Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 01:36 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,018 times

Advertisements

my fellow Christians - anyone else been through or going through this?
Seems I've had several rounds throughout my life, the current tougher but clearer!
Hebrews 5:7-10 is certainly illuminating, as I've long spurned suffering.
A tough teaching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 02:18 PM

33,258 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Life happens.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:13 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
The only thing I've learned from suffering is that I may be a bit of an idiot.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:14 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
No pain, no gain. It can be a way of strengthening and progressing. What we tend to call "suffering" might not even be that if we approach it with a healthy attitude.

Obedience is a different matter, and more questionable. A lot of "obedience" is trouble in the making.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-21-2019 at 03:22 PM..

Old 08-21-2019, 03:15 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Seems I've had several rounds throughout my life, the current tougher but clearer!
A tough teaching?
What...learning obedience thru suffering? No.

Suffering:
I learn that this place is not where I want to place my attention.
I learn that nothing in this world can truly bring lasting satisfaction, peace and happiness...
I learn that everything ends.
I learn that physical pain (that I could only imagine could happen after stepping on a land mine) can be
risen above, tolerated, a teacher, endured and even ends.
Gosh, I learned so much in any suffering I used to have

Obedience:
But, obedience to what? The Golden Rule?
To the advice from Paul and Jesus and James and Peter or God thru the prophets, like Jeremiah?

I call that following advice and guidance..not obedience....Focus on the things above, Cast your cares,
do not worry, be anxious for nothing, give God your burdens,
believe and be open to receiving, see Him in the least of these, give to the needy, know and understand the Lord..generally rely on God, know Him and find freedom.

Obeying makes me feel like I'm a dog with a master. That I am not...I'm an heir of Christ's,
Gods beloved daughter...with all the privileges that gives...
any door is there to be opened by me when ready.
Obedience is not a thought I have.
Like in a marriage, that vow of obeying the husband...hogwash...where there is love there is love...no obeying.
Those are my thoughts on the op.
Ya never know what you're gonna get when you pose these questions, lol HA!

Old 08-21-2019, 03:17 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,024,985 times
Jesus did say ..``Come to me , all you who are weary and burden, and I will give you rest ..Take my yoke on you , and learn from me , for I am gentle and humble of heart, and you will rest ... For my yoke is easy , and my burden is light `` Matthew 11; 28-30...... See people can take the burden from the Lord , and breeze through things , or people could say faith is hard and take the burden from the wicked spirit of this world , where life will be hard .......

Old 08-21-2019, 03:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Not obedience. But suffering has taught me perseverance, patience, black humour, and empathy for the pain of others.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:27 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Not obedience. But suffering has taught me perseverance, patience, black humour, and empathy for the pain of others.
So true. It's almost as if a person can guess the amount of suffering a person has experienced by their compassion and empathy for it in others. I always think of what a bright star Geeki is and how much pain she has had to overcome to be who she is today. Some people let it break them and turn them cold and some, like her, turn it into something amazing.

Is there any other humour than black?

Old 08-21-2019, 03:29 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Romans 8:28 contains some comforting words for those enduring hardship and suffering: “We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

Old 08-21-2019, 03:43 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,731,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
A tough teaching?
oh man.. yep it is a tough life..
and then confusing when it Seems He is doing it on purpose.. when you know it is the Lord wounding you..
life was hard but it takes on a whole new something when you know it is him hurting you..
rev3 when he is demanding that we....." come buy from me gold.. and eye ointment..."
but I found this verse and just hold on tight to him in it..!

Psa 118:13

Thou hast thrust sore at me that I might fall: but the LORD helped me.

Psa 118:14

The LORD is my strength and song, and is become my salvation.

Psa 118:15

The voice of rejoicing and salvation is in the tabernacles of the righteous: the right hand of the LORD doeth valiantly.

Psa 118:16

The right hand of the LORD is exalted: the right hand of the LORD doeth valiantly.

Psa 118:17

I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the LORD.

Psa 118:18

The LORD hath chastened me sore: but he hath not given me over unto death.

Psa 118:19

Open to me the gates of righteousness: I will go into them, and I will praise the LORD:

Psa 118:20

This gate of the LORD, into which the righteous shall enter.

Psa 118:21

I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation.

Psa 118:22

The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.

Psa 118:23

This is the LORD'S doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.

Psa 118:24

This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Psa 118:25

Save now, I beseech thee, O LORD: O LORD, I beseech thee, send now prosperity.

Psa 118:26

Blessed be he that cometh in the name of the LORD: we have blessed you out of the house of the LORD.

Psa 118:27

God is the LORD, which hath shewed us light: bind the sacrifice with cords, even unto the horns of the altar.

Psa 118:28

Thou art my God, and I will praise thee: thou art my God, I will exalt thee.

Psa 118:29

O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.

then i think Ps. I36.... hebrews 2 about him helping is with fear is important thing also. right now.

I think 136 ...is all about what his mercy really is!
not what we want it to be!! :P

it is good reading when your hurting.
it proves you could be having a worse day.. :P and how that would be his mercy also.
oh yes.. a good reality check never hurts the honest soul.
the whole body of believers is going through it mostly since the blood moons.. but maybe as early as 9/11
because something huge is happening very soon ( year or two ) ..and so his people are being tested by him , so that we learn who we are.. and that we need to really only trust him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity