Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:16 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
All analogies limp......I am only showing that in EVERYTHING we must take it literal or else we won't understand nothing. How can you understand a poem if you don't take it literal and then break it down. Same with the bible.
Like I said....apples to oranges. We don't have a Spirit that guides us when we read carnal mans literature but we do have a Spirit that guides us into the spiritual meanings of scripture....carnal man or those without the light will never understand it...if they read it a million times they will NEVER UNDERSTAND the spiritual meanings unless they have the Spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 10:17 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Like I said....apples to oranges. We don't have a Spirit that guides us when we read carnal mans literature but we do have a Spirit that guides us into the spiritual meanings of scripture....carnal man or those without the light will never understand it...if they read it a million times they will NEVER UNDERSTAND the spiritual meanings unless they have the Spirit.
I am curious the words you just used. Are they carnal or spiritual?

Old 01-28-2010, 10:19 AM

809 posts, read 1,862,090 times
I have to agree with Fundy here.

a Parable is like a way of saying "my word is bond". Like when Jesus told his followers not to worship goats or graven images. those were parables. things like "Love thy neighbor", etc..

parable

One entry found.

Main Entry: par·a·ble
Pronunciation: \ˈpa-rə-bəl\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin parabola, from Greek parabolē comparison, from paraballein to compare, from para- + ballein to throw — more at devil
Date: 14th century
: example; specifically : a usually short fictitious story that illustrates a moral attitude or a religious principle

Old 01-28-2010, 10:20 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie85 View Post
I am not a fundamentalist, but I don't believe it is my place to judge who is a "true Christian."
I'm with you - but here's $100 a fundamentalist would disagree, lol! They WANT everyone to be judged. I'm content to let GOD do the judging

Old 01-28-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'm with you - but here's $100 a fundamentalist would disagree, lol! They WANT everyone to be judged. I'm content to let GOD do the judging
You just judged yourself

Old 01-28-2010, 10:32 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
You just judged yourself
The question is "are fundamentalists true Christians?" THAT is what I was saying I won't judge. THAT is what I am leaving up to God.

We all make judgements in life - it's part of everyday survival actually, but only GOD HIMSELF will judge who has, and who HAS NOT, been his true follower - not man, including fundamentalists who think they know all of God's mind.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The question is "are fundamentalists true Christians?" THAT is what I was saying I won't judge. THAT is what I am leaving up to God.

We all make judgements in life - it's part of everyday survival actually, but only GOD HIMSELF will judge who has, and who HAS NOT, been his true follower - not man, including fundamentalists who think they know all of God's mind.
No one is saying, you go around to different people to accuse them of not being a follower. It is the job of the shepherd of preaching the word correctly and soundly so that people can be convicted and the Holy Spirit can work in them furthermore if you have goats in the church and they go into the world and do despicable things, it reflects and hurts the gospel not to mention the church that person attends(When the world screams HYPOCRITES!!) So it is scriptural.

But we are off topic

Old 01-28-2010, 10:58 AM

305 posts, read 360,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie85 View Post
I am not a fundamentalist, but I don't believe it is my place to judge who is a "true Christian."
I'm with you Brie!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:58 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
Quote:
I am only showing that in EVERYTHING we must take it literal or else we won't understand nothing. How can you understand a poem if you don't take it literal and then break it down. Same with the bible.
The Bible spoke of those trying to digest and swallow meat, when they still are on the bottle....

'Nuff said.....

Old 01-28-2010, 11:00 AM

305 posts, read 360,341 times
Quote:
I diasgree if we don't establish what is a true Christian then we are doing a huge, deadly, damnation disservice to the people in our churches who think they are Christians but really they are not. Jesus referred to them as goats.

If I understand you correctly, I disagree...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity