוהים מקנא, God is a jealous God, but in hebrew the word being used is envy.
I just had a call with an old Jewish guy from the east coast. He thinks so too, pretty much. I lose?

Old 11-07-2009, 09:04 PM

I wanna say thanks to all the folks who contributed to this thread. This thread's got such a depth of theology based on that one commandment and I have say we have a handful of thinkers amongst us.

My schedules were tight today and I grabbed a quick lunch with this woman, since I owed her lunch.

Never ever had a meeting with a young woman where start till end the entire discussion was on theology. Do such species still exist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity