Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:48 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
So in a way, you can see how the foolish virgins did have the Holy Spirit as 1 Corinthians 3:10-23 would declare such blemishes as wood stubble and hay that needs to be burned away.
All truly born again believers have a measure of the Holy Spirit; but, the Lord baptizes those who obey with the Holy Spirit, just like on the Day of Pentecost; the method has not changed, and it too is a miracle.

And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him. - Acts 5:32

A foolish virgin neglects seeking out the Upper Room experience to receive power from on High. Notice: Jesus told His disciples not to go about His work until they have received power from High, the promise of the Father.

Last edited by scgraham; 12-13-2009 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 12:38 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,867,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
All truly born again believers have a measure of the Holy Spirit; but, the Lord baptizes those who obey with the Holy Spirit, just like on the Day of Pentecost; the method has not changed, and it too is a miracle.

And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him. - Acts 5:32

A foolish virgin neglects seeking out the Upper Room experience to receive power from on High. Notice: Jesus told His disciples not to go about His work until they have received power from High, the promise of the Father.
John 3: 33He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true. 34For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him. 35The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.

You either have the Holy Spirit or you do not.

2 Corinthians 13: 5Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

So how does one receive the seal of adoption?

Ephesians 1: 11In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: 12That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. 15Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

Galatians 3: 14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. .....26For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

The importance of keeping the faith and the love of the truth:

Hebrews 11: 1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen..... 6But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Hebrews 4: 1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. 2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. 3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world..... 9There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Matthew 9:17Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

That is how we are saved;

There is only one drink of the One Spirit:

1 Corinthians 12: 13For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Colossians 2: 5For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. 6As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: 7Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. 8Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 10And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

This is why that there is only one baptism of the Holy Spirit:

Ephesians 4: 4There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 5One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

So that we can avoid anyone preaching another spirit to receive, even if they claim that spirit to be the Holy Spirit:

2 Corinthians 11: 1Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me. 2For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. 3But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

By seeking another spirit to receive: the believer is no longer being a chaste bride of Christ but a foolish virgin. But the Lord knoweth those that are His as His seal is set; therefore let all those that name the name of Christ depart from iniquity and thereby narrowing the way back to the straight gate to the Son, for that is why He is called the Bridegroom in having that personal reconciled relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

All supernatural experiences must be discerned by the Word of God to ascertain the Spirit of Truth Whom dwells in us as promised from that which is the spirit of error in the world for those in error will speak as the world speak and hear as the world hears: tongues without interpretation.

1 John 4:4Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 5They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. 6We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Solution for those gone astray: keep your eyes on Jesus Christ: our first love. May the Lord help you to do this and be found chaste in your relationship with the Son.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:44 PM

This was after the Day of Pentecost.

Acts 19
1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
7 And all the men were about twelve.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
This was after the Day of Pentecost.

Acts 19
1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
7 And all the men were about twelve.
Paul found out what kind of disciples they were: disciples of John the Baptist's. Paul then told them that Jesus was the One, John was preaching about. Then those disciples of John were baptized in the name of Jesus and then they received the gift of the Holy Ghost.

They were not believers of Jesus Christ for they were not baptized in the name of Jesus: they had only received the baptism of John the Baptist's. They had said so. That was why Paul inquired further when these certain disciples did not know about the Holy Spirit for they were not baptized in the name of Jesus, and thus the reason why Paul went on to tell them about Jesus Christ.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:01 PM

Jesus made a clear distinction between the Holy Spirit being with a person and being in a person. Remember, the promise of the Father, the Holy Ghost, had not yet been given when Jesus made this statement:

John 14
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

As you can see, the Holy Spirit was with the disciples at that time; but later, on the Day of Penecost, the Comforter -- the Holy Ghost -- baptized the 120 in the Upper Room; this is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Foolish virgins don't seek out the power of the Holy Ghost, the oil in the 10-virgins parable. If you don't have enough faith to seek out the Upper Room experience, then you will be left standing still on Rapture day. It's the power of the Holy Ghost working within a person that will change him/her in a twinkling of an eye.

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: - Matthew 7:7

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. - Hebrews 11:6

Old 12-13-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Jesus made a clear distinction between the Holy Spirit being with a person and being in a person. Remember, the promise of the Father, the Holy Ghost, had not yet been given when Jesus made this statement:

John 14
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
That promise includes both as in that single event when they receive the promise of the Holy Spirit when Jesus goes to the Father.

Quote:
As you can see, the Holy Spirit was with the disciples at that time; but later, on the Day of Penecost, the Comforter -- the Holy Ghost -- baptized the 120 in the Upper Room; this is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
That dwelling of the Holy Spirit was not permanent, but temporary. Remember that the promise of the permanent indwelling Holy Spirit is when He ascended to the Father in Heaven.

John 14: 23Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. 24He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. 25These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. 26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. 27Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. 28Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. 29And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.

There are two known events that the Holy Spirit was imparted to the disciples temporary while Jesus was present.

Matthew 10: 1And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease. 2Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother; 3Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus; 4Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him. 5These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: 6But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.....

.....18And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles. 19But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. 20For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

Judas was lost. Why? Jesus wasn't crucified yet. So the promise of the seal of adoption can only take place when Jesus had gone to that throne of grace to fulfill His role as the Mediator between us and God as given by Jesus during that whole discourse of John 14th chapter.

Note the commandment of His invitation that His disciples were to give when He went away:

John 14:6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. 7If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him..... 13And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

So when this had occurred:

John 20: 19Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. 20And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the LORD. 21Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. 22And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

Jesus was still with them physically. That was why He had said this so that His word is fulfilled regarding the promise of the permanent indwelling Holy Ghost:

Here is a recap of the event in John 20:19-22 with more details leading up to His actual departure, giving them a reminder of that promise:

Luke 24: 36And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. 37But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit. 38And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? 39Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have. 40And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet. 41And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat? 42And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb. 43And he took it, and did eat before them.

Jesus was still present with them in His resurrected body.

44And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. 45Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, 46And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: 47And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48And ye are witnesses of these things.

Now comes the promise Jesus was talking about in John 14th chapter:

49And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high. 50And he led them out as far as to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them. 51And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven. 52And they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy: 53And were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God. Amen.

So now that He had left to be before that throne of grace, Jesus told them to expect that promise of the permanent indwelling Holy Spirit.
Quote:
Foolish virgins don't seek out the power of the Holy Ghost, the oil in the 10-virgins parable. If you don't have enough faith to seek out the Upper Room experience, then you will be left standing still on Rapture day. It's the power of the Holy Ghost working within a person that will change him/her in a twinkling of an eye.
After receiving the promise, there can be no similar rudiment of the world in how they seek after spirits again and again to be practised in christianity. There is no way those called out of the world can be witnesses of the Son if they still practise the rudiment in the world.

Quote:
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: - Matthew 7:7
Matthew 7: 7Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 9Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? 10Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Should a believer keep asking for the Holy Spirit as if they have been given a serpent or a stone? Did they knock at the door of Jesus Christ in how they received the promise of the Spirit? Then how can we be witnesses of the Good News in Christ of we have to keep receiving the promise of the indwelling Holy Spirit if we are leaky vessels? How can we claim this verse then as part of our witness of the Good News in Christ?

Matthew 9: 17Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

Quote:
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. - Hebrews 11:6
And that is why wayward believers that seek another spirit to receive, thinking that to be the Holy Spirit, are departing from faith in giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils.

2 Corinthians 13:5Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

There is only one drink of the Holy Spirit as there is only one baptism.

1 Corinthians 12:13For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

You are a believer in Jesus Christ and thereby sealed as His after being bought with a price BUT what you are being misled into believing is not the Gospel of Jesus Christ. That is why we are not to believe every spirit but test them by the Word of God in seeing what the spirit of error is misleading us to say that would stand apart from the love of the truth.

Jesus Christ is our resting place. There is no other invitation nor door to enter in regards to the Holy Spirit for we have received Him as promised for coming to and believing in Jesus Christ; the Good News to man.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:12 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Enow - Nice work.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:05 AM

Ye with an ear, let him hear what the Spirit is saying.

Luke 11
5 And he [Jesus] said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves;
6 For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him?
7 And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee.
8 I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.
9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Old 12-15-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Ye with an ear, let him hear what the Spirit is saying.

Luke 11
5 And he [Jesus] said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves;
6 For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him?
7 And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee.
8 I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.
9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Jesus is the door to knock at ( John 10:7-9 ) and as proof that by Him we have received the Holy Spirit as promised for knocking: Ephesians 1:11-15

Quote:
11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
And yet, how is it that they are not asking the Father, but directly asking the Spirit?

How is it that even after seeking the Spirit, they do it again and again as if they had not received Him? Doesn't that make His word come to light in the eyes of everyone that God would not give a serpent nor a stone for when you have received the Holy Spirit... you WILL have received Him permanently so that you will not be asking again as if you had not received the Holy Spirit?

How do we have access to the Father to ask Him? John 14:6 John 14:13-14 1 Timothy 2:5

Is it not Jesus Who baptises with the Holy Ghost?

Matthew 3:I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

So the promise of the Spirit is by faith in Jesus Christ: that is knocking at the door.

Galatians 3:14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:24 PM

988 posts, read 1,902,710 times
[quote]Galatians 3:14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith [/QUOTE

Can someone receive the Holy Spirit if they have not repented of sin?

HK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity