Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:40 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
No, you DON'T!

Please explain to me how a tornado blowing through a junkyard and creating a 747 has anything to do with evolution? If anything, that is what I would call a "spontaneous creation event" and that is precisely why this analogy is so downright absurd. By all means... The floor is yours to explain how selection, heredity, and replication over extended periods of time even remotely resembles a tornado spontaneously constructing a 747. In fact, Information Theory might be a good place for you to start your research.
Also may I ask the the evidence be presented in all caps. I really find it draws your eyes in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 08:19 PM

11 posts, read 13,646 times
Admittedly the metaphor is flawed at best, but it refers to the likely hood of the number of steps in the evolutionary chain that need to be taken in specific sequences.

For example the structure allowing the development of eyes needs to form in exactly the sequence that it is in, or it would offer no benefit - and therefore not be selected through natural selection.

Hence the comparison to a 747 putting itself together - never going to happen.

I agree with the original post, the whole idea is utter rubbish. Without literal creation there's no eden, therefore no sin, therefore no saviour. Evolution requires sin, therefore death, from the beginning of life - just a few million years before man (round about - i'm sure it'll get to a few billion eventually though).

As a Christian there really should be no discussion, it you trust Christ you should trust God - and the bible's God's word. Some parts admittedly use lots of imagery, but come on - Genesis? Its written in such a straight forward way.

I must admit i absolutely love geology and using scientific method but lots of the information on evolution is found by using improper method.

If I go into an experiment expecting certain results, I too keep manipulating the results till I get those I want - everyone's guilty of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity