Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 06:24 AM

381 posts, read 798,876 times

Advertisements

I was actually speaking and I was filled with joy to bless the men with a word. I have lost my job 2 months ago but God is good and opportunities are coming.
This man had three young kids a wife, was active in the fellowship and a Seminary grad, a minister for 6 years or so. recently he had doing something sales related. I knew him briefly but he did ask me out for coffee and though I was excited about sharing, he wanted to recruit me for sales. Never heard his story.

want your input: the title of my talk was "His Promises are True." My testimony was based on journal-ling for twelve years and I had "exhibit after exhibit" as proof since many skeptics don't think God can and will. I have recorded so many verses of God's assurance, His truth about it in Mat,Mark, Luke and John especially when He says" All whom the Father has given me are mine and no one can snatch them out of my hand" many many more which assure us being kept in peace, entering His rest. etc etc

I am not shaken at all but see this as an act by which Satan overtook this man and the man lost the battle. what we don't know is unconfessed sin,(ref Heb 10:26) and others

yesterday, a notable pastor used 1 Kings 19 speaking of Elijah begging to die under the tree as a way of "excusing" this act. I believe he will have to give an account dont any of you? so has he been moved maybe from "absent from the body" to maybe "sleep" until the white throne judgment"
I realize this is subject to opinion so any dialog is good. Also, next week at yet another breakfast I want to use some of your input to share with my brothers as we talk about this.

Ironically, yesterday instead of going to the funeral, I was called to continue ministering to a young man ,and son of another brother who recently dropped out of his senior year in college, who had been suffering depression. I'm joyful for God having given me a chance to serve.

so, in short, there are unknowns, but my joy in the Lord is the source of my strength and every promise I hang my faith on was "offended" not questioned here.
as Jesus said" let the dead bury the dead" I had no desire to go to the funeral and probably I won't go this Tuesday when everyone gets up on open mike and shares jokes and other recollections. His sin is not mine to forgive at this point so..........

what do you think about this and what will or how will God handle this?
I do believe "once saved,always saved" though not a verse in and of itself but a doctrine as well as Heb 10:26 He definitely blew this out and really mocked the sacrifice at the cross. I say what Jesus did was enough but it is a real challenge to balance the science and medical of depression with the reality of the spiritual. I am not a christian psychologist but a little child who wants to sit at the lap of Jesus.

BTW, hello to all my brothers and sister in Christ and happy thanksgiving

Last edited by dave737driver; 11-21-2009 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 11:17 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Dave, suicide is such a hard thing to make sense out of and in the case of a beloved family member as was my experience..

I could never bring myself to even question what was in the heart and mind of Chas that day..
He had big problems for such a young life and many accomplishments were expected and forced upon him that he simply did not have the intelligence, the stamina nor the desire to do..

He knew God, he loved God but he just couldn't be what parents and peers wanted him to be..At the moment of his death something came over me and I released him and my judgements into the loving, forgiving arms of my God..And I knew that Chas had found peace at last...

How can a Christian justify that it is alright to kill in battle or self defense and not justify suicide?

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Dave

Old 11-21-2009, 08:18 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Suicide is not a unpardonable sin though Jesus Christ, but a sin of the earth. See suicide is not well come by Jesus, but children of God who are under stress and commit suicide go on to be with the Lord. See the ten commandments was prepared for sinners to get along. Sure if a child of God rejected Jesus and pushed Holy Spirit away and lost his anointing, then that person would be lost to the Lord Jesus said ``Let all who never sin throw the stones`` The mans salvation is based on him accepting Jesus, Being redeem by the power of Holy Spirit, obeying the commands of Jesus Christ. The person goes looney and suicide Then the Lord judge him. See Judas Iscariot had suicide and was condemed by the people in the word of God . Judas rejected Jesus By dishonoring him by his rebellion

Old 11-21-2009, 08:41 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Praying for his family..

Old 11-21-2009, 08:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i dont think pray fixed everything. i think we are active participants in gods universe. our participation is required. which is why the servant that buried the coin the the yard got a whupin.

sorry about your friend.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:59 PM

241 posts, read 379,295 times
My condolescences go out to the family and friends. Even though I don't know this man, but from my understanding he was a brother in Christ. All we can say is that he is in the hands of a just God. May God continue to bless the family and friends and comfort their hearts.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:34 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
Sorry, to hear about your brother in Christ. It is a sad thing to see someone take their life because things became unbearable to take. He may have lost this battle here on earth, but God promised to never leave nor forshake a believer. It may be hard to bear that He took his life, but atleast he is resting now and free from torment.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:33 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
His next waking momen, when the resurrection comes, will be before Christ, not as his judge but as the One Who died for him. There will be no condemnation.

He will be like the woman caught in adultery. Remember that story?

Old 11-22-2009, 11:28 AM

381 posts, read 798,876 times
thanks for all you replies. I was going through some text this morning in 1 john 4 and 5, 1 Peter, and again. I guess we all have been given a measure a faith. the thing I know is I do not know what was in his heart or what caused him to detour that morning. The promises made by Christ, all the miracles involving deliverance from unclean spirits, torment, affliction and other things make me think that Jesus is powerful over depression too.

That is probably where all that in the promises of the New Testament become juxtaposed to what happened here. I accept that he could have been saved and in a moment of total weakness and collapse took his life. Then I start reading scripture and see "we are more than conquerors'"greater is He that is within me than he that is in the world"

that is what is happening. I see it for what it is. Then I read this two edged sword which I stand on and know it is enough. But of course, I know too, "that whosoever thinks he stands, take heed lest he falls." so many warnings from Paul and Jesus speak differently to me than some of the promises to be "kept" by the Holy spirit until the day of redemption.

I'm praying for the survivors. I've been taught that prayer cannot help the soul that has perished and gone on. He has fallen asleep. When Paul said "absent from the body present from the Lord" did he include anyone who takes their life, or does scripture suggest that at the judgment seat, he may have to address the suicide?

Old 11-22-2009, 04:41 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave737driver View Post
I'm praying for the survivors. I've been taught that prayer cannot help the soul that has perished and gone on. He has fallen asleep. When Paul said "absent from the body present from the Lord" did he include anyone who takes their life, or does scripture suggest that at the judgment seat, he may have to address the suicide?
Paul actually wrote:
2Co 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

He was not saying that when one dies one is automatically present with the lord.

The Bible says "the dead know nothing."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity