Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:34 PM

988 posts, read 1,902,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Paul listed many sins to the Gentiles, but not one word about keeping the Sabbath. It seems odd that he would address all those other sins, yet nothing about keeping the Sabbath. Why would God feel compelled to lay out all those sins for us, but neglect the one about keeping the Sabbath?

Just food for thought.

Paul listed many sins to the Gentiles but not one word about bestiality - so what? That is why we have 66 books.

HK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 07:18 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,942,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
Paul listed many sins to the Gentiles but not one word about bestiality - so what? That is why we have 66 books.

HK
That would fall under fornication and/or uncleanness, which are part of the 17 works of the flesh.

Once again, Paul never mentioned not keeping the Sabbath as a sin; and, Paul was filled with the Holy Ghost, a holy vessel used by Jesus to take the Gospel to the Gentiles.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,176,247 times
One thing I don't want to do is quench anyone's zeal for living a life pleasing to Him - but the mode of accomplishing this is found in the person of Christ. It is essential that we depend on Him for our strength and ability, and that our focus is not works but simply abiding in the Vine – His life is more than sufficient to accomplish what God desires from this vessel.

It is essential that every believer examine the Scriptures diligently to see what God teaches concerning the Christian life and how it is to be lived. Many false views are being held today, such as the view which says that the believer is under the law as a rule of life and as a means of sanctification. But the key to the Christian life is not found at Mount Sinai, it is found at Mount Calvary. The Christian life is based, not on a work which we must do, but on a work that has already been accomplished by Christ. May God open the eyes of our understanding to see how Christ’s finished work on the cross relates to our daily walk with Christ.

The Lord Jesus Christ is our LIFE. The appropriation of His life in us by means of our cross makes this real in our lives. "Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God" (Romans 7:4). By God’s grace we have been united to Christ in a wonderful union. May the Lord open our eyes to see these things.

The Christian Life is nothing less than the life of Christ.

"I am the Vine, ye are the branches" (John 15:5)
"Christ liveth in me" (Gal. 2:20)
"For to me to live is Christ" (Phil. 1:21)
"Christ in you, the hope of glory...when Christ who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with Him in glory" (Col. 1:27; 3:3-4).
"That the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body...that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh" (2 Cor. 4:10-11)
"My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you" (Gal. 4:19)

The Outworking of the life of Christ is accomplished by the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit.

"For He dwelleth with you and shall be in you" (John 14:17)
"He shall testify of Me...He shall glorify Me" (John 15:26; 16:14)
"But ye shall receive power after that the Holy Spirit is come upon you" (Acts 1:8)
"And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all" (Acts 4:33)
"For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death" (Romans 8:2)
"That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit" (Romans 8:4)
"This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh" (Galatians 5:16)
"That ye might know...what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power" (Eph. 1:18-19)
"Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us" (Eph. 3:20)

The dynamic of the Christian life is God’s work in me.

"That no flesh should glory in His presence" (1 Cor. 1:29)
"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them" (Eph. 2:10)
"For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature" (Gal. 6:15).
"For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure" (Philippians 2:13).
"Without Me ye can do nothing" (John 15:5)
"Whereunto I also labor, striving according to His working, which worketh in me mightily" (Col. 1:29)
"Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen" (Heb. 13:21)

The role of the Cross in our lives is vital to experiencing His life, and living by grace.

"Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?" (Gal. 3:2-3)
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal" (John 12:24-25)
"But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world" (Gal. 6:14)
"I have been crucified with Christ" (Gal. 2:20)
"Knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him" (Rom. 6:6)
"For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified" (1 Cor. 2:2)
"That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death" (Phil. 3:10)
"Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. For we which live are always delivered unto death for Jesus’ sake" (2 Cor. 4:10-11).
"For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then all died: And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again" (2 Cor. 5:14-15)
"For ye died and your life is hidden with Christ in God" (Col. 3:3)
"Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind" (1 Pet. 4:1)

The Christian is not under the Law as a rule of life, and the Christian is not under the Law as a means of sanctification.

"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace" (Rom. 6:14 and see verse 15)
"This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?" (Gal. 3:2-3)
"But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law" (Gal. 5:18)
"The just shall live by faith and the law is not of faith: but the man that doeth them shall live in them" (Gal. 3:11-12)

The law cannot give life. The law cannot make a person holy. It cannot sanctify. There is no problem with the law (Rom. 7;12) except that sinful, depraved people cannot keep it (Rom. 7:14). Those who put themselves under law will certainly experience bondage because sin will have dominion over them (compare Rom. 6:14). Jesus Christ is our rule of life: "For to me to live is Christ" (Phil. 1:21). Our fleshly struggles and striving to keep God’s holy law can only end in failure. "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death" (Rom. 8:2). The law can never be fulfilled by us, but it can be fulfilled IN US by the power and working of God appropriated by faith: "That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit" (Rom. 8:4). Salvation is "by grace through faith" and so is sanctification.

Again, I commend Verna’s zeal and passion for living for Him, and I would only want all of us to be consumed by that desire to love and please Him. But we are vessels to be filled.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:58 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
One thing I don't want to do is quench anyone's zeal for living a life pleasing to Him - but the mode of accomplishing this is found in the person of Christ. It is essential that we depend on Him for our strength and ability, and that our focus is not works but simply abiding in the Vine – His life is more than sufficient to accomplish what God desires from this vessel.

It is essential that every believer examine the Scriptures diligently to see what God teaches concerning the Christian life and how it is to be lived...

...The Christian Life is nothing less than the life of Christ...

...The Outworking of the life of Christ is accomplished by the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit...

...The dynamic of the Christian life is God’s work in me...

...The role of the Cross in our lives is vital to experiencing His life, and living by grace...

...The Christian is not under the Law as a rule of life, and the Christian is not under the Law as a means of sanctification...

...Again, I commend Verna’s zeal and passion for living for Him, and I would only want all of us to be consumed by that desire to love and please Him. But we are vessels to be filled.
...what a precious thing to say little elmer......and yes, we are vessels, given the ability to choose to accept being poured into, the power that comes from the indwelling Spirit of Christ.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
That would fall under fornication and/or uncleanness, which are part of the 17 works of the flesh.

Once again, Paul never mentioned not keeping the Sabbath as a sin; and, Paul was filled with the Holy Ghost, a holy vessel used by Jesus to take the Gospel to the Gentiles.

UT OH Do you realize that you just destroyed your own argument? You just said something (beastiality) did not have to be specifically repeated in the New Testament to be in effect.

So lets look at what Paul DID say about sin.

Rom 7:7 Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Paul knew sin by the LAW. And guess what - breaking the Sabbath would fall under the LAW.

Now look at what Paul said about people (like yourself) who do not subject themselves to the LAW of God...

Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

So now what are you going to do - your own logic proves you are wrong.

HK

"Hoist by his own petard" WS

Old 12-30-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...what a precious thing to say little elmer......and yes, we are vessels, given the ability to choose to accept being poured into, the power that comes from the indwelling Spirit of Christ.
The emptying of the old nature is of such importance, but it doesn't get the pulpit time it deserves. To think that we are nothing of ourselves sounds like a no-brainer for Christians, but do we really know the depth of it? Do we really know that salvation belongs to our God, or do we depend on works for the comfort they give?

His abiding life is holy - if we die to the old life, that New Man will live His life through us – that is the Christian life in a nut shell. His righteousness, His works, His temperament, His heart, His mind – that is what the Father wants in us. But it requires our old life, and that simply doesn't preach from the pulpit.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:57 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,942,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
UT OH Do you realize that you just destroyed your own argument? You just said something (beastiality) did not have to be specifically repeated in the New Testament to be in effect.

So lets look at what Paul DID say about sin.

Rom 7:7 Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Paul knew sin by the LAW. And guess what - breaking the Sabbath would fall under the LAW.

Now look at what Paul said about people (like yourself) who do not subject themselves to the LAW of God...

Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

So now what are you going to do - your own logic proves you are wrong.

HK

"Hoist by his own petard" WS
The law was more than the 10 commandments, too. So, according to your logic, Paul was saying all the law must be kept. What's more, keeping the Sabbath is a work of the law.

Galatians 3
1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

Jesus' disciples walk by faith! And, since we walk in the Spirit by faith, we don't fulfill the lusts of the flesh; this is living holy; and, this is the fundamental difference between Jesus' disciples and those who hold onto the law.

I'm sure you'll want to continue further on this; but, it would serve no purpose, because debates are certainly sin; Paul told us so.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Jesus' disciples walk by faith! And, since we walk in the Spirit by faith, we don't fulfill the lusts of the flesh; this is living holy; and, this is the fundamental difference between Jesus' disciples and those who hold onto the law.

He alone is holy, and we must depend (draw from) His life within - just as the branch gets its life from the Vine.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:11 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,283,016 times
Sorry to be the one who informs you Harold and to pour water on your fire again

8Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. 9The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet,"[a] and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself."[b] 10Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
Romans 13 : 8-10

I especially like the bolded part of in verse 9

Old 12-30-2009, 06:13 PM

[quote]
Quote:

11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Rom 2:13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

When you can comprehend that those two verses are not contradicting each other and understand what they mean - you will have become wise unto salvation.

HK

Hint - you are saying the unjust shall live by faith....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity