Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:46 AM

125 posts, read 301,902 times

Advertisements

E'-li,E'li,la'ma sa-bach'-tha-ni?

#1) Why did Jesus ask that question on the cross? Some have said that Jesus purposely set in to motion the events that would lead to his death so that he could fulfill prophecy. This seems to debunk that theory to me totally.

#2) I asked a Pastor who had attended some seminary school if he would explain to me who Jesus was talking to on the cross, basically he explained Jesus was talking to himself.
"When I'am talking to you I'am Pastor, when I'am talking to my wife I'am Honey, when I'am talking to my children I'am daddy, but I'am Pastor to all three of you." He explained
My question is why is it neccessary to believe that God the father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit all reside in one body? Does this help to decide whom one should be fellowshiping with?

Matt 27:49
The rest said, Let be, let us see whether E-li-as will come to save him.
KJV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 07:01 AM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinkerInTex View Post

#1) Why did Jesus ask that question on the cross? Some have said that Jesus purposely set in to motion the events that would lead to his death so that he could fulfill prophecy. This seems to debunk that theory to me totally.

#2) I asked a Pastor who had attended some seminary school if he would explain to me who Jesus was talking to on the cross, basically he explained Jesus was talking to himself.
"When I'am talking to you I'am Pastor, when I'am talking to my wife I'am Honey, when I'am talking to my children I'am daddy, but I'am Pastor to all three of you." He explained
My question is why is it neccessary to believe that God the father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit all reside in one body? Does this help to decide whom one should be fellowshiping with?

KJV
Quoting that Psalm, I thought. Forget the number -- maybe 122?

Old 12-28-2009, 07:12 AM

150 posts, read 301,160 times
It is Psalm 22 and it describes the crucifixion of Jesus in the FIRST PERSON account approx. 1000 years before it actually happened.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:23 AM

23,019 posts, read 34,390,903 times
It was because of the anguish He felt when He took on the sins of the world, which caused Him to be separated from God. This was what Jesus dreaded as He prayed to God in the garden to take the cup from Him. The physical agony was horrible, but even worse was the period of separation from God.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:06 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
God did not send Himself into the world. The Bible is quite clear that "God sent His Son into the world" John 3:17.

While Jesus was on the earth He taught His disciples to pray to the Father Who was in heaven at the time Jesus was on the earth.

After Jesus came out of the grave He told His disciples that He was ascending to His Father and their Father and was ascending to His God and their God.

Therefore, when Jesus said "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?" Jesus was not saying that to Himself but to His God Who was in heaven to Whom He ascended to.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:10 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,531,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
God did not send Himself into the world. The Bible is quite clear that "God sent His Son into the world" John 3:17.

While Jesus was on the earth He taught His disciples to pray to the Father Who was in heaven at the time Jesus was on the earth.

After Jesus came out of the grave He told His disciples that He was ascending to His Father and their Father and was ascending to His God and their God.

Therefore, when Jesus said "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?" Jesus was not saying that to Himself but to His God Who was in heaven to Whom He ascended to.
Exactly.

Even humans think humans are weird when they talk to themselves.. LOL

Jesus was clearly speaking to his God. I find it interesting that some say Jesus is to be prayed to when Jesus himself showed that we are to pray to God. This is called monotheism.. one God.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:15 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:

KJV
I think it just goes to show that Jesus was actually more human and less god-like that most contemporary religions portray him.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 AM

454 posts, read 1,407,828 times
Quote:
Why did Jesus cry out, "My God, my God,why hast thou forsaken me?" Matt 27:46
Because he was being killed, nailed to a cross, tortured and in that moment of pain, he thought that the imaginary God that he had being worshipping was doing this to him or letting it happen.
Needless to say, it wasn't a "GOD" that was allowing that; he wasn't talking to "himself" either ( i sure hope not...cause then that would elevate his delusions to a whole new level); it was people who were afraid of the crazy talk he had introduced to the people, and the fact that they were afraid of the rise in his/their power.

in a nut shell.

cheers.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:08 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,569,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

You still didn't answer the question, why did He?

Old 12-28-2009, 12:09 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,569,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
It was because of the anguish He felt when He took on the sins of the world, which caused Him to be separated from God. This was what Jesus dreaded as He prayed to God in the garden to take the cup from Him. The physical agony was horrible, but even worse was the period of separation from God.
the only people who will feel what Jesus felt at that moment on the cross will be unbelievers and their own will be eternal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity