Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What does your church do on Oct. 31 if it is not a regular church service day?
Trunk-or-treat or similar activity/event 5 55.56%
Nothing 2 22.22%
A special church service is held 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 12:56 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,204 times

Advertisements

I thought this might be an interesting thread.

What does your church do for Halloween each year, and why?

For the purpose of this thread, let's assume Halloween falls on a day that normally does not have church services.

Some churches have trunk-or-treat events, or other kid-focused events. Is this to offer a safer or possibly a more God-focused alternative to traditional Trick or Treating? I am sure they vary widely in execution and purpose so I hesitate to draw too many conclusions but I assume it's to provide a safer alternative to traditional trick or treating. On the other hand, depending on how it's done, is it not an endorsement or participation in the celebration of Halloween?

Some churches do not do anything at all. Is this in opposition to Halloween; or is Halloween seen as wholly irrelevant to the church regardless of what members do or do not do on that night?

Some churches have church services in order to put the focus back on God, e.g. come together in worship rather than participating in Halloween celebrations. In some faith traditions, I know it is considered important not to participate in Halloween celebrations, while other churches may not have an outright prohibition on it, but may still be opposed.

This is an interesting topic to me because even within evangelical Christianity there seems to be a cornucopia of ideas on how to handle Oct. 31 every year. Should one abstain because we do not wish to participate in a celebration of dark things, or should one throw a big party because we're not afraid of the devil and therefore it's just candy and costumes? I have seen it espoused both ways.

On the one hand, a 5-year-old putting on a costume and asking for candy, really has nothing to do in their conception with the devil whatsoever. To them it's just smiles and fun. But on the other hand, you are still encouraging them to participate in a pagan, occult holiday, you're introducing concepts like monsters and ghouls and creepy/scary things, which are not Biblical, and I understand that point, too.

I think it's one of those cornerstone discussions about how much do you let your kids enjoy the world versus how much do you insist they be set apart from it?

I look forward to everyone's perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 01:17 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Liturgical churches observe All Saint's Day, which was the entire point of All Hallows Eve in the first place.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:20 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
My Southern Baptist Church has the typical "Fall Fest". Games, food, prizes, etc., free to the community. We usually have ~5,000 guests on our campus. No proselytization; just a safe place to trick or treat.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:24 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
It kind of varies from year to year. Quite often we have a Halloween party or a Trunk or Treat for the kids.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:32 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
My church has a Fall Festival/trunk or treat.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:54 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
The church where I go has a harvest party which anyone can go providing there is No costumes allowed ..... Where there is games and candy and even pony rides for the young kids ........many people outside the church comes for the party as it give a alternative for parents of kids, then door to door trick or treat

Old 10-31-2016, 04:51 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The church where I go has a harvest party which anyone can go providing there is No costumes allowed ..... Where there is games and candy and even pony rides for the young kids ........many people outside the church comes for the party as it give a alternative for parents of kids, then door to door trick or treat
May I ask why no costumes are allowed?

Old 11-01-2016, 05:46 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Take a field trip to the biggest baddest house in the Metro Area...

Erebus Haunted House VIDEO : Halloween Crazier : TravelChannel.com

Old 11-01-2016, 07:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
October 31 is Reformation Day, the day Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to the church door in Wittenburg. It's a festival day for Lutherans. It's usually celebrated the Sunday before Oct. 31, and every few years it falls on a Sunday. Our church also has a pumpkin patch, as a fund-raising activity. They said that they've learned that lots of people want to buy a pumpkin on Halloween Day itself, so they're open and selling.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:15 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,048,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
October 31 is Reformation Day, the day Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to the church door in Wittenburg. It's a festival day for Lutherans. It's usually celebrated the Sunday before Oct. 31, and every few years it falls on a Sunday. Our church also has a pumpkin patch, as a fund-raising activity. They said that they've learned that lots of people want to buy a pumpkin on Halloween Day itself, so they're open and selling.
Yep we celebrated Reformation Day last Saturday here in Holland, singing (among others) the classic reformation song written by Martin Luther 'Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott' ofcourse, and I expect in many German churches aswell. Do they celebrate Reformation Day in the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity