Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:36 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
So who made Solomon the standard of a loving relationship??

What truly matters is the love that people share. What is on the inside.
Watch a loving couple deal with one of them becoming severely ill.

Perspective on beauty will radically change.

Without getting too personal, I watched this happend with a loving couple that I know. The wife became ill, lost her breast, lost all of her hair, etc. What was beautiful was her courage, her will to love, and her concern for her family. All of the physical beauty in the world could not hold a candle to this woman's inner beauty. And the husband's love for her through all of this was far more poetic and far more beautiful than ANYTHING you would find reading song of solomon.

I understand what you are saying... YES, we should take care of ourselves! Out of love for our spouses, we should make healthy choices in our lifestyle. We should have respect for our bodies, etc.

But this world focuses so much on OUTER frivolous beauty that FADES and FAR FAR FAR less on the TRUE beauty that God imparted to our souls. There are enough people focusing on the outer. What we need are more folks focusing on the inner.

Just my two cents.
If you don't agree or if you feel I've made too much of this, etc. (which is an understandable reaction.) That's cool. Take what you want and leave the rest. But this is just what your post stirred up inside. Had to share.

Peace.
Did you read my final paragragh in the first post? I mentioned that I did not believe the outward appearance was more important. But what I am saying and seeing is that a lot of people just disregard the physical altogether with the thinking that it DOESN'T matter.

Of course things happen, people get sick, get diseases and then the depth of ones' love either surfaces or it doesn't. I am not talking about that. I am talking about extremes here. And I think it is extreme to NOT take care of yourself when you are a Christian whether it be in direct result to gluttony (which is a sin) or just a decision to not take care of yourself because you don't feel like it. It is saying to your spouse that he/she doesn't matter.

Like I said it always seems like the man/woman who gets a divorce immediately joins the gym for their new relationship. I have seen it time and time again. Someone on this forum just admitted to it the other day.. and one of the other posters called him on it. That is just downright sad..very sad.

...and nobody has made Solomon the standard for relationships but if God didn't want it in the Bible He wouldn't have allowed it to be included. Just a thought. Solomon was said to be the wisest man ever and God blessed him with his wisdom and understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 11:43 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Raelyn...

Did you not read that I wrote:

"This is just what your post stirred up inside of me. Had to share"

peace.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes weight lifting and golds gym are good.
but people let themselves go bek they can, no consequences, you have embedded this truth already in your post, no motiviation to change, people change not out of love but out of fear. whoever is on the bottom of the food change asks how high when you say jump. true for 104 AD true for 2009 AD. but in our case its the guy that is on the bottom of the food chain, he is in no position to demand anything of the wife.
no i know nothing of little house on the prairie, i was not living in this country when that was popular.
I am not sure I am understanding your post here and we may be having a language barrier, so sorry that I am not getting what you are saying.

I am not plugging for Gold's Gym. People can workout now-a-days with a thrift store video. There are many options. And what about good old walking? It doesn't cost a dime.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:52 PM

I am not talking about the situation that you are referring to. In fact my sister is currently dying of terminal cancer and her physical beauty is fading quickly. Her boyfriend is NOT A CHRISTIAN but has chosen to love her through this. So I am aware of what you are talking about and maybe that subject belongs on another thread.

I am talking about normal people without diseases that don't seem to care about their physical appearances and do nothing to please their spouses in the physical realm..

Quote:
Raelyn...

Did you not read that I wrote:

"This is just what your post stirred up inside of me. Had to share"

peace.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
I am not sure I am understanding your post here and we may be having a language barrier, so sorry that I am not getting what you are saying.

I am not plugging for Gold's Gym. People can workout now-a-days with a thrift store video. There are many options. And what about good old walking? It doesn't cost a dime.
ill try again. the wife does not want to walk or work out she likes to sit on the couch and eat. if i push her at all about it she will divorce me.
if she gets fat so what, she doesnt care about how i feel. no consequences for being fat. neither did esther care how others felt, she looked good bek she had to-- to accomplish her mission, pretty gruesume mission btw.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:00 AM

245 posts, read 956,228 times
The first thing I thought of when I read this thread was that first and foremost, shouldn't we take care of ourselves for "us". And in doing that we then will be pleasing our spouse? I have always taken pride in how I look, especially if I'm going out in public. Even times when I've been slightly overweight & uncomfortable in my life, I've showered, put make-up on, done something with my hair & dressed decently. Sure there's those lazy, slug days that I'll hang out in sweats & no make-up, hair in a pony-tail & my husband still loves me. As I love him unshaven, sweaty, slugging it himself occasionally. But, ultimately I take pride in what I look like when I walk out that door. Does that mean I'm prideful? No, I don't think that. I don't flash fancy clothes, or jewelry or act stuck up or better than anyone else. I do it because it makes me feel good about me. I guess it's just how I was brought up.

I have seen & known many couples where one or both let themselves go & don't seem to care anymore & I've wondered why. Here's an example, first hand: My daughter-in-law (she's in her early 20's) was visiting us this past summer & her & I had to run out to Walmart for a few things the last minute. I told her I wanted to change my clothes & freshen up. Her comment to me was "we don't have to impress anyone, we already have husbands, so who cares how we look?" And I thought to myself "I care how I look actually". Maybe her comment explains why those people that "have someone" let themselves go?

Last edited by butterfly57; 12-22-2009 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-22-2009, 12:02 AM

Raelyn... Can I gently just say did it occur to you that perhaps my post is there for a reason? Perhaps the post isn't meant solely for your eyes? Perhaps it is meant for someone else who may need to hear those words right now...

Peace.
Just skip my post. It's not a big deal.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Raelyn... Can I gently just say did it occur to you that perhaps my post is there for a reason? Perhaps the post isn't meant solely for your eyes? Perhaps it is meant for someone else who may need to hear those words right now...

Peace.
Just skip my post. It's not a big deal.
No I appreciate your post but I guess I thought that you were thinking that I didn't have my priorities correct. Just a misunderstanding to what you were trying to say. Everyone's post is important, that is why I started the thread.

And you are correct, other people are reading the post in all different situations.

Thanks for sharing, sorry if I responded rudely.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
No I appreciate your post but I guess I thought that you were thinking that I didn't have my priorities correct. Just a misunderstanding to what you were trying to say. Everyone's post is important, that is why I started the thread.

And you are correct, other people are reading the post in all different situations.

Thanks for sharing, sorry if I responded rudely.

No, it's totally ok. No problem at all.
I'm sorry you thought I was thinking you didn't have your priorities correct. Glad we're all straigthened out.
peace to ya.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:18 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
I understand but what about men then? They cannot wear make-up. Do you like the idea of a beer belly coach potato and is that attractive to a female?
Well I don't like a beer belly - thank God I don't have one. As far as the second question I aint no girl either so I would not know - but some girls think it is cute - from what I hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity