Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:49 AM

702 posts, read 961,505 times

Advertisements

I originally posted this over in the thread about gay rights, but then I decided to start a new thread on it here since it is basically a different topic.

Many claim that evangelical Christians misinterpret the Bible to support their stance against homosexuality. In light of that, I'd like to bring up a passage of scripture to consider: Romans 1:18-32 (ESV, emphasis added). I've read this passage many times, and I cannot see how it could be interpreted in any other way than as a condemnation of homosexuality as well as other sins:

Quote:
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.
24Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.
26For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. 28And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. 29They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, 30slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Though they know God’s decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.
The text clearly indicates that:
  • homosexuality is the result of a divine judgment brought about by idolatry (verses 23 and 25)
  • the acts are described as "dishonoring of their bodies among themselves" (v. 24)
  • God gave them over to "impurity" (v. 24)
  • the passions are called "dishonorable" (v. 26)
  • the relations are called "contrary to nature" (v. 26)
  • the acts are called "shameless" (v. 27)
Therefore, the import of this text is that homosexuality is wrong. No excuse is made for it, and it is described as both wrong and opposed to God, as are the other sins listed in verses 29-31.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:04 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
I think the OP is saying that it's a judgment passed by God, and not something optional by those who "practice" it...

...but I could be wrong.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:15 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
Does the Bible say homosexuality is a sin?
No. Not in the original languages and cultural contexts.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
No. Not in the original languages and cultural contexts.
So how does the Koine Greek of Romans 1 as well as its cultural context not say that homosexuality is a sin?

Old 12-29-2009, 11:31 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
I originally posted this over in the thread about gay rights, but then I decided to start a new thread on it here since it is basically a different topic.

Many claim that evangelical Christians misinterpret the Bible to support their stance against homosexuality. In light of that, I'd like to bring up a passage of scripture to consider: Romans 1:18-32 (ESV, emphasis added). I've read this passage many times, and I cannot see how it could be interpreted in any other way than as a condemnation of homosexuality as well as other sins:

The text clearly indicates that:
  • homosexuality is the result of a divine judgment brought about by idolatry (verses 23 and 25)
  • the acts are described as "dishonoring of their bodies among themselves" (v. 24)
  • God gave them over to "impurity" (v. 24)
  • the passions are called "dishonorable" (v. 26)
  • the relations are called "contrary to nature" (v. 26)
  • the acts are called "shameless" (v. 27)
Therefore, the import of this text is that homosexuality is wrong. No excuse is made for it, and it is described as both wrong and opposed to God, as are the other sins listed in verses 29-31.
Homosexually is certainly declared by the word of God to be a sin. Homosexuals deliberately reject and twist and redefine what the scriptures say in order to remain in their sin.

Satan promotes and encourages homosexuality because it is an attack on the divine institution of marriage which is to be between one man and one woman, and which was established by God in Genesis 2:22-24.

Romans 1:26-28 cannot be more clear on the matter.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:34 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:

Many claim that evangelical Christians misinterpret the Bible to support their stance against homosexuality. In light of that, I'd like to bring up a passage of scripture to consider: Romans 1:18-32 (ESV, emphasis added). I've read this passage many times, and I cannot see how it could be interpreted in any other way than as a condemnation of homosexuality as well as other sins:.

Isn't that always the case......

Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times
Here is another OP that needs to use the search option,there are too too many threads on this already,but yes indeedy homosexuality is a sin as is having a heterosexual affair is,sin is sin.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:55 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Homosexuals deliberately reject and twist and redefine what the scriptures say in order to remain in their sin.
weird.. I've always thought of it this way..

Many Christians deliberately reject and twist and redefine what the scriptures say in order to label others as sinful thus taking attention away from their own sinful ways.

Tomaytos
Tomahtos

I suppose..

Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
weird.. I've always thought of it this way..

Many Christians deliberately reject and twist and redefine what the scriptures say in order to label others as sinful thus taking attention away from their own sinful ways.

Tomaytos
Tomahtos

I suppose..
No, not really. The text quoted is all too clear. If you don't think so, I invite you to share your analysis of the text that will show us that it is not speaking against homosexuality.

Besides, the question is not whether people have twisted texts. We all know that happens, but that is not the issue. The real question is: What does the text itself say?

Old 12-29-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Here is another OP that needs to use the search option,there are too too many threads on this already,but yes indeedy homosexuality is a sin as is having a heterosexual affair is,sin is sin.
I don't feel that I need to use the search option, for one thing. This is a discussion board, so posting topics is allowed. Is there some prohibition against bringing up a topic that has been discussed before? I hope not, since it's always possible for new insights to be shared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.