Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 02:08 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

While Christmas shoppers comb their local malls and stores in search of the right gift for their loved ones, a Methodist megachurch pastor is reminding his congregation and those within hearing distance that it’s clear what’s on the wish list of the one who has given the world the reason for the season.

UMC Megachurch Pastor Makes Case for His Christmas Gift to Jesus | Christianpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 11:56 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,569,673 times
Quote:
Despite the amount of good that the church has been doing in Sudan, Slaughter’s emphasis on the African nation has taken a toll on the congregation, some of which believe that the church should reach out more to the poor in their own community and that Christmas should be a season of happiness, with the focus being on the birth of the baby Jesus and good times with family and friends.
Quote:
“We (Ginghamsburg) … must continue to expand this work without fail,” he says

Quote:
Slaughter makes it very clear what he will be giving Jesus this year and continues to encourage his congregation and others to “regift” for Jesus as well. "Become producers of God’s blessings within the Christmas season, and not simply consumers of “stuff,” he urges.
Wow! this pastor has no clue he is in danger of becoming a legalist. His intentions are admirable and honorable but he is not allowing the Holy Spirit to work in his congregation on this particular non essential matter.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-21-2009 at 12:27 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

Wow! this pastor has no clue he is in danger of becoming a legalist. His intentions are admirable and honorable but he is not allowing the Holy Spirit to work in his congregation on this particular non essential matter.
Non-essential matter? Helping those who are starving and dying is non-essential? Something tells me that Jesus would disagree with you.

Caring for our brothers and sisters is far more essential than a new toy under the tree.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Non-essential matter? Helping those who are starving and dying is non-essential? Something tells me that Jesus would disagree with you.
As hard that may sound, yes that is a non essential for one's salvation. Would Jesus disagree with me? I don't see it in scripture so I doubt Jesus would disagree but like scripture says this is works evidenced in that one is saved but each Christian grows at his or her own pace so it should be left to the Holy Spirit that dwells in the individual

Quote:
Caring for our brothers and sisters is far more essential than a new toy under the tree
I agree but we shouldn't place guilt trips on other Christians who are still growing to push a system or else it really wouldn't be pleasing to God no matter the outcome.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:21 AM

8,179 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:
As hard that may sound, yes that is a non essential for one's salvation. Would Jesus disagree with me? I don't see it in scripture so I doubt Jesus would disagree but like scripture says this is works evidenced in that one is saved but each Christian grows at his or her own pace so it should be left to the Holy Spirit that dwells in the individual

I agree but we shouldn't place guilt trips on other Christians who are still growing to push a system or else it really wouldn't be pleasing to God no matter the outcome.

Why are you talking about "one's salvation"???

"Love your neighbor as yourself..."

Jesus commanded.

If you were starving, you would love yourself enough to feed yourself.
If someone else is starving and they cannot feed theirself, you would, out of love... feed them.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Why are you talking about "one's salvation"???
Because when talking about essentials vs non-essentials could only mean salvation

Quote:
"Love your neighbor as yourself..."

Jesus commanded.

If you were starving, you would love yourself enough to feed yourself.
If someone else is starving and they cannot feed theirself, you would, out of love... feed them.
Now we want to follow the law? Yes Jesus commanded us to love our neighbor which is really the last 6 commandements in the 10 commandements.

Thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not bare false witness against thy neighbor, thou shalt not covet and so forth.

Love is not just feeding, love is sharing the gospel, love is punishing people for their own good so that they can be in a position to repent of their ways.

Have you ALWAYS put others ahead of you? Have you always obeyed the commandments?

Would you tell Christians they can't go to movies, stop smoking, stop living together, stop dressing that way? of course not so why brow beat other Christians into giving? As a pastor you preach the word, give the words of Jesus and let the Holy Spirit work in each individual who is ready to give CHEERFULLY!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Jesus said "My yoke is easy... and my burden is light"

Fundamentalist... I think we aren't talking about the same thing.
Your response to me, seemed like it was just out in left field somewhere.
I don't get what you are saying.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:

I agree wholeheartedly and I am so thankful. I just hope this pastor remembers that and listens to his congregation's gripe, he shouldn't be so readily to dismiss it there might be something to it.

Quote:
Despite the amount of good that the church has been doing in Sudan, Slaughter’s emphasis on the African nation has taken a toll on the congregation, some of which believe that the church should reach out more to the poor in their own community and that Christmas should be a season of happiness, with the focus being on the birth of the baby Jesus and good times with family and friends.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Maybe you should read again. I have no problem with what the pastor is doing, it is Christian and admirable but I may have a problem in HOW he is doing it. He is dangerously walking on the border of legalism. He could be a stumbling block for others in his congregation.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Maybe you should read again. I have no problem with what the pastor is doing, it is Christian and admirable but I may have a problem in HOW he is doing it. He is dangerously walking on the border of legalism. He could be a stumbling block for others in his congregation.

Ok, I gotta run but will come back tonight and re-read everything and see if I can understand what you're saying.

Peace...
Talk to ya later.
sparrow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity