U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:36 AM

164 posts, read 484,738 times

Advertisements

Depression affects the great and the small
It sets in when your back is against a wall
Some call it melancholy by another name
Whatever its' title the feeling is the same

Elijah was depressed and hid in a cave
Jezebel wanted him lying cold in a grave
Then the Lord spoke in a still small voice
Depression fled and caused Elijah to rejoice

John the Baptist languished in an old jail
No one cared enough to make his bail
He was depressed about his impending fate
He was to be beheaded on a certain date

Then a word from Jesus came as good news
He told him he was Christ the King of the Jews
That the blind receive their sight and the lame walk
That the dead are raised, the deaf hear, the dumb talk

Only Jesus Christ can do such mighty deeds
He feeds the sparrows and tends to their needs
So when depression comes and you're feeling blue
Remember that Jesus loves and cares about you

Irvin L. Rozier aka walkin2e

Old 01-11-2010, 09:14 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,500,601 times
Thank you, walkin2e!

Yes, depression is a awful emotion...Yet, Our Lord Jesus is faithful who will always deliver His people, setting the captive free, healing, encouraging, helping, breaking down the strongholds that would try to keep our hearts in bondage....sending us the power of His Spirit, whom brings back to our remembrance what Christ said to us in His word, to set us free!! Nothing can stand against the WORD of God! It is mighty and powerful!! Our weapon against all our enemies!!

God is our Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace, our refuge in time of need, to keep us under the shadow of His wing! Reminding us we are the apple of His eye.....
He will always come against any and all that would try to bring us harm emotionally, physically, and spiritually!! Praise His Holy Name....

Isaiah 9:6
For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 28:29
This also comes from the LORD of hosts, Who is wonderful in counsel and excellent in guidance.

Isaiah 25:1
O LORD, You are my God.I will exalt You, I will praise Your name, For You have done wonderful things;Your counsels of old are faithfulness and truth.

Psalm 89:8
O LORD God of hosts,Who is mighty like You, O LORD? Your faithfulness also surrounds You.

Psalm 93:4
The LORD on high is mightier, than the noise of many waters, Than the mighty waves of the sea.

Psalm 106:8
Nevertheless He saved them for His name’s sake,That He might make His mighty power known.

Psalm 147:5
Great is our Lord, and mighty in power;His understanding is infinite.

Psalm 107:8
Oh, that men would give thanks to the LORD for His goodness,And for His wonderful works to the children of men!

Psalm 111:4
He has made His wonderful works to be remembered; The LORD is gracious and full of compassion.

The WORD of God is full of His promises, protection, and most of all the assurance of His love to keep us!!

Blessings

Old 01-11-2010, 06:31 PM

478 posts, read 757,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post

Yes, depression is a awful emotion...
With all due respect, depression is not an emotion. It is a biological, and physiological illness which can be debilitating and all-consuming to those who suffer it.

I know you probably meant nothing other than to add some kindness with your post, but I just wanted to make sure to clear that up because depression is a very, very serious illness for some people, and one that can have disastrous results. If faith helps people get through it- that is wonderful. But I hope people also remember that, just like diabetes, heart conditions, etc., there is medication available to treat those who truly suffer physical depression (not those who simply are having a "rough" patch- that is completely different and doesn't apply to what I said. We all have those!).

Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,500,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
With all due respect, depression is not an emotion. It is a biological, and physiological illness which can be debilitating and all-consuming to those who suffer it.

I know you probably meant nothing other than to add some kindness with your post, but I just wanted to make sure to clear that up because depression is a very, very serious illness for some people, and one that can have disastrous results. If faith helps people get through it- that is wonderful. But I hope people also remember that, just like diabetes, heart conditions, etc., there is medication available to treat those who truly suffer physical depression (not those who simply are having a "rough" patch- that is completely different and doesn't apply to what I said. We all have those!).

With all due respect.....Yes, it is very much a seriousness..... I spent 20 yrs in it and being many times on the verge of suicide, wanting the pain to stop in my mind and emotions.
It was then when the Lord through the power of His love bringing His healing through His word that brought healing in my life from the deep, deep dark hole of depression.

It took over ten years for the Lord to bring me to the place of peace within my life and the joy of living !! I was like an onion He was peeling slowly, gently, through those years of resolving the root of that depression!!

And He did it all without meds or counseling through a psychologist or pyschiatrist.....just a whole lot of prayer, opening His word to help understand those emotions that were causing the mental illness of depression and Him continually giving me the faith to trust Him through that dark hole of hopelessness, one who is/has experienced it there is no words one can explain.

Yes, there are some who deal with it biological, etc., !! That need meds and I believe that God opens the door for those who have that chemical in-balance for healing.....by the use of meds, and counselor's.

Blessings...

Old 01-11-2010, 07:13 PM

13,639 posts, read 24,131,855 times
Thank you Walkin2E for another beautifully said lesson..

Old 01-11-2010, 08:00 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,080,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
With all due respect.....Yes, it is very much a seriousness..... I spent 20 yrs in it and being many times on the verge of suicide, wanting the pain to stop in my mind and emotions.
It was then when the Lord through the power of His love bringing His healing through His word that brought healing in my life from the deep, deep dark hole of depression.

It took over ten years for the Lord to bring me to the place of peace within my life and the joy of living !! I was like an onion He was peeling slowly, gently, through those years of resolving the root of that depression!!

And He did it all without meds or counseling through a psychologist or pyschiatrist.....just a whole lot of prayer, opening His word to help understand those emotions that were causing the mental illness of depression and Him continually giving me the faith to trust Him through that dark hole of hopelessness, one who is/has experienced it there is no words one can explain.

Yes, there are some who deal with it biological, etc., !! That need meds and I believe that God opens the door for those who have that chemical in-balance for healing.....by the use of meds, and counselor's.

Blessings...
Wow!! What an awesome testimony. That God delivered you from depression without anything other than His Word.. Praise God..
May we all be as deligent to pursue Him and believe that He is certainly the GREAT PHYSICIAN!!

Now.. please I am not saying that some people don't need counseling, meds and other therapy but I believe that if one is a Christian struggling with depression that the Word should be included in the treatment with priority over anything else. It is the Word that truly sets us free.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:58 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,237,794 times
Good for the poster...
I've witnessed many get out of depression or whatever their depressed about, by going out and accomplishing thier goals...or by making smart decisions...but it didn't take 20 years, they did it in about 3 weeks...and God wasn't really apart of that equation...

Depression is kind of a generic term...

I mean why are some depressed?
1. drinking
2. divorce
3. loss of job
4. loss of loved one
5. loosing ones home to reposession
6. in a bad or abusive relationship
7. low self esteem due to looks, body size, health ect...
8. no friends
9. no opportunity to get ahead
10. Living under a repressive government...(North Korea ect ect)

I personally don't think it would take God 20 years to lift anyone out of depression...if god can create the earth in 6 days...he can get someone out to depression sooner than 20 years...

Rather one gets out of depression, assuming it isnt clinical, when they choose to take steps, mental or physical, to get themselves out...

Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,237,794 times
Some get out of depression (assuming it isn't clinical) by
1.Changing enviornments, moving ect

2. Excorciseing, joining a gym, taking steps to improove their health...a healthy body makes for a healthier mind and spirit, which in turn builds your confidence and allows you to relate to people and the world around you better..

3. Some get out of depression by escaping churches that have particular doctorines that keep one depressed...(Hear what I said...I said they leave church doctorine, not Gods salvation)

4. Changing diet helps some...just eating healthier...

5. Finding someone to love them....(yes, god is love, but he created a partner for adam for a reason...he saw that man was lonely...a social being...)
Isolation from others can often lead to lonliness...
Just believing in God, while being confined to a padded cell, will leave one feeling 'lonely'. God exists, yes, but we still need human contact.

6. And some have been lifted out of depression by winning the lottery...and suddenly the weight of the world is lifted off their shoulders...at least for a while...

(not that money solves all, cause there are plenty of depressed millionares out there...)

7. And sometimes, helping others, taking the attention off of selve, is a great way to get out of a depressed state of mind...

there is no perfect 1 2 3 answer...everyone is so different as to the reason behind their depression...so all we can really do is be general and form a loose template for the sake of discusion

Old 02-01-2010, 03:05 PM

9,583 posts, read 9,627,589 times
Depression can be cleaned by the power of the Holy Spirit through a prayer of exorcism of demons through the name of Jesus Christ....... You might have to brake the curse were these demon were invited to live there, by pitty symathy words, instead of the Words of God which reject depression...... People must look to Hope and foritude in the Lord God,,,,,,, Jesus said blessed are they that mourn for they will be comforted........there`s a promise that Jesus said that he can comfort people who will resist mourning,,,,,So Pray and Jesus will give you a Word,,,, when He gives his Word, You must receive that Word as Hope now,,, or the devil will come immediately to take that Word away from you,,,,,like;; THAT IS A GREAT IDEA HALLALULA,,,, devil come and says through you ;well I do not know now, i think like this. wah wah wah..rebuke the devil in Jesus name and turn your Hope in Christ.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:00 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,380,863 times
Depression was considered by some ancients to be similar to a field laying fallow. It was a productive time to reorganize and redirect one's thoughts after a fertile growth. I find that I will think about things that I would never think about when I am up and so it creates good antithesises. I suppose for some it wrecks them and I suppose there are drugs and such for help and they should seek help, but if one can, one can use it like any tool and take advantage of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity