Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:36 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
There is nothing wrong with making money ,I am sure you have made money or are now receiving via pensions ,social security,it is the love of money that is evil not money itself.

We Christians put our full trust in the Lord and He will provide,money is one of the many mediums that we help others.
But money is not the only medium....giving can come in many forms such as our time, talents, compassion, etc. Those who focus on giving money just to get rewarded or blessed, IMO are giving with unpure motives.

Telling a single mother, who is broke and can barely pay her bills, to tithe 10% so God can reward her is nothing but pure POOPIE!!!

I've given to the poor & needy when I am able and I've not given when I am unable....I don't expect anything from it....and God always sees me through. I trust God....but He also gave me a brain to use. He doesn't expect something from me that I cannot give. We are supposed to be responsible stewards with what God provides us with....if not paying your bills to give a 10% tithe is being responsible...then I will remain irresponsible. I am confident that God does not want us giving just to receive some reward or blessing. I am also confident that if a person can barely feed their family and/or is just getting by that God would not want them giving what they can't afford to give to the detriment of their family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 09:48 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
But money is not the only medium....giving can come in many forms such as our time, talents, compassion, etc. Those who focus on giving money just to get rewarded or blessed, IMO are giving with unpure motives.

Telling a single mother, who is broke and can barely pay her bills, to tithe 10% so God can reward her is nothing but pure POOPIE!!!

I've given to the poor & needy when I am able and I've not given when I am unable....I don't expect anything from it....and God always sees me through. I trust God....but He also gave me a brain to use. He doesn't expect something from me that I cannot give. We are supposed to be responsible stewards with what God provides us with....if not paying your bills to give a 10% tithe is being responsible...then I will remain irresponsible. I am confident that God does not want us giving just to receive some reward or blessing. I am also confident that if a person can barely feed their family and/or is just getting by that God would not want them giving what they can't afford to give to the detriment of their family.
I said that in my second sentence that money is not the only medium.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:54 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
Quote:

This is the problem with so many people's thinking. You don't understand the power of God. You don't understand how HUGE he is.

I've got nothing but sympathy for a single mother struggling to make ends meet. But there are many that find their way out of that situation not by hoarding the little bit they do have, but by TRUSTING that God will always meet your needs and tithing off the little they have.

This is a TRUST issue with God. You either trust that He will make sure all your needs are provided for, or you don't.

You cannot say "well I believe in you God, but I think you're wrong on this money thing".

It's not about money. It's about obedience. God WILL provide for you, but you need to do your part. God will never say "thanks for the tithe, now I'm going to make sure you starve to death". Never.

You need to understand that God is larger than anything you comprehend, and where thinks look bleak to us, there's nothing He cannot do. If you are poor, but tithe anyway, that obedience means more to God than a rich man tithing millions. And you will be rewarded.

You trust God, or you don't. Period.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 AM

823 posts, read 1,400,612 times
I have often thought as of late that Churches are getting way too fancy and materialistic. There is no need for big palace type churches. A more modest church, or perhaps the use of a local school gymnasium would put the tithe where it really needs to belong....

Old 01-07-2010, 10:49 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with making money ,I am sure you have made money or are now receiving via pensions ,social security,it is the love of money that is evil not money itself.We Christians put our full trust in the Lord and He will provide, money is one of the many mediums that we help others.
I agree.The Old Testament law of Moses regarding tithing, has absolutely, totally, nothing whatsoever to do with "money." It is foolish and ignorant to speak of tithing and money in the same sentence. Money was NEVER EVER a tithable commodity. So when you speak of tithing money to the Church, your are totally out of the realm of Scripture teaching.Jesus did not tell the Scribes and Pharisees in Matt. 23:23 that they SHOULD TITHE MONEY. Did He? No, He did not. He said that they tithed of small commodity agricultural products (herbs and the like), these did fall under the category of tithable commodities under Moses, and as they were YET under Moses and were still to follow what Moses said (Matt. 23:2-3). But nowhere were they told to tithe money.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:51 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
I said that in my second sentence that money is not the only medium.
There are many ways to give to another person.

However the OP was tithing.

So in an effort to get us back on-topic, lets discuss tithing shall we?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:08 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
I have often thought as of late that Churches are getting way too fancy and materialistic. There is no need for big palace type churches. A more modest church, or perhaps the use of a local school gymnasium would put the tithe where it really needs to belong....
Amen and pass the Cheetos Sister!!!!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:14 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Obviously, you believe in a different god than me.

God said:

Malachi 3:10

Bring your full tithe to the Temple treasury so there will be ample provisions in my Temple. Test me in this and see if I don't open up heaven itself to you and pour out blessings beyond your wildest dreams.

Also:

Mark 12

41Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny.
43Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on."

Old 01-07-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
And do you follow Gods commandments?
I'm in the same boat you are.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Doe sit really work for you to combine snippets of verses from one passage to snippets from another and jam them together.

What about context?

'Honour' is never used to speak of money in any Bible context.

Yes it does, because both passages are about the same subject. Jesus & Paul were saying the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity