Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 07:58 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,441,578 times

Advertisements

And though we may not know the day, nor hour, we can know the season........amen?

But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. My friends, the leaves are indeed falling......it's time.

Your friend in Christ, Betsey

Somehow They Knew (http://www.rapturealert.com/2005/010405theyknew.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 08:43 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Amazing article (sans the rapture theories)

Disaster mystery: <br>No dead animals

Thanks Betsy

Old 01-09-2010, 11:18 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
And though we may not know the day, nor hour, we can know the season........amen?

But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. My friends, the leaves are indeed falling......it's time.

Somehow They Knew (http://www.rapturealert.com/2005/010405theyknew.html - broken link)

Yes, they DO somehow know! How do animals, and birds, "know" when a disaster is about to strike? I have no idea...maybe God tells them, but I learned that first hand...and now I watch and listen...

I was but a teenager, living in Seward, Alaska, on March 27, 1964. That's the day the "Good Friday Earthquake", also known as the Great Alaska Earthquake, struck. At 9.2 on the scale, it was, and is, the largest recorded quake in North American history. What I remember vividly of that day was the eerie quietness before the quake hit. There was no wind in the air...just a dead stillness...like something waiting to happen. All day long it was like that. There were NO animals, or birds! None anywhere. Our dog disappeared. Our cat disappeared. There were no wild birds or animals to be found, or seen. It was just really weird. Then, at 5:36 PM, we found out why: a horrible earthquake, which lasted more than three minutes. (some say almost 5 minutes)
1964 Alaska earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A few seconds after the quake started, my dad, mom, and siblings realized we had to get out of the house, so we raced outside. We watched as thousands of pebbles and rocks danced up and down wildly on the heaving ground of our front yard, like popcorn in a pan. I, and the other family members, clung on desperately to the bed of our old Chevy pickup, because there was nothing else to hang onto. All four wheels bounced up and down at random, sometimes on the ground, and sometimes not. We watched hundreds of tops of spruce trees swishing back and forth in unison, like a fishing rod bending under the strain of "fish on". Then...some time later...we saw the red glow in the sky, reflecting off of clouds, from the burning fuel depot in the city, some 7 miles to the south. We knew it was not an "ordinary" quake...like the dozens we'd experienced before...

Ever since then, I get just a little nervous if I don't see a few wild birds flying about...especially along a shoreline. (we were hit with a tsunami after the quake)

The OP has a valid point: the animals and birds watch the signs of the times they are in. We should too...lest we be caught unprepared at the return of our Lord. The signs are there, for those who would see...we ought to prepare and be ready...

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 01-09-2010 at 11:42 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 02:53 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,150,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post

Beautiful Betsey Lane.. A very great article. How ironic that I recently watched a special on the History channel not even a week ago about those earthquakes and tidal waves that the article spoke about. I had watched it a long time ago but I watched it once again for the second time with my son.

Thanks for sharing this and may many come to the saving knowledge of Christ Jesus our Lord....

Old 01-10-2010, 04:49 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
The force of 10,000,000 atomic bombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGhYMM2xeEo

Old 01-10-2010, 04:59 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Yes, they DO somehow know! How do animals, and birds, "know" when a disaster is about to strike? I have no idea...maybe God tells them, but I learned that first hand...and now I watch and listen...

I was but a teenager, living in Seward, Alaska, on March 27, 1964. That's the day the "Good Friday Earthquake", also known as the Great Alaska Earthquake, struck. At 9.2 on the scale, it was, and is, the largest recorded quake in North American history. What I remember vividly of that day was the eerie quietness before the quake hit. There was no wind in the air...just a dead stillness...like something waiting to happen. All day long it was like that. There were NO animals, or birds! None anywhere. Our dog disappeared. Our cat disappeared. There were no wild birds or animals to be found, or seen. It was just really weird. Then, at 5:36 PM, we found out why: a horrible earthquake, which lasted more than three minutes. (some say almost 5 minutes)
1964 Alaska earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A few seconds after the quake started, my dad, mom, and siblings realized we had to get out of the house, so we raced outside. We watched as thousands of pebbles and rocks danced up and down wildly on the heaving ground of our front yard, like popcorn in a pan. I, and the other family members, clung on desperately to the bed of our old Chevy pickup, because there was nothing else to hang onto. All four wheels bounced up and down at random, sometimes on the ground, and sometimes not. We watched hundreds of tops of spruce trees swishing back and forth in unison, like a fishing rod bending under the strain of "fish on". Then...some time later...we saw the red glow in the sky, reflecting off of clouds, from the burning fuel depot in the city, some 7 miles to the south. We knew it was not an "ordinary" quake...like the dozens we'd experienced before...

Ever since then, I get just a little nervous if I don't see a few wild birds flying about...especially along a shoreline. (we were hit with a tsunami after the quake)

The OP has a valid point: the animals and birds watch the signs of the times they are in. We should too...lest we be caught unprepared at the return of our Lord. The signs are there, for those who would see...we ought to prepare and be ready...

Bud
Here is some actual footage Bud from 1964.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoJLfsRvE5c

Old 01-10-2010, 08:56 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,375,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
...The OP has a valid point: the animals and birds watch the signs of the times they are in. We should too...lest we be caught unprepared at the return of our Lord. The signs are there, for those who would see...we ought to prepare and be ready...

Bud
Thanks for sharing that awesome experience and reaching the conclusions you did. I think there are prophecies somewhere that there will yet be a quake larger than any before experienced on earth as the restoration of all things works its inexorable way. I suppose all living will become aware of it when that one happens. We live in exciting times for sure, but if we are prepared we shall not fear even though our mortal lives might be in danger...

-----------
48 And then shall the Lord set his foot upon this mount, and it shall cleave in twain, and the earth shall tremble, and reel to and fro, and the heavens also shall shake.

49 And the Lord shall utter his voice, and all the ends of the earth shall hear it; and the nations of the earth shall mourn, and they that have laughed shall see their folly.

50 And calamity shall cover the mocker, and the scorner shall be consumed; and they that have watched for iniquity shall be hewn down and cast into the fire.

51 And then shall the Jews look upon me and say: What are these wounds in thine hands and in thy feet?

52 Then shall they know that I am the Lord; for I will say unto them: These wounds are the wounds with which I was wounded in the house of my friends. I am he who was lifted up. I am Jesus that was crucified. I am the Son of God.

53 And then shall they weep because of their iniquities; then shall they lament because they persecuted their king. D&C 45: 48-53

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/45/48-53#48

Old 01-10-2010, 10:35 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
The force of 10,000,000 atomic bombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGhYMM2xeEo

Thanks firstborn for posting that link. It was amazing how much damage that not just the quake, but then the resultant tsunami caused. It wasn't a local event...it was spread out over hundreds of miles of Alaskan shoreline, and eventually went all the way across the Pacific. Some say they felt the ground shimmer as far south as Texas. I don't know if I'll ever experience anything like that again, but the event is burned into my memory...

Bud

Old 01-13-2010, 08:17 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,441,578 times
Thank you all for sharing. I thought that it was a beautiful article and just wanted to share. Hope you enjoyed it.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,550 times
Betsey, thank you for the article, I will share that with my kids, Blessings, Lifesigns64
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity