Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is meant by God is sovereign?
Man cannot go against what God set to happen. 9 75.00%
God gave man the ability to choose what will happen. 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:38 PM

370 posts, read 452,228 times

Advertisements

Are we to understand sovereign as God is in control/knows the end from the beginning/purposed everything to happen a certain way/has a perfect plan, or that he gave man the ability to go against all of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 01:41 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,940,722 times
Man has free will. He can walk with God in obedience, or he can walk the paths of sin with the devil.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Man has free will. He can walk with God in obedience, or he can walk the paths of sin with the devil.
That's not answering the question. I asked how you interpret the word sovereign in light of that.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:57 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,680,370 times
Flaminghedge,

I agree that God is sovereign and the end is known and decreed but we do have choices in how we live our life.

What we sow, we reap.

A verse that I believe shows our accountability and Gods sovreignity is this one.

1Pe 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

To me it seems that judgment is about the flesh which is destined for destruction, and resurrection and living is of the spirit.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Flaminghedge,

I agree that God is sovereign and the end is known and decreed but we do have choices in how we live our life.

What we sow, we reap.

A verse that I believe shows our accountability and Gods sovreignity is this one.

1Pe 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

To me it seems that judgment is about the flesh which is destined for destruction, and resurrection and living is of the spirit.
I don't see how you get that from that verse.

Yes, we do have choices, but those choices will only lead us down the path that God foreordained. We can't choose against what is to happen.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:25 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,125,007 times
Flaminghedge, I think your poll may be ambiguous if you think about it.

God is indeed sovereign, so that no man can choose to do anything different than God already knows what will happen. In fact God has declared everything that will happen (Isaiah 46:10).

But in fact men still choose to do what they want to do. Its just that God has foreordained all these choices. So either poll choice is valid IMHO - they can be saying the same thing, but from different perspective (man's vs God's). But I voted for the first choice.

But man cannot go against what God knows.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:37 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,374,384 times
Beats the hell out of me. How does anyone know that in the translation of "God's word", that some lark didn't set everything to mean the OPPOSITE of what was conveyed?

So in this case, what was really said was, "God is NOT sovereign."

Old 02-13-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Flaminghedge, I think your poll may be ambiguous if you think about it.

God is indeed sovereign, so that no man can choose to do anything different than God already knows what will happen. In fact God has declared everything that will happen (Isaiah 46:10).

But in fact men still choose to do what they want to do. Its just that God has foreordained all these choices. So either poll choice is valid IMHO - they can be saying the same thing, but from different perspective (man's vs God's). But I voted for the first choice.

But man cannot go against what God knows.
Is it still ambiguous? I tried to correct it so that wouldn't happen, as I understand everything the way you stated as well. Hopefully it is understood what I meant, that man chooses the future and not God for the second choice.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:33 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Sovereignty, specifically - God's control over all events.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:21 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,756,833 times
The scriptures say specifically that the steps of men are ordered of the lord ...

Psa 37:23
From Jehovah are the steps of a man, They have been prepared, And his way he desireth.

Pro 16:9
A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps

Jer 10:23
O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

And God created the wicked for the day of evil ...

Pro 16:4
The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

I know most people hate the truth of these things, because they want to believe they are in control of their own destinies, but that is simply not what the scriptures tell us ... God is in control, of everyone and everything. For better or worse ... I believe for the better ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity