Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2009, 10:04 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

CBN.com – Last night, I dreamed that God resurrected my beautiful adopted aunt, Mary Jo Hoffman. But morning renewed my mourning for her: Christmas trees, snow globes, and music greeted my grieving heart. Relate?

Coping with Grief at Christmas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 07:56 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,045,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
CBN.com – Last night, I dreamed that God resurrected my beautiful adopted aunt, Mary Jo Hoffman. But morning renewed my mourning for her: Christmas trees, snow globes, and music greeted my grieving heart. Relate?

Coping with Grief at Christmas
I lost my dad the day after Christmas when I was 19. Was very hard on me for several years and now I don't work that day and celebrate the love he gave me while he was alive, though yes I still do shed some tears. I know one day we will meet again and that he's looking down on me. I do tend to hibernate during the Christmas holiday and don't go to any of the restaurants that have Christmas events and are all full of 'happy shiny people', ya know? Normally I just spend it alone (with my cat of course) and that's how I prefer it. Do have sweet Panamanian neighbors who always bring me Christmas dinner, so I'm pretty set doing my own thing.

Each day I try to do things that I know my daddy would approve of. I also focus on the true meaning of Christmas, which isn't all about presents and decorations, but the birth of Jesus. One thing I like about living here is that Christmas isn't as commercialized - it's about what it should be about. They even have a man who carries the cross and the entire town follows behind him over Easter (Semana Santa).

So that's how I cope with my grief during the Christmas holidays - cry when I need to cry, but I always remember and give thanks for the love he gave me while he was in my life.

Last edited by JustJoy; 12-25-2009 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-26-2009, 01:40 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,363 times
The holidays,no matter which one, can be the most joyous time or the saddest time. My heart goes out to those who have lost ones that they loved dearly. But that`s the thing about love,family,and friends. We love so much,but death comes to ALL. The more we love ,the greater the loss,eventhough we know it is inevitable.
I had a friend that passed away right before Christmas. She was bringing presents in from her truck. When she took a while to return to the house,her 11yr old son went to find out what was taking her so long. He found her laying in the driveway. They called 911 and it took them a long time to get there because it was snowing and there was already a foot of snow on the ground. They took her to the closest hospital but a neurosurgeon wasn`t there. So they flew her to Johns Hopkins, and there she died. She had a brain anuerysm. She probably would have survived if not for the several circumstances that delayed her from having surgery. Now her young children lost their mom just a couple of days before Christmas and while she was bringing presents in no less. They will never look at Christmas or the the joy of a first snow the same way ever again.
This life is filled with pain and suffering. I think of my own children and wonder what if that were me or their mother. Life for a child that experiences such trauma can never be the same. Imagine losing your loving caring sweet mother on christmas while bringing in presents. May God give all who are mourning this year the strength,hope,and peace that only he can give.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:14 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,902 times
2004 for a hard Christmas for me because my mom died suddenly on the 3rd of December and her memorial service was a couple of weeks prior to Christmas. This year my dear sister wasn't even expected to make it to Christmas because she has stage 4 lung cancer and isn't expected to live much longer.

Everytime the phone rings and I see her name on caller ID I get a really sick feeling in my stomach. My family went to visit her for Thanksgiving and she looked so different than the last time I saw her. She is only 49 and she is my best friend. My entire Christmas has been very sad since this cancer situation came very suddenly at the beginning of the year. Other difficult things are happening as well, finances, a recent move that was difficult, unhappy kids.

I can totally relate to grief this year and will always remember "09"
as being one of the hardest years of my life.

I pray for all you who have struggled with similar stories and issues that are difficult to deal with. I pray that God would be your Rock and Jesus would be a very present help in time of trouble..

God bless you all...

Raelyn

Old 12-27-2009, 10:37 AM

436 posts, read 1,174,197 times
My christmas was good. But i cried for my mum. I miss her so much at times. All the loss can be so depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity