Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:48 PM

713 posts, read 1,957,418 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGMG_PVaJoI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 09:10 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,415 times
Powerful!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:39 PM

Yeah David Wilkerson does a good job... most powerful preacher I have ever heard.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:16 PM

Wow... only one response... for one of the most powerful Christian revival videos online.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:00 PM

179 posts, read 289,611 times
I don't visit much, But I am glad you bumped this up. great message and
as far as I belive .. scary true.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky1 View Post
I don't visit much, But I am glad you bumped this up. great message and
as far as I belive .. scary true.
Thanks for posting this.

I haven't heard of this guy before but I am a big fan of Paul Washer, a preacher who offers a similar indictment of "Americhurch," where one can guarantee themselves a ticket to heaven by walking up to the altar and saying a prayer. Proof of this eternal security is then of course advertised by wearing a t-shirt that says "Jesus Saves."

As someone reminded me the other day, "We tend to forget that Jesus Christ is not an American."

Old 01-02-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Thanks for posting this.

I haven't heard of this guy before but I am a big fan of Paul Washer, a preacher who offers a similar indictment of "Americhurch," where one can guarantee themselves a ticket to heaven by walking up to the altar and saying a prayer. Proof of this eternal security is then of course advertised by wearing a t-shirt that says "Jesus Saves."

As someone reminded me the other day, "We tend to forget that Jesus Christ is not an American."
David Wilkerson was preaching in the streets when Paul Washer was in diapers : )

Old 01-02-2010, 06:39 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,108 times
I disagree with David Wilkerson's call to anguish. It is nothing less than drama being done at the pulpit.

I would not have said anything if this call was ushered to non-believers, but it is given to the believers.

The yoke is easy and the burden is light because it is on God to do it: not only to minister as we we lean on Him to enable us to serve Him, but to finish what He has started in us.

There is a call, but not to anguish. Such emotional display to get others in that emotional state is not one born of God. God will lead those in an anguish state if He so desires, but to prompt such a response from the pulpit is being done by emotions.

The call is to be ready, looking to the author and finisher of our faith to help us run that race, laying aside sin that so easily entangles us as well as any works of iniquity that denies Him as we bear witness of the Son, Jesus Christ: the Good News to man.

Laying a guilt trip on the churches for entertainment when he is putting on a drama show himself and for what? To provoke believers emotionally to serve the Lord... to provoke the churches to act... which is pretty much the same rudiment of these churches that "inspire" believers through entertainment to serve Him.

Has anyone done anything different after seeing the video?

I'm not seeking to shame anyone: just making a point how we are led by the Good Shepherd through the Holy Spirit in us: not by our emotions.

So let us exhort one another to serve Him to give the call to repentance as the call is for the believers to be ready... not to anguish... not to some deep seated emotional need to feel bad to prove that they are in the same mind with Christ to reach others... but to heed the call to preach the Gospel when opportunities arises, provided by the Lord for He is at work as no man can come to the Son unless the Father draws him.

Again, the weight of the ministry is on the Lord as the weight for us living the christian life is on the Lord to help us to live as His. He knows those that are seeking Him from those that are not.

Again, I declare in the face of the call to anguish, Jesus is Lord.

So as the Lord leads, give the call for repentance to believe in the Son for life so that sinners may be converted to Him and have power from God to be delivered from their sins so that they no longer live in them.

As the Lord leads again... give the call to be ready towards the believers, looking to Jesus, and holding confidence that He that began a good work in you, He shall finish it to His glory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I am about to share is another double-minded preaching of our brother, David Wilkerson. This is for your edification and discernment: as we are to look to Jesus Christ to be Our Good Shepherd: not any man.

I remember a newsletter I had back in 1994 regarding the role of the Holy Spirit and how the Lord used the scriptures in that newsletter to help me test the spirits that was of the "holy laughter" movement as not being of the Lord, not that the newsletter was exposing the "holy laughter" movement as not of the Lord, but the scriptures within it did. That newsletter was from David Wilkerson.

I thank the Lord for providing that newsletter that was given to me from someone else and was stuck in my Bible unread until that time.

As I followed David Wilkerson somewhat, years later, I read at his site addressing the problem of those seeking signs and wonders coming to his congregation, and stated those that seek such things, shall be disappointed. He went on to say that he did not know why those seeking signs and wonders would go to his church.

I wrote an e-mail explaining why. David Wilkerson talked like them. Holy Spirit this.. Holy Spirit that. In one newsletter, he relayed that the Holy Spirit was brooding over New York. No, He is not. I reminded him of his newsletter on the role of the Holy Ghost in that he will not speak of himself so he would not make it known that he is brooding over New York.

1 John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 5They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. 6We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error:

Time went on... and now, when I go to his site, I read of the coming of the Holy Spirit in the worship place. I read of asking for the Holy Spirit again. I read of asking the Holy Spirit directly to bring back the fire.

A Fresh Outpouring of the Holy Spirit | World Challenge

A little leaven leavens into a whole lump.

David Wilkerson may speak against some weird manifestations, but the rudiment by which these weird manifestations occur are the same as by what he is doing, calling on the Holy Spirit to come.

Jesus said that no good tree will produce a bad fruit and no bad tree will produce a good fruit. Believers from both sides of these phenomenons will point and say that is not of God but this one is, but yet they both cannot answer why God would permit this to occur when they had both called on the name of the Holy Spirit.

The least of this rational is thinking that the Holy Spirit needs to be called to convict sinners.

The Holy Spirit doesn't need to be in the worship place when He is in us. It is the Father that draws all men unto the Son: Not the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit put words on our mouths to speak as He convicts by the word spoken. When they believe in Jesus Christ, then they are saved thus the time when having received the Spirit of promise.

God doesn't need believers to pray for the Holy Spirit to come in order for Him to work when He is in the believers to minister. You do not see that as a practise before the disciples began to preach... and it isn't a practise now.

Matthew 10:19But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. 20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

If they were not to think how or what to speak, then certainly, no prayer calling for the Holy Spirit is required so that they can speak either.

So bottomline... there is only one name under the heavens by which men are to call upon to be saved.. to pray to...even to ask the Father in His name... as it is His name that is above every other name and that is the name of Jesus Christ, Whom the Holy Spirit seeks to glorify, speaking not of himself but of the Son so as to glorify the Son as the Divine Witness of the Son of God.

As we are to decrease in witnessing of ourselves so as to bear witness of Jesus as John the Baptist did in John 3:28-30, so does the Holy Spirit: John 16:13-15 so that we together as led by the Holy Spirit will share the same testimony regarding the Son in seeking the glory of the Son and thereby the Father as well. John 15:26-27 John 13:31-32 & John 17:1-5

Anyway... let us not follow the crowd or the next sensation. Follow Jesus... and trust Him to help you to follow Him and to serve Him. Amen.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:58 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
I disagree with David Wilkerson's call to anguish. It is nothing less than drama being done at the pulpit.

I would not have said anything if this call was ushered to non-believers, but it is given to the believers.

The yoke is easy and the burden is light because it is on God to do it: not only to minister as we we lean on Him to enable us to serve Him, but to finish what He has started in us.

There is a call, but not to anguish. Such emotional display to get others in that emotional state is not one born of God. God will lead those in an anguish state if He so desires, but to prompt such a response from the pulpit is being done by emotions.

The call is to be ready, looking to the author and finisher of our faith to help us run that race, laying aside sin that so easily entangles us as well as any works of iniquity that denies Him as we bear witness of the Son, Jesus Christ: the Good News to man.

Laying a guilt trip on the churches for entertainment when he is putting on a drama show himself and for what? To provoke believers emotionally to serve the Lord... to provoke the churches to act... which is pretty much the same rudiment of these churches that "inspire" believers through entertainment to serve Him.

Has anyone done anything different after seeing the video?

I'm not seeking to shame anyone: just making a point how we are led by the Good Shepherd through the Holy Spirit in us: not by our emotions.

So let us exhort one another to serve Him to give the call to repentance as the call is for the believers to be ready... not to anguish... not to some deep seated emotional need to feel bad to prove that they are in the same mind with Christ to reach others... but to heed the call to preach the Gospel when opportunities arises, provided by the Lord for He is at work as no man can come to the Son unless the Father draws him.

Again, the weight of the ministry is on the Lord as the weight for us living the christian life is on the Lord to help us to live as His. He knows those that are seeking Him from those that are not.

Again, I declare in the face of the call to anguish, Jesus is Lord.

So as the Lord leads, give the call for repentance to believe in the Son for life so that sinners may be converted to Him and have power from God to be delivered from their sins so that they no longer live in them.

As the Lord leads again... give the call to be ready towards the believers, looking to Jesus, and holding confidence that He that began a good work in you, He shall finish it to His glory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I am about to share is another double-minded preaching of our brother, David Wilkerson. This is for your edification and discernment: as we are to look to Jesus Christ to be Our Good Shepherd: not any man.

I remember a newsletter I had back in 1994 regarding the role of the Holy Spirit and how the Lord used the scriptures in that newsletter to help me test the spirits that was of the "holy laughter" movement as not being of the Lord, not that the newsletter was exposing the "holy laughter" movement as not of the Lord, but the scriptures within it did. That newsletter was from David Wilkerson.

I thank the Lord for providing that newsletter that was given to me from someone else and was stuck in my Bible unread until that time.

As I followed David Wilkerson somewhat, years later, I read at his site addressing the problem of those seeking signs and wonders coming to his congregation, and stated those that seek such things, shall be disappointed. He went on to say that he did not know why those seeking signs and wonders would go to his church.

I wrote an e-mail explaining why. David Wilkerson talked like them. Holy Spirit this.. Holy Spirit that. In one newsletter, he relayed that the Holy Spirit was brooding over New York. No, He is not. I reminded him of his newsletter on the role of the Holy Ghost in that he will not speak of himself so he would not make it known that he is brooding over New York.

1 John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 5They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. 6We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error:

Time went on... and now, when I go to his site, I read of the coming of the Holy Spirit in the worship place. I read of asking for the Holy Spirit again. I read of asking the Holy Spirit directly to bring back the fire.

A Fresh Outpouring of the Holy Spirit | World Challenge

A little leaven leavens into a whole lump.

David Wilkerson may speak against some weird manifestations, but the rudiment by which these weird manifestations occur are the same as by what he is doing, calling on the Holy Spirit to come.

Jesus said that no good tree will produce a bad fruit and no bad tree will produce a good fruit. Believers from both sides of these phenomenons will point and say that is not of God but this one is, but yet they both cannot answer why God would permit this to occur when they had both called on the name of the Holy Spirit.

The least of this rational is thinking that the Holy Spirit needs to be called to convict sinners.

The Holy Spirit doesn't need to be in the worship place when He is in us. It is the Father that draws all men unto the Son: Not the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit put words on our mouths to speak as He convicts by the word spoken. When they believe in Jesus Christ, then they are saved thus the time when having received the Spirit of promise.

God doesn't need believers to pray for the Holy Spirit to come in order for Him to work when He is in the believers to minister. You do not see that as a practice before the disciples began to preach... and it isn't a practice now.

Matthew 10:19But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. 20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

If they were not to think how or what to speak, then certainly, no prayer calling for the Holy Spirit is required so that they can speak either.

So bottom line... there is only one name under the heavens by which men are to call upon to be saved.. to pray to...even to ask the Father in His name... as it is His name that is above every other name and that is the name of Jesus Christ, Whom the Holy Spirit seeks to glorify, speaking not of himself but of the Son so as to glorify the Son as the Divine Witness of the Son of God.

As we are to decrease in witnessing of ourselves so as to bear witness of Jesus as John the Baptist did in John 3:28-30, so does the Holy Spirit: John 16:13-15 so that we together as led by the Holy Spirit will share the same testimony regarding the Son in seeking the glory of the Son and thereby the Father as well. John 15:26-27 John 13:31-32 & John 17:1-5

Anyway... let us not follow the crowd or the next sensation. Follow Jesus... and trust Him to help you to follow Him and to serve Him. Amen.
That's your opinion and it does matter, so thank you for sharing Enow. There is a message in there for someone though, and I truly believe the intended recipient will receive it. Don't knock it just yet, my friend.

Sometimes we just need to take our eyes of the messenger and concentrate on the message. If I remember correctly, didn't He even use an ASS?

Old 01-02-2010, 07:00 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,091 times
Thank you for the video, it went to the core of my heart. Bless you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity