Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:16 PM

302 posts, read 553,501 times

Advertisements

The scriptures teach that many people are sick because they disobey God.

"Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones." Proverbs 3:7-8

"Fools because of their transgression, and because of their iniquities, are afflicted." Psalms 107:17

"Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word." Psalms 119:67

"It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes." Psalms 119:71

"I know, O LORD, that thy judgments are right, and that thou in faithfulness hast afflicted me." Psalms 119:75

Donna Kupp

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 02:34 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
1 Corinthians 11
24 And when he [Jesus] had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do show the Lord's death till he come.
27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:44 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Many people can get sick because they do not stay clean of the darkness spirits that are in the world,......People need to repent and pray evey time sin comes to them...... People need to pray everytime they even get a pain on their bodies.......People must resist the devil through the prayers of the blood of Jesus Christ.......The sickness of Cancer is the infirmaty of spiritual wickedness of the high places and this spirit must be loosed off the Body of a person, bound up and caste out on a regular bases in Jesus name... a the cancer will be healed by Jesus Through his Spirit. .. People need to have a working faith to keep demons off their body by the blood of Jesus..... Just saying I do not believe or don¨t give the devil any interest because I an resisting by ignoring the devil will not work,,,,,.. You resist the devil by kicking him out of you life all the time. by not sinning.and he will flee.... When you stop sinning Jesus will hold you up in heaven, he will have to come to you rescue and remove the demons so he can Bless you. ... When you continue to sin the authoity goes to the devil and not Jesus

Old 01-07-2010, 06:30 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,147,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post

"Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones." Proverbs 3:7-8

"Fools because of their transgression, and because of their iniquities, are afflicted." Psalms 107:17

"Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word." Psalms 119:67

"It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes." Psalms 119:71

"I know, O LORD, that thy judgments are right, and that thou in faithfulness hast afflicted me." Psalms 119:75

Donna Kupp

Hmmm, what about Paul's "thorn in the flesh" which some scholars say is an eye disorder. Would you say that the Apostle Paul was disobedient then?

And what about Pastor Billy Joe of Victory Christian Center. He just passed away from Cancer along with many other Godly Christian leaders.

What would you say about those people? Just curious.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Many people can get sick because they do not stay clean of the darkness spirits that are in the world,......People need to repent and pray evey time sin comes to them...... People need to pray everytime they even get a pain on their bodies.......People must resist the devil through the prayers of the blood of Jesus Christ.......The sickness of Cancer is the infirmaty of spiritual wickedness of the high places and this spirit must be loosed off the Body of a person, bound up and caste out on a regular bases in Jesus name... a the cancer will be healed by Jesus Through his Spirit. .. People need to have a working faith to keep demons off their body by the blood of Jesus..... Just saying I do not believe or don¨t give the devil any interest because I an resisting by ignoring the devil will not work,,,,,.. You resist the devil by kicking him out of you life all the time. by not sinning.and he will flee.... When you stop sinning Jesus will hold you up in heaven, he will have to come to you rescue and remove the demons so he can Bless you. ... When you continue to sin the authoity goes to the devil and not Jesus
We have all sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God, there is none righteous, no not one. (Romans 3:23)

I truly believe that unbelievers are unprotected therefore more subjected to sickness and disease, but we live in a fallen sinful world. This isn't Heaven and to say that all sick Christians are sick because of sin in their life is really brazen and judgemental. What about young children who get cancer or other sicknesses. There is an age of accountability for children and the Bible says that we come forth out of our mothers womb in sin..

This is ridiculous and why many people flee from Christianity. It is legalism..

Old 01-07-2010, 08:09 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
We have all sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God, there is none righteous, no not one. (Romans 3:23)

I truly believe that unbelievers are unprotected therefore more subjected to sickness and disease, but we live in a fallen sinful world. This isn't Heaven and to say that all sick Christians are sick because of sin in their life is really brazen and judgemental. What about young children who get cancer or other sicknesses. There is an age of accountability for children and the Bible says that we come forth out of our mothers womb in sin..

This is ridiculous and why many people flee from Christianity. It is legalism..
AMEN!!!!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:28 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,454,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post

Donna Kupp

That's what Job's "comforters" tried to tell him, but they were ignorant.

Somebody asked Jesus once "who sinned... that a man should be born blind". Jesus said "no one", "but for the Glory of God this man was born this way" -to paraphrase- and Jesus healed him.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:06 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
My thoughts:

If you read the OP, you'll see that Donna didn't actually say that ALL sickness is caused by sin, but simply that MANY are sick because of disobeying God. (sin) Well, it's true: many are sick because of sin. I don't have a problem with that statement, because I think there is much truth to it.

Example: a young person is promiscuous sexually, then later on comes down with "AIDS", or some other horrible STD. Did their sickness arise because of sin? Yes, it sure did.

Another example: the sin of parents, passed on down to you. (before you poo-poo this concept, read on) My wife has asthma, which is really bad at times. She has to have an "inhaler" on hand at all times, and a "nebulizer" at home, for the more severe attacks. Sometimes she can barely breathe, and, frankly, it's scarey. So...what horriblel sin did she commit, that caused her sickness? NONE! It was no sin of hers. It was the sin of her father, who smoked FOUR packs of cigarettes a day, while she was growing up! Their house was practically always heavily filled with smoke, not a good place for a child with young developing lungs. In those days, not much thought was given to second-hand smoke...but now we see grown-ups paying the price, for what their parents did, so long ago. Is there more to this "sin of the fathers"? IMO: there certainly could be. I think we've only barely scratched the surface on learning what all entails causation of sickness, because I think there are many many causes, and not just sin.

The Bible relates stories of some who were sick due to demonic influence or attack. I have no first-hand experience dealing with this...so won't comment beyond to say that I think there is sometimes a link there too.

Bottem line: there seems to be a definite link between sickness and sin, but not ALL sickness is caused by sin, or even by the sin of the person who is sick...it's a very complex issue.

Sickness is a serious subject, because so many of us here on the forum are struggling with sickness...either us, or our loved ones. Please be in prayer about this common problem...and that some of the replies here will give us insight into understanding this...

Bud

Old 01-08-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
My thoughts:

If you read the OP, you'll see that Donna didn't actually say that ALL sickness is caused by sin, but simply that MANY are sick because of disobeying God. (sin) Well, it's true: many are sick because of sin. I don't have a problem with that statement, because I think there is much truth to it.

Example: a young person is promiscuous sexually, then later on comes down with "AIDS", or some other horrible STD. Did their sickness arise because of sin? Yes, it sure did.

Another example: the sin of parents, passed on down to you. (before you poo-poo this concept, read on) My wife has asthma, which is really bad at times. She has to have an "inhaler" on hand at all times, and a "nebulizer" at home, for the more severe attacks. Sometimes she can barely breathe, and, frankly, it's scarey. So...what horriblel sin did she commit, that caused her sickness? NONE! It was no sin of hers. It was the sin of her father, who smoked FOUR packs of cigarettes a day, while she was growing up! Their house was practically always heavily filled with smoke, not a good place for a child with young developing lungs. In those days, not much thought was given to second-hand smoke...but now we see grown-ups paying the price, for what their parents did, so long ago. Is there more to this "sin of the fathers"? IMO: there certainly could be. I think we've only barely scratched the surface on learning what all entails causation of sickness, because I think there are many many causes, and not just sin.

The Bible relates stories of some who were sick due to demonic influence or attack. I have no first-hand experience dealing with this...so won't comment beyond to say that I think there is sometimes a link there too.

Bottem line: there seems to be a definite link between sickness and sin, but not ALL sickness is caused by sin, or even by the sin of the person who is sick...it's a very complex issue.

Sickness is a serious subject, because so many of us here on the forum are struggling with sickness...either us, or our loved ones. Please be in prayer about this common problem...and that some of the replies here will give us insight into understanding this...

Bud
Thanks for explaining what the OP should have included in the original post. Your explanation is greatly appreciated and I agree with it. And if any have sinned and are sick they may go to the elders of the church for prayer.. God is always ready to heal when we ask and repent of our sin or disobedience.. Praise His Name!!!

James 5:14-15 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him,(A) anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And(B) if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.

Good Post Bud and balanced.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:30 AM

823 posts, read 1,400,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
My thoughts:

Bud
I do agree with a lot of what Bud has to say but sometimes I also believe in the saying "Only the Good Die Young" My Father died young and he was the most giving, unmaterialistic man....it broke my heart when cancer took him just as he was entering retirement.

I also believe that there is always a reason for why things happen and as strange as it may seem, my life really turned around after my Father's death....I feel he has been able to help me more on the other side than he could here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity