Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:40 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneSentinel View Post
This is how I understood it also, CG. Fundy is making me think about it though. Given me a little doubt about the understanding. Now, I admit that I have no recollection of 'gnashing my teeth' in pain. According to Mirriam-Webster, to gnash is synonymous with to grind or to strike. But I have clenched my teeth together in pain and I also have clenched my teeth together in strong disagreement(What can I say? it's an election year!). Could the evolution of our language changed the meaning of the word 'gnashed'? Or could the understanding of the greek word that the originals were written in have lost or gained emphasis as the years passed? Just wondering what others think on this thought.
FYI - Gnashing refers to grating the teeth in anger or rage according to the Greek "brugmos".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 02:48 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
"Weeping and Gnashing of Teeth" I don't think however u read it, it's going to be a pleasant experience.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:09 PM

305 posts, read 360,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
FYI - Gnashing refers to grating the teeth in anger or rage according to the Greek "brugmos".
Is it possible to interpret it in another way? I guess the thing I am trying to figure out is when I think of these verses contained in Matthew 13 in a literal sense:
Quote:
41The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
42And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
I think about the furnace of fire and I would think that would contain unbearable physical pain. The anger or rage that would be needed to 'gnash ones teeth' - could one hold those thoughts of rage and anger while also enduring unspeakable physical pain?

Old 01-28-2010, 04:16 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Jesus said ;;;; And I say unto you, that many shall come from the East and west and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven... but the children of the kingdom shall be caste out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.... Matthew 8: 11-12...... in other scripture Jesus said that he will send there; all things that offend, them that do iniquity, the wicked, those people in a parable that have not got their wedding garments, the parable of the unprofitable servent....... I believe that gnashing of teeth is like a women in labour about to give birth were horrible pain.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:24 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Weeping and gnashing of teeth has always symbolized . . . regret.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Jesus said ;;;; And I say unto you, that many shall come from the East and west and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven... but the children of the kingdom shall be caste out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.... Matthew 8: 11-12...... in other scripture Jesus said that he will send there; all things that offend, them that do iniquity, the wicked, those people in a parable that have not got their wedding garments, the parable of the unprofitable servent....... I believe that gnashing of teeth is like a women in labour about to give birth were horrible pain.
Can a woman who has gone through the pains of labor answer this? Did you ever have rage and anger for the pain you felt?

Old 01-28-2010, 05:43 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,031,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneSentinel View Post
In many Biblical scriptures that seem to be about 'Hell', there is reference to 'gnashing of teeth'. Depending on the reference, how do you understand its meaning?
To place blame on another.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:08 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
The stoning of Stephen:
Acts 7:54
[ The Stoning of Stephen ] When they heard this, they were furious and gnashed their teeth at him.

Gnashed can also mean to be very angry; not just in torment, or anguish ect.
There will be those who will be very angry \ hateful of God when they are sent to their eternal damnation. Many believe really believe that eternal damnation is a fairy tale...........and go on trying to prove God wrong.

Matthew 13:42
They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 8:12, Matthew 13:50, Matthew 22:13,

Luke 13:28
"There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:32 PM

So, is the 'furnace of fire' an analogy?

Old 01-29-2010, 02:59 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Yes lego....I absolutely agree....especially when you see some of the idiocy that is posted here.
dito

concerning the subject of "hell", here a explanation from an annihilationist point of view:

Why traditional theology is biblically wrong about the first century phrase "gnashing of teeth"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity