Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:35 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times

Advertisements

In all seriousness, Jesus told us that "except our righteousness exceeded that of the scribes and Pharisees, we would not enter in." (Mat 5:20) Seeing the whole of the issue is critical in many ways to the Christian. Who's righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees?

Jesus.

How do we live with His righteousness, and not our own? We allow the Holy Spirit to apply the cross to our lives, and ask Him to replace all that is within us with His life.

Big process, but any discussion of sin and hell brings the topic of dying to self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 09:56 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,760,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
In all seriousness, Jesus told us that "except our righteousness exceeded that of the scribes and Pharisees, we would not enter in." (Mat 5:20) Seeing the whole of the issue is critical in many ways to the Christian. Who's righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees?

Jesus.

How do we live with His righteousness, and not our own? We allow the Holy Spirit to apply the cross to our lives, and ask Him to replace all that is within us with His life.

Big process, but any discussion of sin and hell brings the topic of dying to self.

Remember the parable of the Pharisee and the Publican(Luke 18:9-14). Why was the publican Justified and the Pharisee not? Because the publican was humble and pleaded to god for mercy, acknowledging his own sin. While the Pharisee was puffed up, being in condemnation of the publican and glorigying himself with thanks to God for making him unlike the Publican.

This is a very telling parable which reveals much of what Christ was saying about sinners and salvation.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:38 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Wouldn't you say, the greatest sin OF ALL cannot be forgiven and cannot be unpardoned?
Only as long as man refuses. When man accepts it, then it becomes pardonable.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Jesus.

Allowing the Holy Spirit to work on the soul has nothing to do with the cross as the cross is a man made thing. Only that which is spiritual can apply to sin and the unpardonable sin. Man can deny the cross all their lives throughout eternity and still reside in Heaven with God.

The Holy Spirit is a part of God while the cross is part of man.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:44 AM

305 posts, read 360,284 times
Quote:

Jesus.

What is the common 'sin' between the scribes and the Pharisees? To my understanding, it was pride. If you look at Isaiah 14 (KJV):

12How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

13For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: 14I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

Here, is decribed the pride that Lucifer had. It is the only sin that I can think of that is mentioned in the Bible that made Lucifer fall. So, IMHO, Humility seems to be a requirement. How can we accept the ways of another (Jesus) if we are not humble?

Old 01-26-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Allowing the Holy Spirit to work on the soul has nothing to do with the cross as the cross is a man made thing.
Disagree - (1) if the cross was "man made", the Savior wouldn't have commanded us to carry it

and (2) the very thing in us - the carnal life - requires death

Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die. (1 Cor 15:36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Man can deny the cross all their lives throughout eternity and still reside in Heaven with God.
You're tripping if you think a Christian will swallow that.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneSentinel View Post
What is the common 'sin' between the scribes and the Pharisees? To my understanding, it was pride. If you look at Isaiah 14 (KJV):

12How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

13For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: 14I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

Here, is decribed the pride that Lucifer had. It is the only sin that I can think of that is mentioned in the Bible that made Lucifer fall. So, IMHO, Humility seems to be a requirement. How can we accept the ways of another (Jesus) if we are not humble?
I agree, but Jesus was speaking of the law in that Chapter of Matthew (5).

Old 01-26-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Disagree - (1) if the cross was "man made", the Savior wouldn't have commanded us to carry it

and (2) the very thing in us - the carnal life - requires death

Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die. (1 Cor 15:36)

You're tripping if you think a Christian will swallow that.
Yes, the body has to die yet you are still spiritual. Everything that Jesus taught had to do with the soul of man. The cross has nothing to do with the spirit part of man. Taking up the cross requires us to carry our own burdens and not put them onto another. It has nothing to do with the Holy Spirit or Jesus' death. It was the instrument that was used for that purpose and nothing more. There were hundreds killed the same way in Jesus' time.

If you do not work on your soul, you cannot have eternal life even if you believe in Jesus the man or that Jesus is God. It won't matter because your soul will lie dormant until you awaken to the Truth of Jesus' teachings. That is what's important and nothing man made can get you to Heaven. It all has to do with the spirit part of you. Denying the Holy Spirit to do the work of bringing to man Divine Love is unpardonable until man realizes this great Truth and asks God to bring it into their souls. If you know what it is and what is does and you still do not ask for it, it will remain unpardonable because God will not allow you to enter the Kingdom without It.

It doesn't matter to me who believes it. It's only what I believe that matters to me.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:16 PM

305 posts, read 360,284 times
Quote:

Jesus.

*ech* The way you speak sometimes throws me off ... You are right about what that scripture was about.

When we live righteously, why is it not our righteousness through His example? This is not a question about pride as my statement is not meant to give one who lives righteously pride because we ALL still sin.

I am starting to think that although in many ways, you and I would agree in many places, the fact that we don't agree on 'Free Will' (a BIG subject) it is hard for us to fully agree...

Old 01-26-2010, 03:20 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneSentinel View Post
the fact that we don't agree on 'Free Will' (a BIG subject) it is hard for us to fully agree...
You're both right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity