Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:28 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychohmike View Post
We're ALL EARS!!!
I am listening Ironmaw too...all ears over here.....provide us your exegesis of the scriptures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 11:45 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,757,439 times
Quote:
Are you really comfortable reading your presupposition into the scriptures?

He said ALL...You say all meant some. Hmmm...Would you care to support your claim?

We're ALL EARS!!!
Simple deduction my dear Watson ...

We understand what he meant by the context and the simple reality of the facts. Did Christ resurrect the day of his crucifixion? No ... One prophecy not fulfilled at that moment.

Did every knee bow and tongue confess that Christ is lord in heaven and earth on the day Christ was Crucified? No ... Another prophecy not fulfilled on the day Christ was Crucified ...

You are reading something into it that is not there ...

John didn't write ... "After this, Jesus, knowing that ALL PROPHECIES were now accomplished ... "

The word in the Greek translated all things there is "pas" ... All thing had been accomplished that were necessary for Christs death to be finished/accomplished.

Then we read ...

"that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I thirst!” Now a vessel full of sour wine was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth. So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit."

What fulfilled the scripture? Christ saying "I thirst" and "it is finished" ...

What scripture is John referring to that was fulfilled by his words?

Psalm 69:21

They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

Does that mean that Jesus Crucifixion fulfilled all prophecies and scriptures the day he was crucified ... of course not, most biblical prophesies were fulfilled before Christ was ever even born, and many others after he had resurrected and ascended to the father ...

Your simply reading things into the scripture that are clearly not there to prove your hyper preterist hermeneutic ...

Neither of the passages you quoted said anything about all the prophecies in the bible being fulfilled at the time of Christs Crucifixion and any honest student should be able to see that with out much effort.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post

We understand what he meant by the context and the simple reality of the facts. Did Christ resurrect the day of his crucifixion? No ... One prophecy not fulfilled at that moment.
What the heck does this have to do with anything? His death fulfilled the Law, that is the point.

Quote:
Did every knee bow and tongue confess that Christ is lord in heaven and earth on the day Christ was Crucified? No ... Another prophecy not fulfilled on the day Christ was Crucified ...
Again, what does this have to do with the law?

Quote:
No....you are.

Quote:
John didn't write ... "After this, Jesus, knowing that ALL PROPHECIES were now accomplished ... "
No that is what you are assuming Psychomike wrote...LOL again has nothing to do with the LAW.....

Good grief...you know what...your analyzation of even what we, in the 21st century, post, you cannot even discern. Read the OP again. Then think about it, ponder, and come back again when you are ready.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:53 PM

187 posts, read 314,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post

The word there in the Greek translated all things there is "pas" ... All thing had been accomplished that were necessary Christs death to be finished.

Then we read ...

"that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I thirst!” Now a vessel full of sour wine was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth. So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit."

What fulfilled the scripture? Christ saying "I thirst" and "it is finished" ...

What scripture is John referring to that was fulfilled by his words?

Psalm 69:21
They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

Does that mean that Jesus Crucifixion fulfilled all prophecies and scriptures the day he was crucified ... of course not, most biblical prophesies were fulfilled before Christ was ever even born, and many others after he had resurrected and ascended to the father ...

Your simply reading things into the scripture that are clearly not there to prove your hyper preterist hermeneutic ...

Neither of the passages you quoted said anything about all the prophecies in the bible being fulfilled at the time of Christs Crucifixion and any honest student should be able to see that with out much effort.
You really do feel comfortable saying ALL only means some.

Brother...You are free to believe whatever you want. If you really feel the need to over complicate the scriptures to fulfill your carnal needs...then so be it.

You Go Maw

Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 PM

Ironmaw, you have once again proven to us that you cannot interpret the scripture, let alone the topic of the thread. Try again.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:59 PM

I believe Christ is the alpha and omega, and that all things are fulfilled in him and by him, but not that all prophecies were fulfilled at the time of his crucifixion, and the simple reality of history proves my interpretation accurate, at least more so than your own.

What is interesting to me is that you guys believe here all things means all prophecy ... That is not what is written.

And you maintain that all means all ... and i agree, but it doesn't say all prophecy. We must deduce what is meant by the context. If it actually said all prophecy had been fulfilled you would have an argument.

Now apply your logic concerning what "all" means to 1 Tim 4:10 ...

Old 01-04-2010, 01:22 AM

The thread is about the LAW fulfilled in Christ's death...again, compounded and you have again, misunderstood.

I will deal with your other post, in the futurist thread in the morning. Must sleep. Nigh Nigh!

Old 01-04-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
The thread is about the LAW fulfilled in Christ's death...again, compounded and you have again, misunderstood.

I will deal with your other post, in the futurist thread in the morning. Must sleep. Nigh Nigh!
If that is the case perhaps Christs death is the fulfillment of the Law would have been a better title.

Also, when he mentioned modern day Israel and the destruction of the temple in AD 70 it seemed to me that he was referring to biblical prophecy "a la" preterism ... If that is not what he was referring to in the OP i stand corrected.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:04 AM

Ironmaw,

Quote:
Matthew 5:17-18 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled."[/quoe]

He fulfilled the Law.

[quoteJohn 19:28-30 "After this, Jesus, knowing that ALL THINGS were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I thirst!” Now a vessel full of sour wine was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth. So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit."
....Were now accomplished
....teleo ede teleo - the tense is in reference to His death at that point in time

ALL WAS FULFILLED AT THE CROSS.

Jesus is the fulfillment of all things. PERIOD!!!

Quote:
Not modern day Israel. Not modern day Jews.

Jesus is the focus of ALL THINGS.
Noted, Ironmaw, he is refuting the idea of postponed prophecy.

Quote:
The destruction of the temple in AD70, was simply the outward manifestation of the reality that was accomplished at the cross.
The temple destruction is the outward manifestiation of what WAS already ACCOMPLISHED.

You stand corrected.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Matthew 5:17-18 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled."

John 19:28-30 "After this, Jesus, knowing that ALL THINGS were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I thirst!” Now a vessel full of sour wine was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth. So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit."

ALL WAS FULFILLED AT THE CROSS.

Jesus is the fulfillment of all things. PERIOD!!!

Not modern day Israel. Not modern day Jews.

Jesus is the focus of ALL THINGS.

The destruction of the temple in AD70, was simply the outward manifestation of the reality that was accomplished at the cross.

ALL WAS FULFILLED IN CHRIST...And any spiritual blessing to be had is "in Him."

Mike
When He came He came to fulfill the law. He fulfilled the law of the Passover. He fulfilled ALL THINGS pertaining to the law of sacrifices for mankind.

The complement of the nations did not occur in 70 A.D. therefore Christ did not come back in 70 A.D. See Romans 11:25,26 if you don't believe me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity