U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:01 AM

8,989 posts, read 13,402,394 times

Advertisements

Former atheist Greg Boyd who believes evolution and creation are one in the same admits there might be a problem with his gap theory.....I so feel so sorry for him I applaud his honesty in searching for the truth but unfortunately is still misguided.

If you don't take a literal account of genesis-God's word and instead come up with different theories to appease science then you are no where closer in finding the trut then if you take it literal.

Random Reflections - Greg Boyd: Back to the Drawing Board on the "Gap Theory"

"The advantages of my version of the gap theory are that it solves an exegetical problem (viz. reconciling Genesis 1 with the dozen or so other creation accounts that involve conflict); it accounts for an old earth; and it accounts for the carnage that existed before humans ever came around. But I have to confess it runs into a significant problem with the geological and palentological record. It also runs into problems with the genetic record, since the vast majority of scientists are now convinced there is a rather seamless ancestry that can be genetically traced from the lower primates up to humans. (Miller gave some of this evidence, and it was very impressive).................."

but that was 2007...I am sure he will come up with a new theory. On the otherhand I will stick to what the bible says literally.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 02-02-2010 at 08:45 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 10:28 AM

303 posts, read 527,237 times
yeah theres a few things I got out of listening to greg in the past but I ran into the fact that alot of things he believes really contradict scripture and he seems to be constantly trying to fit a square into a circle to appease his intellectual peers so I stopped listening to him altogether...too much leaven...

Old 02-02-2010, 11:21 AM

4,439 posts, read 8,556,450 times
I don't know who Greg Boyd is nor do I care. However, I am fascinated by your "burn" of him.

Greg Boyd never really had a "theory".. he had a thought. That was it. In my head Greg would have been better off stating from the beginning:

"I have no idea how it all works out. What I do know is the earth is more than 6,000 years old and evolution does occur. What I don't know is if Genesis is to be taken literally. However, given the MOUNTAINS of physical evidence pointing to the contrary of a literal Genesis I think its safe to assume that taking a literal translation of Genesis is similar to thinking Bugs Bunny was an ACTUAL bunny and that Wylie E. Coyote was an ACTUAL real life coyote with a big expense tab at ACME."

Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 AM

and Im still waiting for a tornado to go through a junkyard and put together a 747

Old 02-02-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caucazhin View Post
and Im still waiting for a tornado to go through a junkyard and put together a 747
which is why your post receives the bigthirsty post of the month for its simple awesomeness.. you might say Bigthirsty.. this is only the 2nd day of the month.. we still have lots of days to go! I say bullocks! You brilliantly used the English language to convey that you don't understand. In one sentence you are not only able to verify that you don't understand the difference between evolution and abiogenesis but you also verify that you don't understand evolution on any level. You are efficient! I mean all in one sentence! Brilliant!

Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 AM

oh I do understand and its nonsense

Old 02-02-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
oh I do understand and its nonsense
actually you don't

I submit the following as evidence:
Quote:

Old 02-02-2010, 12:07 PM

I DO AND ITS STILL NONSENSE
Abiogenesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-02-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Yet the link fundy provided is speaking directly to evolution..

hmm.. You might have out did yo'self.. Now your totally efficient sentence is in all CAPS thus drawing the reader in so they can see even quicker that you don't have a clue about Evolution or Abiogenesis.

I didn't think you had it in you but the all caps thing.. that is beautiful!

Old 02-02-2010, 01:32 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,820,149 times
Quote:
I DO AND ITS STILL NONSENSE

No, you DON'T!

Please explain to me how a tornado blowing through a junkyard and creating a 747 has anything to do with evolution? If anything, that is what I would call a "spontaneous creation event" and that is precisely why this analogy is so downright absurd. By all means... The floor is yours to explain how selection, heredity, and replication over extended periods of time even remotely resembles a tornado spontaneously constructing a 747. In fact, Information Theory might be a good place for you to start your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity