Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:35 PM

45,557 posts, read 27,164,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
You're disputing God's Word. Had they not spoken in tongues as the evidence of receiving the Holy Ghost, then the Jews would not have been astonished -- as they would not have known that the gift of the Holy Ghost had been given to the gentiles. God's method has not changed, and the doubters will be spewed right into the tribulation period. You can bank on it.
I agree w/ that - in that instance.

Quote:
I stand on God's Word.
Here's God's word.

1 Cor. 12:7-11 - But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.

Not all will get tongues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 07:43 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,942,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
It's your thread.

If you want to point to tongues for the assurance of eternal life... I can't stop you. It is a public forum.

But let it be known to all the readers that I point to faith in Jesus Christ for eternal life. He is risen is all the assurance we need.
Enow - please reread the entire thread, as I never said that one needs the gift of the Holy Ghost to make it to heaven; all it takes is a truly blood-bought born again experience to make it to heaven, which means living free from all willful sin; Jesus is the enabler.

However, Jesus is coming as a thief in the night at His second coming, the rapture. A thief comes at night when no one is watching to collect all the valuables; a thief only has interest in valuable gems. These valuable gems will make up Jesus' Bride; She will be without spot, wrinkle or any such thing.

This is the meaning of the 10-virgins parable. A great number of people in the Christian world neglect seeking out the oil that will be required. Some are taught wrong, while others are too "dignified" for the fullness of God -- and they will be spewed into the tribulation period. Where will their dignity be then?

Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee. - Revelation 3:3

Old 12-24-2009, 09:22 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,867,798 times
Quote:
Enow - please reread the entire thread, as I never said that one needs the gift of the Holy Ghost to make it to heaven; all it takes is a truly blood-bought born again experience to make it to heaven, which means living free from all willful sin; Jesus is the enabler.
You have been holding that initial evidence of tongues over believers head as proof of having received the Holy Spirit. And you still are.

Quote:
However, Jesus is coming as a thief in the night at His second coming, the rapture. A thief comes at night when no one is watching to collect all the valuables; a thief only has interest in valuable gems. These valuable gems will make up Jesus' Bride; She will be without spot, wrinkle or any such thing.

This is the meaning of the 10-virgins parable. A great number of people in the Christian world neglect seeking out the oil that will be required. Some are taught wrong, while others are too "dignified" for the fullness of God -- and they will be spewed into the tribulation period. Where will their dignity be then?

Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee. - Revelation 3:3
I really wish the Lord would help you see the meaning of that verse as you are preaching an extra... something more than what we all have heard and have received salvation from Jesus Christ.

Seeking that oil is not holding fast to what we had heard.

Seeking oil is like going to the market whereas the wise virgins are ready to go as they had their "vessels" filled with that oil.

Seeking the oil as in another spirit to receive is siffering a thief to break through.

Seeking oil is not watching, but being led astray from what we had heard and had received.

Seeking oil is falling away from the faith and falling asleep as well.

Seeking oil as in going after a sign is the action of an unwise virgin as an adulterous generation, ceasing to be a chaste bride.

The wise virgins are filled and are resting in Jesus Christ, holding onto what they had heard and are ready by Him to leave.

Your teachings are pointing away from that resting place we have in Christ Jesus to tell believers that they need to go to the market still.

There are no invitations to the Holy Spirit or to tongues, because after we come to and believe in Jesus, we have entered into that rest where He promised that we shall thirst nor hunger any more for we are filled.

John 6: 35And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:23 AM

988 posts, read 1,902,996 times
[quote]
Quote:
You're disputing God's Word. Had they not spoken in tongues as the evidence of receiving the Holy Ghost, then the Jews would not have been astonished -- as they would not have known that the gift of the Holy Ghost had been given to the gentiles. God's method has not changed, and the doubters will be spewed right into the tribulation period. You can bank on it.

I stand on God's Word.

Quite correct gramm - they spoke in tongues just as the apostles did. And those tongues were a human language unknown to the speaker. Right?

When you speak in tongues which human language unknown to yourself do you speak?

HK

Old 12-24-2009, 10:45 AM

To the honest-hearted, why would God provide evidence of receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost in those days that we would not need today? How would we know that we have received the Holy Ghost today? If we would know in a different manner, what scripture can you provide that points to God changing His method?

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. - Hebrews 13:8

For me, I discard all of man's theories and rely on God's Word, my road map. Man has lowered God's standards to conform to their feelings, which is of the flesh. It's a form of godliness and denying His power.

If you don't accept this truth, you will be stunned on Rapture day; you will probably be devastated. If you can't accept truth now, how will you endure 7 years of all judgement from the throne of God? Will you turn to the anti-christ then?

Revelation 6
9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

You must be accounted worthy to be part of Jesus' Bride to escape what's coming. If you reject the Holy Ghost baptism as it's taught in the Word, then you certainly aren't worthy.

Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man. - Luke 21:36

Old 12-24-2009, 04:24 PM

988 posts, read 1,902,996 times
Graham - if your last post was an answer to my question it went way over my head.... I could see no relevance whatsoever.

HK

Old 12-24-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
To the honest-hearted, why would God provide evidence of receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost in those days that we would not need today? How would we know that we have received the Holy Ghost today? If we would know in a different manner, what scripture can you provide that points to God changing His method?

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. - Hebrews 13:8

For me, I discard all of man's theories and rely on God's Word, my road map. Man has lowered God's standards to conform to their feelings, which is of the flesh. It's a form of godliness and denying His power.

If you don't accept this truth, you will be stunned on Rapture day; you will probably be devastated. If you can't accept truth now, how will you endure 7 years of all judgement from the throne of God? Will you turn to the anti-christ then?
Why is your interpretation of Scripture valid and all others be hell bound?

How come the Spirit only speaks through you and everyone else's theories are man centered?

As long as you continue with this attitude - you cease learning and becoming more Christlike.

I offered 1 Cor. 12 for what the word says about spiritual gifts. Instead of ignoring it, why don't you inform me what it says - because it looks like not all people will get the gift of tongues.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:39 AM

Jesus is speaking about believers here, as He said the kingdom of heaven is likened unto 10 virgins; these are born again Christians.

Matthew 25
1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

Last edited by scgraham; 12-25-2009 at 07:49 AM..

Old 12-26-2009, 08:35 AM

Anything on 1 Cor. 12, SCGraham?

Old 12-26-2009, 11:47 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,107 times
...Nowhere in the Scriptures does it say, "Ye shall receive the gift of tongues, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you." Nowhere! Rather, Jesus said, "...ye shall receive P-O-W-E-R, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you..."

"...And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak in new tongues;

They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover" (Mark 16:17-18).

...Jesus said to the apostles just before He ascended to the Father in Acts 1:8:

But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the utermost part of the earth.

The early Church was born in POWER!...not by silver-tongued orators with slick preaching of the Gospel such as we have seen since......No, the Early Church was not born through intellectual manipulation of people...it was born in a demonstration of POWER!
This was the day God chose to give the Church power to fulfill the Great Comission Jesus gave them before He ascended into heaven. That same power that was so evident in the Early Church is still in the world today...the Holy Spirit has not removed His Presence and power from the Church, but many Christians have hindered the flow of that power by not yeilding their hearts and lives to Him.

Our problem is that we stop at the point of blessing - we stop at the manifestation of the gift of the believer's prayer language, speaking in other tongues; we stop at what we are beginning to enjoy in a spiritual relationship with the Holy Spirit. We stop here and never enter into an area of power...and as a result, we do not have the power to cast out devils...heal the sick...and raise the dead!

God wants us to operate in the same power and anointing that was upon His Son, Jesus Christ!

Not everyone will...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity