Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:13 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,536 times

Advertisements

[quote=Katzpur;13012157]Prove it. If you can, I will join the Catholic Church. quote]

That the Catholic Church is the first and original Christian faith is not theory but historical fact. It is proven again and again, in secular classes and in non-religious historical works. Read a history book, attend a college class in history, research.

The fact is there and is indisputable. There were no other CHristian denominations until the time of the Reformation.....centuries later.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:17 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,019 times
Actually, Jesus never had a church nor did He ever start a church. Anything that is founded was after His death and by the apostles. They are the ones, if they did, who made the claim it was Jesus' church or religion. Jesus never had a church or a religion that He started. He was here to do a job and He completed it. Now it's up to us if we want to hear or if we want to remain blind to His true teachings. Love God and each other. That would have been what His church was based on if He had started a church. Seems to me too many people are worrying about who's going to hell and not enough worrying about their own souls and it's condition.
In my opinion, if you want to join Jesus' church, get out in the world and promote Love, Truth, Beauty and Goodness and leave the paperwork at home.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:34 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,566,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
That the Catholic Church is the first and original Christian faith is not theory but historical fact.
A while back, I checked out eleven encyclopedias. In every case, they indicated that the RCC is based on a claim that Peter was the Vicar of Christ, not that he was the Vicar of Christ.

So convince historians.

Roman Catholicism is for those who have no taste for the view that one is justified by the righteousness of Christ, and instead believe that one never reaches justification because one forever stands in need of a priest dispensing grace at seven-day intervals.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:45 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,536 times
It is far more than a claim.

I have a university degree in history. Even my atheist professers taught that the Catholic CHurch was the original and only CHristian denomation.

Historians - including myself - know this for fact.

I have never understood why so many Protestants cannot grasp this simple reality. Until the Reformation began, there were no other CHristian denominations. It is verifiable in any historical context, anywhere.

Without Roman Catholicism, there would be no Christianity. It was the Church of Rome, the church that the Apostle Peter founded on Jesus' words "Upon this rock you shall build my church", Christianity would have been just one more sect that came and died and vanished. The Catholic Church kept it alive for centuries so that people like Martin Luther and Henry VIII could dissent. Of course, old Henry did it so he could have his multiple wives but that is another story entirely.

Priests don't dispense grace at seven day intervals either. What a ridiculous notion - sounds like it came straight out of a Chic tract!!!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:09 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,271,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post

This is not to start a fight.

All are welcome.

Good morning, folks:

~Just an "FYI" here:

When argumentative, insulting, attacking, and/or otherwise rude and off topic posts ensue, threads go south.

When threads go south, threads get:

CLOSED.

As this one now is.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity