Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 03:42 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times

Advertisements

The priest in today's sermon gave a passionate discourse on "Happy Holidays" as the packed church crowd cheered.

On the way out, we had a little chat as usual.

Antlers, in his recklessness, proceeds to drop a bomb.

"Happy Holidays, Father" <grins>

The old man got offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 03:55 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Y-aYWmUXg

Old 12-06-2009, 04:21 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,871 times
I do

Old 12-06-2009, 05:34 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
We`ll you should have said Merry Christmas, but would have been to early at that time, or may be say`` May God bless you`` and see his response. next time. There should be some joy of the spirit there. Christians have a sense of humour but it is completely diffrent then the person who is not anointed of the Holy Spirit, which is more of Joy and childlike innocence Humour than the bash, ironic, perverted, demeanor, ridicule, type humour of the world may have and offended appearance will occur, but take no offence.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Some priests have a great sense of humor and some don't. I remember one priest who practically did stand-up as part of a guest lecture, but I found it very inspiring.

However in this case he might have felt like you were mocking him or his homily and responded poorly due to that.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:50 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,607 times
I know my Priest does. He's a great man to be around.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:02 PM

478 posts, read 773,300 times
HA! Seems like YOU "got" his sermon, and he didn't! Really though, in his position, he should have used a bit more diplomacy and chuckled along with you, whether or not he "appreciated" your humor.

Your story reminds me of something I had said to my minister when I was a very little girl, I think about 5 years old...my parents always took great care in teaching me proper manners and etiquette, and they had told me that although WE celebrate christmas, some people are Jewish and celebrate Hanukkah and to be sure to address each person's holiday properly- IF I knew their faith. And if I didn't, or if there was any question, I was simply to say "Happy Holidays" in order to be polite. Well, one day after church we did the whole greet the minister thing, and he said "Merry Christmas" to me. I said "Happy Holidays" back to him. After walking away my parents asked me why I didn't say merry christmas- I said "because I didn't know what religion he was". ! Of course they thought that was hilarious, and even though I don't really remember the whole scene they made sure to tell everyone about it and embarrass me enough over the years so now I can't help but know it and laugh as well! And that might well be one of the reasons I now refuse to say the PC "happy holidays" and go for the "merry christmas"!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:31 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
I think anyone who doesn't have a sense of humor is not a happy person. Laughter is the best medicine for anyone. It can heal the sick and bring sunshine on a rainy day. If you don't know how to laugh, even at yourself, I say you should stay away other from people.
This Reverend has a great sense of humor and it doesn't matter what the joke is about!!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:38 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Ok, I showed up at the church late last night. I went over to the priest house and there he was in the hallway ambling with a rosary in hand. I apologized

And then, he stopped and punched my stomach. "Oh, forget it, I have forgotten about it"

That punch is exactly what I expected when I landed the bizarre joke. Coz the priests I have known since my kiddo years have played cricket with me.

That's a cassock, with cricket sneakers, a cap and cricket gloves, and the cassock folded and tied up in the hip, while at play.

I was also in the church last evening coz I was a little flustered about the going-on's of my life and the question of my shaky future was hanging over my head like the sword of Damocles.

I asked him if he can pray for me. So, in the still of the night, I kneeled and he placed his frail palm on my head and prayed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity