U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 04:14 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,695,262 times

Advertisements

I am sure that you all know of the oathe where they come up to you if you are a witness in a judicial trial to "swear on the Bible" to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help ye God" before you can take the stand as a witness?

I wish to point out a conundrum in what I see as an offense other than the obvious ignoring of Jesus's own words about not swearing an oathe to do so. Matthew 5:33-37

We have all seen this being done: The prosecuters will direct the witness to answer only in a yes or no answer, but not all questions can be answered truthfully in a yes or no answer. The situation is compounded because as the witness have sworn to tell the whole truth, but cannot honestly answer the question in a yes or no answer, the judge will hold the witness in contempt for not answering in a yes or no format.

The law is forcing you by an oathe to tell the whole truth, but the law process in the court room prevents you from doing so, and yet all eyes are on you to be a honest witness on the stand, not only before mankind, but before God as well.

What is really irritating is that as much as everyone will say that no one is above the law, former President Clinton committed perjury, and he did not get punished for it. I am surprised that society allowed this to occur. If our leaders do not follow the examples, then what is the point of the oathe if the higher judicial courts do not uphold them?

Getting to the root of the matter, what good is making that oathe to tell the truth? It doesn't make one tell the truth.

One can go to the stand and be informed to tell the truth to the best of their ability as directed and warned that there will be a penalty for lying or purposefully giving a false witness. One can stress the matter of telling the truth by stating what that penalty is. One does not need to make an oathe or swear to tell that "whole" truth on the Bible, especially when the parameters of the court process prevents them from doing so.

Seems that if anything should be dropped in this country, the oathe at the witness stand should have been dropped a long time ago by God fearing believers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 07:38 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,781,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
I am sure that you all know of the oathe where they come up to you if you are a witness in a judicial trial to "swear on the Bible" to tell the truth,
Actually I was on a jury this year, and they did not use a bible...

Old 12-12-2009, 07:40 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,781,479 times
The fact they they dont use a bible anymore was a bit of a let down.
In all the movies I have seen they always used a bible.
But my guess is that at some point back in the 70s or 80s they dropped its use.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:45 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,935,566 times
So true Amen

Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 PM

733 posts, read 4,447,908 times
Every jurisdiction I practice in allows a witness to either swear or affirm as the witness may prefer. Some still have bibles. Most do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity