Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 03:18 PM

271 posts, read 658,652 times

Advertisements

It would appear that looking over various posts, all Christians would describe Heaven virtually the same. (As a literal, peaceful place with perfect weather, love, peace, beauty etc) However, their description of Hell varies from a literal lake of fire where people are tormented for all eternity to annhilation to however they want to describe it.

Why the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 03:23 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,589,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post
It would appear that looking over various posts, all Christians would describe Heaven virtually the same. (As a literal, peaceful place with perfect weather, love, peace, beauty etc) However, their description of Hell varies from a literal lake of fire where people are tormented for all eternity to annhilation to however they want to describe it.

Why the difference?
well heaven...perfect weather? it's perfect because God is there, there is no sun or moon because God is the light and there will always be light.

and hell......Yes we call it a lake of fire but no one knows if hell is "literally" fire, hell is a place of torment separated from God's goodness and graces...for instance God blesses us on this earth with stable ground, food when we are hungry, water when we are thirsty, fresh air to breathe, light to see and the list goes on. Hell is a place where that won't be. You will still have the urges, wants, needs but God's grace won't be there to fulfill them.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:25 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,209,508 times
What they both have in common is we can only compare them to what we've seen in our world, or in our imagination (an image).

Both are wrong.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:31 PM

271 posts, read 658,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
well heaven...perfect weather? it's perfect because God is there, there is no sun or moon because God is the light and there will always be light.

and hell......Yes we call it a lake of fire but no one knows if hell is "literally" fire, hell is a place of torment separated from God's goodness and graces...for instance God blesses us on this earth with stable ground, food when we are hungry, water when we are thirsty, fresh air to breathe, light to see and the list goes on. Hell is a place where that won't be. You will still have the urges, wants, needs but God's grace won't be there to fulfill them.
As an atheist God is not a part of my life but I'm still have food, water, fresh air, stable ground, light to see etc. When I'm dead I'm dead and I won't have the urges, wants, needs etc

Old 12-04-2009, 05:15 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,589,784 times
Quote:
As an atheist God is not a part of my life but I'm still have food, water, fresh air, stable ground, light to see etc. When I'm dead I'm dead and I won't have the urges, wants, needs etc
That is why I said, we on this earth are blessed.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:17 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,778,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
That is why I said, we on this earth are blessed.
Good one, Fundie

Old 12-04-2009, 05:29 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,553,299 times
Quote:

Why the difference?
The difference lies in the fact that as humans we are unique in our thinking and our interpretation of most any written word and as Christians that includes the bible..We are called Christians because we believe He existed some 2000 years ago and that He was the son of God..
After that we have different opinions of what and why Jesus said what He did according to scripture..

Old 12-04-2009, 05:51 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,034,723 times
Quote:

Why the difference?
To me, heaven (light) and hell (darkness) are one big place. The more encrustments you have, the farther you are away from the light. As you correct yourself through forgiveness and love, you move back into the light. I don't believe in the fire and brimstone but I do believe those in darkness suffer through their own misdeeds. Can be pretty painfull to forgive and learn to love the self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity