Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 02:33 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times

Advertisements

I think Mike and sciota believe that if we don't believe Jesus is God that we must believe He was just a human.
I believe Christ was divine and has been given all authority in heaven and earth.
He was begotten by holy spirit and begotten by God.
No, He did not have two Fathers. Just one Father.
The Father and holy spirit are not two separate "Persons" as some claim. God is the holy spirit. But there is not a holy spirit God and a God God.
No one every prays to the holy spirit or worships holy spirit in the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 03:05 PM

63,808 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
This is what you always fall back on. When you can use the Scriptures to your advantage, you do so. When the Scriptures are used to prove you wrong, you dismiss them as the opinions and interpretations of men. You have no interest in the truth, and do not know the truth. I just showed you the Scripture that puts the lie to your assertion that the Jews never thought that Jesus was declaring Himself to be God ( John 10:33 by the way), and your defense is to call it 'the opinions and interpretations of carnal men.'
I have no dog in this fight because I have an understanding of the trinity employing consciousness that makes it all moot. All three have the same consciousness. But as I recall . . . you sought to use the fact that the Jews believed He claimed to be God and wanted to stone Him . . . as proof that Jesus claimed it . . . hence your John 10:33 cite. However, you fail to follow it with John 10:36 (King James Version)

36Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
Quote:
There is no getting through to a person who has no desire for the truth. Woman, you do not know God. You do not know the Scriptures. You have been completely and thoroughly deceived, duped, by the god of this world, his majesty, the devil.
There is no getting through to someone who has been indoctrinated with the "precepts and doctrines of men."

Old 11-13-2009, 03:27 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Not only that but it is clear in Eph. that the sword that proceeds from Christ is the Word and the Word is the Spirit of God.. not Jesus. The Word dwells in flesh but is still the Spirit of God.

I have yet to see a rebuttal to my assertion that the Word of God is actually the Spirit of God not Jesus.
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Matthew 3:16 And after being baptized, Jesus went up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descendng as a dove, and coming upon Him, 17) and behold, a voice out of the heavens, saying, ''This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.''

In verse 1 the Word is identified as being with God, and being God. (Distinquished from the other two members of the Trinity.)

In verse 14 the Word became flesh.

In Mat 3:16 The Word is baptised and then the Holy Spirit descends on Him as a dove, and God the Father speaks.

All three members of the Trinity are identified here.

God the Father did not become flesh.

God the Holy Spirit did not become flesh.

God the Son became flesh.

Do you believe the Scriptures or do you not?

Old 11-13-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I have no dog in this fight because I have an understanding of the trinity employing consciousness that makes it all moot. All three have the same consciousness. But as I recall . . . you sought to use the fact that the Jews believed He claimed to be God and wanted to stone Him . . . as proof that Jesus claimed it . . . hence your John 10:33 cite. However, you fail to follow it with John 10:36 (King James Version)

36Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
There is no getting through to someone who has been indoctrinated with the "precepts and doctrines of men."
His title Son of God identifies Him as being God.

His title Son of Man identifies Him as being man.

The Jews understood that He claimed to be God. How is it that you do not?

How is it that you do not understand that the statement in John 8:58 ''Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM'' is Jesus' declaration that He is God? The Jews understood it and sought to stone Him for it. How is it that you do not?

In John 10:30 Jesus said ''I and My Father are one.'' (One in essence, not one in Person. Jesus Christ and God the Father and God the Holy Spirit all are one in that they all have the same essence. But they are different persons.) The Jews sought to stone Him for saying it. They understood that He was saying that He was God. How is it that you do not?

Old 11-13-2009, 04:37 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Matthew 3:16 And after being baptized, Jesus went up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descendng as a dove, and coming upon Him, 17) and behold, a voice out of the heavens, saying, ''This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.''

In verse 1 the Word is identified as being with God, and being God. (Distinquished from the other two members of the Trinity.)

In verse 14 the Word became flesh.

In Mat 3:16 The Word is baptised and then the Holy Spirit descends on Him as a dove, and God the Father speaks.

All three members of the Trinity are identified here.

God the Father did not become flesh.

God the Holy Spirit did not become flesh.

God the Son became flesh.

Do you believe the Scriptures or do you not?
You say that the WORD is baptized.. yet nowhere in Matt. 3 is Christ referred to as the Word... So how do you get that the word is baptized?

Another question for you...

Eph 6:17:Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Jesus states: John 12:47 "As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it."

Rev. 1:16 In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

So we know that the Word of God is the sword of the Spirit... That the Word of God is able to judge... Jesus did not come to judge, and the sword proceeds from Jesus' mouth and Jesus is not the sword..

Therefore Jesus cannot be the Word of God.. but the Spirit of God is more likely the Word of God.

How is it that you cannot see that.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
You say that the WORD is baptized.. yet nowhere in Matt. 3 is Christ referred to as the Word... So how do you get that the word is baptized?

Another question for you...

Eph 6:17:Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Jesus states: John 12:47 "As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it."

Rev. 1:16 In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

So we know that the Word of God is the sword of the Spirit... That the Word of God is able to judge... Jesus did not come to judge, and the sword proceeds from Jesus' mouth and Jesus is not the sword..

Therefore Jesus cannot be the Word of God.. but the Spirit of God is more likely the Word of God.

How is it that you cannot see that.
Relate Matthew with the other two passages. That's why I supplied them.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Relate Matthew with the other two passages. That's why I supplied them.
So you can say that Jesus is the Word because of the Word becoming flesh (anonymous flesh...) and then Jesus is the Word in Matthew without any context to support it and in contradiction to other passages of the bible?

Are you basing your belief on the bible or are you conforming the bible to your belief?

Old 11-13-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
So you can say that Jesus is the Word because of the Word becoming flesh (anonymous flesh...) and then Jesus is the Word in Matthew without any context to support it and in contradiction to other passages of the bible?

Are you basing your belief on the bible or are you conforming the bible to your belief?
Lady, nevermind. You just don't have the ability to understand. I don't know why I bothered.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:07 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I think Mike and sciota believe that if we don't believe Jesus is God that we must believe He was just a human.
I believe Christ was divine and has been given all authority in heaven and earth.
He was begotten by holy spirit and begotten by God.
No, He did not have two Fathers. Just one Father.
The Father and holy spirit are not two separate "Persons" as some claim. God is the holy spirit. But there is not a holy spirit God and a God God.
No one every prays to the holy spirit or worships holy spirit in the Bible.
Just a question . . . do you believe that anyone/anything else besides Jesus is divine? Is he divine because he was begotten . . please explain and if there is scripture you can point me to, I would appreciate it.

I am just asking as I have questions in my own head floating around.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Lady, nevermind. You just don't have the ability to understand. I don't know why I bothered.
Is that a condescending "Lady" or just a "I forgot your name" type Lady?

I think I made it clear using verse that actually SAY that Jesus is not the word by correlation whereas you change flesh to Jesus and Jesus to the Word without anything to support it.. so who is not understanding?

Fit the bible around your beliefs if you want.. I try to fit my beliefs around the bible... except when it comes to shellfish... I still love lobster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity