Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:29 AM

298 posts, read 998,603 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I received an email from my boss's secretary inviting the staff to the annual "Winter Office Party". (it has always been called "Christmas Party" before this year) I suppose that title would be fine until she said that we would be exchanging Secret Santa gifts at the party (like usual). I was so ticked that they are going politically correct that I was going to write back "So does this mean that this is the annual Christmas party?" but I didn't want to give them any reason to mark me as a problem person. So instead when I responded nicely I changed the title of the subject to say "Christmas party" hoping to get the point across. When I attend I will be sure to wear my cross necklace and say "Merry Christmas" to everyone.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:52 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samstersmom View Post
Yesterday I received an email from my boss's secretary inviting the staff to the annual "Winter Office Party". (it has always been called "Christmas Party" before this year) I suppose that title would be fine until she said that we would be exchanging Secret Santa gifts at the party (like usual). I was so ticked that they are going politically correct that I was going to write back "So does this mean that this is the annual Christmas party?" but I didn't want to give them any reason to mark me as a problem person. So instead when I responded nicely I changed the title of the subject to say "Christmas party" hoping to get the point across. When I attend I will be sure to wear my cross necklace and say "Merry Christmas" to everyone.
What you perceive as "political correctness", I perceive as Christ working to eradicate the attachment of his name to a pagan holiday that has absolutely nothing to do with him or God. Celebrate, exchange gifts, eat a good meal and have a good time with family and friends....but please don't associate it with the gift of the Messiah that God sent for us.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:22 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
What you perceive as "political correctness", I perceive as Christ working to eradicate the attachment of his name to a pagan holiday that has absolutely nothing to do with him or God. Celebrate, exchange gifts, eat a good meal and have a good time with family and friends....but please don't associate it with the gift of the Messiah that God sent for us.
Hum...hey ChristyGrl? you are spot on with that statement! I'm pleasantly surprised! Is this the first time I've agreed with you? But seriously Jesus has nothing to do with Christmas (check facts it was a pagan day that the Catholics turned into a so-called Christian holiday) so we don't celebrate it and would love to see it banned in America as the puritans did 230 some years ago.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 AM

298 posts, read 998,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Hum...hey ChristyGrl? you are spot on with that statement! I'm pleasantly surprised! Is this the first time I've agreed with you? But seriously Jesus has nothing to do with Christmas (check facts it was a pagan day that the Catholics turned into a so-called Christian holiday) so we don't celebrate it and would love to see it banned in America as the puritans did 230 some years ago.
I am Roman Catholic so that is why we celebrate it. Where are the Roman Catholics on here?

Old 11-19-2009, 09:16 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,129 times
Quote:
I celebrate Christmas as a time when family gets together and we exchange gifts and eat and enjoy one another. There is no religious connotation to it at all in my home.

But this sentence..."would love to see it banned in America as the puritans did 230 some years ago"... come on! Are we the land of the free or not?

To the OP: I agree it gets out of control, but I'm sure your office party has nothing to do with anything religious anyway, so who cares what they call it?

Old 11-19-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I don't feel it is necessary to ban it....just keep it as the secular holiday that is it and don't try to bring Christ into it. To me it is no different than Thanksgiving, Birthdays, etc...it just a family celebration and nothing more.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstersmom View Post
I am Roman Catholic so that is why we celebrate it. Where are the Roman Catholics on here?
The question is why do you try to infuse Christ into a pagan holiday?

Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
I think Christmas has a better ring to it, than Saturnalia

Old 11-19-2009, 09:29 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,491 times
Quote:
Yesterday I received an email from my boss's secretary inviting the staff to the annual "Winter Office Party". (it has always been called "Christmas Party" before this year)
That's the silliest thing I've heard today....I probably wouldn't even attend. Have a CHRISTMAS party at your own home, and invite who you want......

Really.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:33 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post

Wow! What a profound answer.

I gotta spread the love before giving you any more reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity