Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:18 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,289,856 times

Advertisements

I have been a southern baptist for most of my life, but have found myself struggling lately. I'm considering trying a new type of church and am considering the Catholic church as my first visit.

Could anyone who may have made a denominational change share insite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:31 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Well I started out as a pentecostal but became a baptist this year.. I am not sure I understand your question. you don't change denominations like you change jackets. You look to see which denomination matches your beliefs. .

Old 01-21-2010, 07:35 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I have been a southern baptist for most of my life, but have found myself struggling lately. I'm considering trying a new type of church and am considering the Catholic church as my first visit.

I was raised Catholic . . . but never had a "true relationship" with God . . . I used him as Santa Clause for most of my school years . . . .

Pretty much lived most of my life as agnostic. Upon my new found love for God, His Word . . . I wanted to join a church, we just moved to a small town with no family or friends, and I was homeschooling . . .so part of the reason for wanting to join a church was for Youth Groups for my kids and for the fellowship . . and to learn God's word, praise and worship with others.

I joined a Southern Baptist Church was an awesome preacher. I still like his preaching, but it has been over a year since I have attended . . .and I visit churches when I am convicted to worship with others . . . I do not believe you have to be part of a church . . . . or organized religion . . . but for myself . . . I want that fellowship . . .

I wasn't comfortable with the Southern Baptist Church, and recently found a non-denomination Christian fellowship . . . that has an awesome praise and worship band, and a great bible believing pastor . . . .I've gone there for the last several weeks, and joined a Wed night bible study there that I am enjoying . .

I think you should visit different churches . . . . my beliefs are different than other's at church . . but we are worshipping the same God, and are differences/interpretations of the bible are accepted . . . . and I'm really for once comfortable in a "building" . . . it is come as you are . . . whatever physical, spiritual state you are in . . . all are welcome. Maybe you should give a non-denominational church a try, it's a good fit for me.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:36 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
Well I had more of a baptist background then anything else....but there were too many issues that didn't make sense 'to me' in the way they looked at God.I did all I could to research what other churches believed and eventually joined one.With all the various denominations out there it is helpful to study what the basic beliefs are between various denominations to help you narrow down which is most likely to 'feel right' to you and to learn from the get-go if there is some doctrine central to their church that would be a deal breaker for you.Websites like beliefnet are a good source to get an overview of basic beliefs and have some denomination specific forums where you can see how members discuss their own faith among themselves.The religious education forums site is also good in that respect.goodluck

Old 01-21-2010, 07:56 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
It is not about picking and choosing denominations as if you were at a smorgasbord,it is about having an heartfelt relationship with the Lord. I would say a non-denominational evangelical type church would be the type church to join or maybe a gathering of a few in someone's home as this does constitute a church.The main thing as I have stated is that you have a personal relationship with God as this should be the focus.

Last edited by noland123; 01-21-2010 at 08:31 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 07:59 PM

478 posts, read 773,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
I was raised Catholic . . . but never had a "true relationship" with God . . . I used him as Santa Clause for most of my school years . . . .

Pretty much lived most of my life as agnostic. Upon my new found love for God, His Word . . . I wanted to join a church, we just moved to a small town with no family or friends, and I was homeschooling . . .so part of the reason for wanting to join a church was for Youth Groups for my kids and for the fellowship . . and to learn God's word, praise and worship with others.

I joined a Southern Baptist Church was an awesome preacher. I still like his preaching, but it has been over a year since I have attended . . .and I visit churches when I am convicted to worship with others . . . I do not believe you have to be part of a church . . . . or organized religion . . . but for myself . . . I want that fellowship . . .

I wasn't comfortable with the Southern Baptist Church, and recently found a non-denomination Christian fellowship . . . that has an awesome praise and worship band, and a great bible believing pastor . . . .I've gone there for the last several weeks, and joined a Wed night bible study there that I am enjoying . .

I think you should visit different churches . . . . my beliefs are different than other's at church . . but we are worshipping the same God, and are differences/interpretations of the bible are accepted . . . . and I'm really for once comfortable in a "building" . . . it is come as you are . . . whatever physical, spiritual state you are in . . . all are welcome. Maybe you should give a non-denominational church a try, it's a good fit for me.
I totally agree. Why not, rather than limiting yourself to one specific denomination, try a bunch of different churches- of various denominations- until you find one that meets your needs? That is, of course, if fellowship is equally as important as the sermon itself. Which I would imagine it is, seeing that nowadays it is easy enough to hear whatever gospel you choose via the internet or via various means of technology. But connecting with people that you share common views with, and as well being present and privy to direct ministering of whatever it is you are looking for is best found in your own community. I hope you'll consider investing some time in a little searching- my bet is that the place you feel most at home may surprise you, and as well find you the solace you seek, so long as you don't limit yourself with preconceived notions about ANY denomination, and take ample time in your search in finding one to truly suit you.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:04 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
FYI, that's denominational.

Denominational Definition | Definition of Denominational at Dictionary.com

Old 01-21-2010, 10:03 PM

478 posts, read 773,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
OK not to stick yer craw- really, you're right in that the spelling on the title of the thread (considering a denomational change) was erroneous. But if you check the content of the thread the word denominational was spelled correctly. And as for your help in providing the definition too- well isn't that a little smarmy of ya. The rest of us understood exactly what the OP meant and had no problems politely addressing the issue so...well I guess the onus is on you to elaborate how and why this really is a problem for you...

Just FYI if you're on a grammar or spelling rampage then I'd dare say you've got your work cut out for you- I'm pretty particular myself when it comes to both and, believe me, I cringe when I read some of the thread titles, posted with a complete disregard for the English language. But not nearly so much as when I read the content therein; meaning that the ugliness and ignorance within the content is FAR worse than any digressions far and away from proper English dialect and script...and another FYI- I wouldn't say what I just did at all about hey teach/the poster of this thread, they were very honest and genuine, unlike a lot of others who post things merely to be antagonistic and/or nasty. So I guess that is why I am so quick to find fault with anyone who is giving this person a bad time...OK sorry for the derailment, carry on!

Old 01-21-2010, 10:20 PM

683 posts, read 825,074 times
Denomination: To divide and number, not part of God's plan.... As long as we are divided, we are more easily defeated by the enemy....

I've noticed that almost all of the outspoken zealous athiest that you see these days were raised Catholic....

From the book "You Have Not Many Fathers" by Mark Hanby: He wondered if each of these names served as a label of identity or simply marked the spot where these groups stopped in the progression of God's revelation.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:43 AM

257 posts, read 444,060 times
Honestly, your situation is a challenging one, and one we all face. If Church leaders were mature Christians, they would being doing all they could to end divisions in the body of CHRIST. They would also study the Bible more to learn the true teachings of CHRIST.

But for now the best we could do is to pray earnestly and seek the LORD to lead you. Make it your life long goal to study the scriptures carefully and learn the Truth and obey the Truth. GOD bless you in your journey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity