Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:45 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,774,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
That's old Church not new. Like I said, talk to a priest. It may be easier than you think. Anulments are more possible today; I should know - I married a divorced man who got an anullment from his first wife.
True, he can get a Annulment, possibly, but unless he does, no he cannot take communion, not even if he goes to confession first.

From the Catechism #1650
1650 [SIZE=2]Today there are numerous Catholics in many countries who have recourse to civil divorce and contract new civil unions. In fidelity to the words of Jesus Christ—"Whoever divorces his wife and marries another, commits adultery against her; and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery"160—the Church maintains that a new union cannot be recognized as valid, if the first marriage was. If the divorced are remarried civilly, they find themselves in a situation that objectively contravenes God's law. Consequently, they cannot receive Eucharistic communion as long as this situation persistsmy [my bold]. For the same reason, they cannot exercise certain ecclesial responsibilities. Reconciliation through the sacrament of Penance can be granted only to those who have repented for having violated the sign of the covenant and of fidelity to Christ, and who are committed to living in complete continence.[/SIZE]
http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/...rt7.shtml#1650

Last edited by DNick; 02-23-2010 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: added a source
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 09:02 AM

354 posts, read 749,343 times
oh wow. i thought that divorce is ok with catholic church... so that is why there is no divorce in my country... just an annulment. Philippines is largely catholic. u know when i was still a practicing catholic, i deny myself communion just coz i don't do the 3rd commandment regularly. and it is not even that i attend mass sporadically i just missed it once. but i dont receive communion coz of that. but NOW when i go to mass by chance, AFTER a looooooong time not going... i just go ahead and receive communion. i have my own way practicing my faith now. i just figured... God will understand... especially i thought... why will i deprive myself of the holy communion AFTER all the scandal reported about the priests.... WHO officiate the mass AND you confess your sins to AND not ONLY drink the blood of Christ but also eat the body of Christ during mass.... all the while behind your back is doing MORE criminal things than you. at least u got divorced. i just see my not going to Church as between me and God and I want to receive Holy communion to unite with Him again whenever i go to mass irregularly.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:19 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
True, he can get a Annulment, possibly, but unless he does, no he cannot take communion, not even if he goes to confession first.

From the Catechism #1650
1650 [SIZE=2]Today there are numerous Catholics in many countries who have recourse to civil divorce and contract new civil unions. In fidelity to the words of Jesus Christ—"Whoever divorces his wife and marries another, commits adultery against her; and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery"160—the Church maintains that a new union cannot be recognized as valid, if the first marriage was. If the divorced are remarried civilly, they find themselves in a situation that objectively contravenes God's law. Consequently, they cannot receive Eucharistic communion as long as this situation persistsmy [my bold]. For the same reason, they cannot exercise certain ecclesial responsibilities. Reconciliation through the sacrament of Penance can be granted only to those who have repented for having violated the sign of the covenant and of fidelity to Christ, and who are committed to living in complete continence.[/SIZE]
USCCB - Catechism of the Catholic Church

He needs to talk to a priest; you might be surprised how flexible the Church has become and how many decisions are made on a case by case determination these days.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 PM

593 posts, read 889,763 times
Default Roman Catholic Rules can I receive Communion?

After my mothers divorce she was told she could not receive communion and for years suffered from the pathetic manmade pagan rules of Catholicism. Communion is an important part of a christian walk ,but it is to be done in REMEMBERENCE of Him (Jesus) taking of the body and blood. Catholicism has historically magnified events,great people and symbols into an insane manufacturing of visions,deities,divinities,sainthood
and pagan adoration. It is a good quasi-christian pagan based albeit truth based RELIGION and one that needs serious scriptural based help before
it destroys itself with it's paganism,religiousity and ridiculous distracting ceremonies. It's like dealing with the mentally ill or preculiar human behavior. Read scripture don't adore the bible in a procession!!!! for the people caught in this well intended weird beuracracy as well as the great but misled clergy. Catholics do wonderful works worldwide a separte issue not having anything to do with doctrine.

Last edited by DASULAR17; 02-23-2010 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: format

Old 02-23-2010, 12:52 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,098 times
I don't see why u can't receive Communion at Mass. I have never been Roman Catholic and every time I have gone to Mass, I have taken Communion.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:37 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,332,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I don't see why u can't receive Communion at Mass. I have never been Roman Catholic and every time I have gone to Mass, I have taken Communion.
I've never personally seen anyone denied the Eucharist.

Only the participant knows for sure, if they are "in Communion" with the Church or not.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times
As a non-Catholic, may I ask a respectful (but possibly provocative) question? Let's say the Church "officially" forbids jfk from receiving communion, and he decides to go ahead and receive it anyway... Would it have any "validity" (if that's the right word) for him if he knowingly received it when he was "unworthy" to do so? If it wouldn't, and if he and his father (the old man he'd be trying to make happy) both knew had no validity and was received under false pretenses, how could it possibly make either of them happy to just go through meaningless motions? Since I come from a religious background where marriage following a divorce is not considered sinful, it's kind of a non-issue to me, but integrity would most certainly be an issue for me.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:46 AM

354 posts, read 749,343 times
your scenario won't happen since you have to be excommunicated if the church "officially" forbids u from receiving communion. usually it is the catholic that knows if he/she is worthy to receive the communion. and from what i remember, you are unworthy to receive communion if u disobey at least one of the 10 commandments. for some reason, immediately after i have my confession, i always miss to go to mass once. when i was a devout catholic, i would deny myself communion coz i disobeyed the 3rd commandment. the easy fix is for u to confess. and then the priest scandal happen, and then i am too lazy to go to mass, and so many other things that goes with my mind and my faith. i stopped going to mass. but if i go to mass by chance. i don't deny myself communion anymore. if these priests that were involved in a scandal can stomach to officiate a mass and receive communion, why not me? whose ONLY reason to not receive communion is not going to mass regularly?

i did not even consider going to diff religion. my religion confuse me enough. why confuse myself more to other religion's belief and practices. ultimately, i decided my faith is between me and God. so i will practice my faith in my own understanding. i used to fast and abstain during holy week, i don't anymore.... i guess i was influenced by my room mate whose religion believe that doing it is obsolete since Jesus already do the suffering for us. my reason is coz well i already fast and abstain everyday not coz i want to, but coz i have not enough food money. oh well. ultimately, i am comfortable with my faith just not some of the practices.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:08 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,332,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
As a non-Catholic, may I ask a respectful (but possibly provocative) question? Let's say the Church "officially" forbids jfk from receiving communion, and he decides to go ahead and receive it anyway... Would it have any "validity" (if that's the right word) for him if he knowingly received it when he was "unworthy" to do so? If it wouldn't, and if he and his father (the old man he'd be trying to make happy) both knew had no validity and was received under false pretenses, how could it possibly make either of them happy to just go through meaningless motions? Since I come from a religious background where marriage following a divorce is not considered sinful, it's kind of a non-issue to me, but integrity would most certainly be an issue for me.
This is an excellent question, and goes to the heart of the issue.

This raises many questions revolving around what we Catholics believe concerning the authority of the magesterium, apostolic succession,sacramentalism, and what these have to do with our salvation.

I suspect you will get a wide variety of answers, from a wide variety of Catholics.

I for one, don't wish to tackle it.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:49 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,631,997 times
Some Catholics just want to do whatever they FEEL is right. Some Catholics want to do things according to their own OPINION instead of doing what the Holy Church teaches them is true. This is true for rules of communion or any other tough or challenging tenet of the faith. This video is for Ted and Catholics like him:

YouTube - Practical Schism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity