Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:14 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, it is as I thought, gave over = give up = let them exercise their free will.

People need to remember that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit won't tolerate a body which frequents in sexual immorality.
Ahh, I just made it to this post. Yes, it is given up. Like also those who have fallen away and serve other masters, other god's, and all sorts of damnable crappola. There is nothing in the text that would give me a conclusion to think this is talking about homosexuals,,,again. This is talking about believers who play the harlot, and raise their kids accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 06:23 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
HotinAZ,
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:47 PM

696 posts, read 915,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
I would ask you to read my reply above. It says they KNEW God and no longer honored Him AS God. So does this mean when people fall away, they become homosexuals, or rather does it mean they do the things which are improper, because their minds are depraved??

I cannot see, now, where Paul would spend 2 verses on the "natural" functions of the man and woman, to then turn around and spend time giving emotional and physical sins a few verses later, after explaining why this was happening.

It is food for thought. I shared it, as we are called to do with Bread. Take it if you will, or just push it aside. My task is done.
I did reply. It is quite clear what it was. Perhaps you should read the secular writings of the age or a commentary that would assist you in this thought. It could be food for thought but it is quite clear it is more a hypothesis which can be disproven by scripture and secular fact. If you truly want to have your task done expand it to find supporting evidence. Or like most of philosophy it is subjective and questionable.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
HotinAZ,
All I am trying to say is the piece of Paul's letter to the Romans in chapter 1, verses 26-27 do not apply to homosexuals, but rather to those who have fallen away, and left the natural functions of the family, and society, and God has since given them over to degrading passions and lusts. Yes, this was derailed a bit by commentary, but over all,,,look at the evidence to support what God has shown me.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:32 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Only if they are believers. I am sure if they do not believe, then they could care less what you believe. Ask them, they will tell you. Only God has the power to change hearts to Him. But before one can point out another's sin, we had better make sure our eyes are clear first. Otherwise, hypocrite, will be slung in your direction.
Yes most probably don't care what I believe, and yes God has the power to change them, but we are commanded by Jesus to tell others about Him. Matthew 28:19-20 and again in Acts 1:8

Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschultz73 View Post
I did reply.
I didn't ask you to reply, I asked you to read my reply.

Quote:
It is quite clear what it was.
For you.

Quote:
Perhaps you should read the secular writings of the age or a commentary that would assist you in this thought.
I asked for guidence rom the Spirit, not from man. This is exactly what Paul is talking about, in case you didn't know.

Quote:
It could be food for thought but it is quite clear it is more a hypothesis which can be disproven by scripture and secular fact.
Prove it then. I gave you definitions, broken the verses down, and then wrote what I was led to write. You gave me, yea, commentary, which is the same verbage recited over and over by religious men, claiming to know the Truth. But Paul says they exchanged the Truth for a lie. Hmm, what Truth?? And having exchanged this Truth, they left women for men and became homosexuals? Please.

Quote:
If you truly want to have your task done expand it to find supporting evidence.
Which is what I did. But not from man, from Scripture.

Quote:
Or like most of philosophy it is subjective and questionable.
The only things subjective and questionable is the reason men translated our Holy Word the way the did to support their doctrines of devils.

If you believe the English translation, only, you would see Paul commanding everyone to serve more than 1 master, that sin is ok, and that Jesus saves everyone no matter what. This is garbage. This is what Paul is also talking about the entire first chapter of Romans, only laid way further out.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:10 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
HotinAZ,
I agree,I understand everybody's response except except for the OP,which makes no sense at all.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Look it up, along with all the other words there. You might learn something.
Yes, I already have, and it is confirmed every time I do. He is talking about homosexual acts.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 02-12-2010 at 05:35 AM..

Old 02-12-2010, 05:29 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Ahh, I just made it to this post. Yes, it is given up. Like also those who have fallen away and serve other masters, other god's, and all sorts of damnable crappola. There is nothing in the text that would give me a conclusion to think this is talking about homosexuals,,,again. This is talking about believers who play the harlot, and raise their kids accordingly.
How do you understand the below verse? What shameful acts were the men committing with other men? Playing dominoes? It is crystal clear he is talking about homosexual acts.

Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How do you understand the below verse? What shameful acts were the men committing with other men? Playing dominoes? It is crystal clear he is talking about homosexual acts.

Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.
You have to remember that Paul is writing the Romans. What are the Romans famous for concerning men and men? Homosexuals? No. How about gladiators, games, etc. Read my post again again,,,

Notice how when you get to verse 26-27 you had to imply a whole slew of stuff in there. It isn't what it said, but you have implied it to mean what you wanted it to say.

Just like every other preacher.

Look at verse 27 closely. See the receive? Same words that Jesus used here:

"If you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is {that} to you? Even sinners lend to sinners in order to receive back the same"

What is the "due penalty"? This needs to really be looked at closely. It is the word in the Greek= antimisthia which is 1) a reward given in compensation

Reward given in compensation? In other words, something for nothing. Compensation is what is due to a person who works. It is "anti" to "mithos", and "mithos" is:
1) dues paid for work
a) wages, hire
2) reward: used of the fruit naturally resulting from toils and endeavours
And this here on part 2 is talking about the rewards of hard work, like planting fruit, and being rewarded with a crop.

So it is antimithos. Pray tell me what this has ANYTHING to do with homosexuality? And why would the homosexual receive the "due penalty" of their "error", which by the way is the same word as a falsehood. Or delusion. In fact, Paul used this word again here:

For this reason God will send upon them a deluding(ERROR) influence so that they will believe what is false,

Hmm, is this talking about homosexuality? I think not.

See, any time a word cannot be referenced throughout scripture, so that scripture interprets scripture as we are commanded to do, and such a word apppears once,,,then I would question the proper use of that word.
For example. The word "function or use" in some translations. Look it up! It simply means to "use". But it also has a sub definition which claims it is used of sex. How many times in the Word? 2 verses!! 26 and 27 of 1 Romans. Hmm, to convenient.

Also, look at the word "degrading passions". This is described for both men and women. Passions must be talking about sexual thoughts, right? I mean, it should be that simple. Let us look at it closely defined:

1) whatever befalls one, whether it be sad or joyous
a) spec. a calamity, mishap, evil, affliction
2) a feeling which the mind suffers
a) an affliction of the mind, emotion, passion
b) passionate deed
c) used by the Greeks in either a good or bad sense
d) in the NT in a bad sense, depraved passion, vile passions

Hmm, ok. No sex there either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity