Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 06:11 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,907 times

Advertisements

Many will say to me in that day,,,Lord, Lord, but He will say depart from me. I NEVER KNEW YOU, you workers of iniquity.

I know this isnt an exact quote, but it is the jist of it.

How does Jesus KNOW you? Not that you know Him, because everyone says they know Jesus.

But how does one be sure, that He KNOWS you?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 06:32 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
John 17:3 Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

I know that maybe doesn't answer your question directly, but I thought it was relevant. Also:

1 John 2:4
The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: 6Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

1 John 3:18 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 19This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence 20whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.

1 John 4:7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

Is it safe to say, if we know God, then God knows us?

For me, based on these verses, it all comes back to God's commands to LOVE. Love God and love one another (even our enemies). This is talking about LOVE as an action. He who does not love does not know God, and presumably, God would not "know" them, in that sense.

It truly is all about LOVE (See 1 Cor 13 for what we must do to LOVE).

Old 02-20-2010, 06:38 PM

Also, just wanted to say this is an excellent topic HotinAZ. That verse always scared the !!!! out of me, because apparently a lot of people who think they are following Jesus will be in for a surprise one day. How can we know if we are deceived or not?

It doesn't worry me so much anymore, in recent years I have learned to trust in God's love - He is good and He is in control, so He will work it out.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:03 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
John 17:3 Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

I know that maybe doesn't answer your question directly, but I thought it was relevant. Also:

1 John 2:4 The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: 6Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

1 John 3:18 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 19This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence 20whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.

1 John 4:7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

For me, based on these verses, it all comes back to God's commands to LOVE. Love God and love one another (even our enemies). This is talking about LOVE as an action. He who does not love does not know God, and presumably, God would not "know" them, in that sense.

I would agree with you on this premise legoman. But love is not the only answer, for without God's Love personally indwelled in us, how does one know they are walking in this?

I mean, we see things all the time that are bad. Actually, just downright evil. Some people claim to do these things out of love. We sit back and see it this way, through our lens, but they actually believe it.

Jesus set the standard, and you agree with this. But His standard was made complete as He was with One with the Father. This is what He says He will give those who follow Him. Which brings me to another point.

How does one really follow Him? Must they lay their lives down, forsaking all they know, including their families, because the written Word said this? Those who have understood what He truly meant by these statements know that isn't what He was talking about.

Following Him, to me, means staying in His presense. Genesis 4:6-7. Our thoughts become His thoughts. Our actions mirror His actions. Our speech mirrors His speech. Abel had this, Cain did not. The result is the famous first murder.

So, back to the topic. How does Jesus KNOW us. God cannot make His presense known to us, personally, because Jesus is the mediator between God the Father and man.

Jesus prayed that we would know them. I pray that we all come to know Him, and be KNOWN by Him.

I just find that verse about the only one in the entire NT that scares the hell out of me, too. To be not known. I mean we all say we love Him. We all say we worship God. We all say we honor Him and give Him thanks. But as you have pointed out,,,the fruit of the actions is where it is at. If out of love, then the fruits of love will be manifest. If out of greed, covetness, anger, pride, then the fruits of that will be manifested.

I feel that there must be more to the parables, than we read about, or think we know about. This will be my next venture I feel. Perhaps the Spirit will unlock these mysteries to me, or perhaps to one of you all, and I will share in this. Perfect communion, breaking Bread.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
I would agree with you on this premise legoman. But love is not the only answer, for without God's Love personally indwelled in us, how does one know they are walking in this?
I think LOVE is the answer, but you are right, how do we know we are walking in this? 1 Cor 13 gives us the guide - are we always patient, always protecting, not delighting in evil, always selfless, etc?

And I look at myself and sadly say NO. I think this should just drive us towards God even more. Without God we cannot achieve this LOVE, nor walk in it. We should cry out to God "please work in me LORD, I cannot do it myself..."

Quote:
I mean, we see things all the time that are bad. Actually, just downright evil. Some people claim to do these things out of love. We sit back and see it this way, through our lens, but they actually believe it.
Yes, certainly there is evil. Calling evil things good or "loving" does not make it so, though, even if one is deceived to believe it.

This whole deception thing is really tough to swallow. Scripture says the WHOLE WORLD is deceived. Clearly many people are deceived in the world. You and I maybe (probably are) deceived as well (at least on some things)... but HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT TO DO THEN? The answer is we can't. We can only trust that God is good and He will take care of us, and He will do what is necessary to bring us into His light. It is God who will (and must) work in us, if we are to overcome.

Quote:
How does one really follow Him? Must they lay their lives down, forsaking all they know, including their families, because the written Word said this? Those who have understood what He truly meant by these statements know that isn't what He was talking about.

Following Him, to me, means staying in His presense. Genesis 4:6-7. Our thoughts become His thoughts. Our actions mirror His actions. Our speech mirrors His speech. Abel had this, Cain did not. The result is the famous first murder.
Again I believe its as simple as LOVE. Love God and your neighbor.

When you boil it all down, you have to realize you are just a puny human who is in this world like a feather on the wind - we don't know where we will be tomorrow, or what we will be doing.

We have to trust God. REALLY TRUST GOD, that He is good, that He is loving, that He is just, that He will take care of us. Our faith must be in God - because God is the one in control.

Keep studying and praying Hotin. I will too. Peace out...

Old 02-20-2010, 08:23 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,903,261 times
Quote:
I think so.
  • Galatians 4:7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ. 8 Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods. 9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
Quote:

Amen

Old 02-20-2010, 08:50 PM

136 posts, read 203,689 times
Matthew 7:12
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
The answer is love, treat others as you would want them to treat you.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:01 AM

823 posts, read 1,401,897 times
How do you really get to know any one? By spending quality time with them.

I believe that some Christians just read the Word and that's it - they read it and try to live like good people should but there is something missing - they are not seeking a true relationship with God. They read the word, try and absorb its meaning, make an effort to follow the commandments as best as they can and that is it.

Some people read the word, make an effort to follow the commandments and equally set time in their life in deeper prayer and seeking a connection to God....

When I take the time to pray regularly, whether it be driving in my car or in a deeper and quieter prayer, I can feel my connection to him. It is a different feeling that I have than when I just read the Word. For me when I am in deep prayer, I get the goosebumps. I am receiving the spirit of God's Love. Every time I ask for this I receive it. The more I receive it I feel a closer relationship to him. This to me is how God and Jesus know me.

I have many friends. Some of these friends I have known since I was a young child. They know many things about me but sometimes with certain friends I can feel a bit of a wall between us. We talk of clothes, books, our families, movies, have some good laughs together, etc. but we do not talk on a deeper level - these friends do not really know me like other friends who I can talk to on a spiritual level. You could ask them "Do you know Sisterkat?" and they would say yes that they do. But they do not truly know the most important things about me.

When we seek God in prayer and ask for his spirit and his Love. This is how we truly get to know him. It is simple. This is how I see and feel it. It is important to read Jesus' message and try our best to understand it but it is equally important to seek him in earnest prayer.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:34 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Many will say to me in that day,,,Lord, Lord, but He will say depart from me. I NEVER KNEW YOU, you workers of iniquity.

I know this isnt an exact quote, but it is the jist of it.

How does Jesus KNOW you? Not that you know Him, because everyone says they know Jesus.

But how does one be sure, that He KNOWS you?
Rom 8:29 because whom He did foreknow, He also did fore-appoint, conformed to the image of His Son, that he might be first-born among many brethren;
Rom 8:30 and whom He did fore-appoint, these also He did call; and whom He did call, these also He declared righteous; and whom He declared righteous, these also He did glorify.
Rom 8:31 What, then, shall we say unto these things? if God is for us, who is against us?

Notice the Red...This is talking about God and whom He foreknew...We know that Christ is God in the flesh...So, what does this tell you?...

Old 02-21-2010, 03:44 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
I think LOVE is the answer,
Then you mean The Beatles were right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity