Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:54 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The spirit, according to my belief, definitely does have a consciousness. I believe it's eternal, that it existed before it entered the physical body (resulting in "a living soul"), that it exists outside of the body after death, and that it will again reside within the newly perfected physical body after the resurrection. I think it's exactly the same whether it's in a mortal body, an immortal, resurrected body or not in a body at all. I probably said most of this in my other post, but I did leave out the most important component, that being the fact that it is a fully congnizent entity, regardless of the state it's in. It is, as you more or less pointed out, the breath of life.
Agreed - although presently our consciousness generally seems more ego/soul driven than pneuma driven. Yet we do have this treasure in earthen vessels. I guess all I'm really saying is that pure unadulterated spirit consciousness is so different from what we're accustomed too in a soulish state that I'm not even sure it can even be described as the same thing.

Make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 03:53 PM

186 posts, read 190,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Soul is the "embryo" form of the Spirit in a "human womb" (body and brain) that will be "reborn" at our death.
The Science of Yoga states that it (SpiritBreath) can be awakened, before the death of the brain-body organism.
During physical life the awakening of the Spirit is known as an "Awakening".

In Greek, the process is known as "Metanoia". It is also known as being a twice-born, for those who have accomplished it, and to varying degrees, many have, depending on one's capacity.
Elsewhere Metempsychosis, among others.

My two-sense.
Drifter

Old 02-24-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Agreed - although presently our consciousness generally seems more ego/soul driven than pneuma driven. Yet we do have this treasure in earthen vessels. I guess all I'm really saying is that pure unadulterated spirit consciousness is so different from what we're accustomed too in a soulish state that I'm not even sure it can even be described as the same thing.

Make sense?
Some religious text say there are four 'subtle bodies', besides the physical one. One as the one of Jesus which Mary saw and at first didn't recognise before Jesus had totally ascended, and others at other times in the book. All ascending but at various degrees of sublety, finer and finer, in said ascencion. I agree, they are not of the same purity. Like pasteurization, spiritual progress is a process of detachment for most. Losing all worldly attachment. Of course this pertain most strictly to the thinking mechanism or psyche, when the psyche is in attunement/alighnment, everything 'else' will accord of its self, naturally. Therefore, the Battle is within, as happiness is.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:12 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,456,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena123 View Post
What is the difference between the spirit and the soul?
Spirit is the created force that drives the created kind to "be", inherently, itself. The Adam kind was formed bodily from the dust, by the created spirit called into being "beating out the house" of flesh from the dust, for the created Adam soul to inhabit as its house.
All Adam is one single created kind, and all Adam has its own share/remnant of the Adam spirit, which drove the first Adam flesh to be beat out from the dust for the Adam soul to indwell. The Word says that the female and the male Adam were one, with a remnant of the spirit, shared by the female in the beginning of creation, so that they could multiply the created Adam seed, which Adam seed, multiplied would have been living human being sons of God, for YHWH in His Glory to indwell.
so the spirit of the kind is the driving force that obeys the Creator and forms the house of flesh for the soul to indwell, at germination of the seed.
The soul is sometimes called the spirit and the spirit is cometimes called the soul, but the two are not one and the same, and they can be divided, as Scripture states. At death of the flesh, the spirit returns to God who gave it, and that spirit is not the personality/soul of the individual, but the force which obeys the Creator and drives the kind to "be".

The soul is what we are, individually, and we are Adam in our spirit/kind, and we dwell in a house of flesh, which is made/beat out [in Scripture language] for us by that Adam spirit, at germination of the seed, which germination itself, is accomplished by the spirit of the kind causing the nature of the kind to be and do what it was created to do, in its nature.

You are a soul and you have a body to dwell in, which body is totally of the created spirit of your created kind, beat out for you by that same remnant of the spirit which you share with all Adam kind.
We are all one spirit, and individual souls with our own bodies to dwell in, and we all share a remnant of the one Adam spirit, which was divided to us in a share of the Adam seed, which seed was created in the loins of the first Adam male, and passed down by the spirit of the Adam kind through the male Adam persons.
BTW, circumcision was given to Abraham as an oracle to rehearse of the 8th day of creation, the new beginning, when all the seed of Adam will be cut off from multiplying forever, and the Adam spirit will cease forever, from multiplying.

You are one in spirit with all Adam. You are a soul, and the remnant of the Adam spirit which you share built you a body to dwell in, in the womb, and you are inherently Adam by that Adam share of the spirit.
What Adam is, you are, because of that one single Adam kind spirit; and you are a single, individual Adam person, a soul, which is to say, a seed of Adam come to fruit.

Malachi 2:15

Last edited by yeshuasavedme; 02-24-2010 at 06:50 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 06:24 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
Spirit is the created force that drives the created kind to "be", inherently, itself. The Adam kind was formed bodily from the dust, by the created spirit called into being "beating out the house" of flesh from the dust, for the created Adam soul to inhabit as its house.
All Adam is one single created kind, and all Adam has its own share/remnant of the Adam spirit, which drove the first Adam flesh to be beat out from the dust for the Adam soul to indwell. The Word says that the female and the male Adam were one, with a remnant of the spirit, shared by the female in the beginning of creation, so that they could multiply the created Adam seed, which Adam seed, multiplied would have been living human being sons of God, for YHWH in His Glory to indwell.
so the spirit of the kind is the driving force that obeys the Creator and forms the house of flesh for the soul to indwell, at germination of the seed.
The soul is sometimes called the spirit and the spirit is cometimes called the soul, but the two are not one and the same, and they can be divided, as Scripture states. At death of the flesh, the spirit returns to God who gave it, and that spirit is not the personality/soul of the individual, but the force which obeys the Creator and drives the kind to "be".

The soul is what we are, individually, and we are Adam in our spirit/kind, and we dwell in a house of flesh, which is made/beat out [in Scripture language] for us by that Adam spirit, at germination of the seed, which germination itself, is accomplished by the spirit of the kind causing the nature of the kind to be and do what it was created to do, in its nature.

You are a soul and you have a body to dwell in, which body is totally of the created spirit of your created kind, beat out for you by that same remnant of the spirit which you share with all Adam kind.
We are all one spirit, and individual souls with our own bodies to dwell in, and we all share a remnant of the one Adam spirit, which was divided to us in a share of the Adam seed, which seed was created in the loins of the first Adam male, and passed down by the spirit of the Adam kind through the male Adam persons.
BTW, circumcision was given to Abraham as an oracle to rehearse of the 8th day of creation, the new beginning, when all the seed of Adam will be cut off from multiplying forever, and the Adam spirit will cease forever from multiplying.

You are one in spirit with all Adam. You are a soul, and the remnant of the Adam spirit which you share built you a body to dwell in, in the womb, and you are inherently Adam by that Adam share of the spirit.
What Adam is, you are, because of that one single Adam kind spirit; and you are a single, individual Adam person, a soul, which is to say, a seed of Adam come to fruit.
Does this explain why I feel all beat up all the time?????

Old 02-24-2010, 06:58 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,456,566 times
Quote:
Nope.
Did you ever watch a speeded up video of a flower or vegetable growing out of a seed, or of a fertilized human egg multiplying itself by "jumps" as the zygote [I think one says] is formed? That is the spirit of the kind in action, "beating out" the "house" for the new plant seed come to fruit in its kind, to dwell in.

And the inherent spirit of the kind is the force that causes the kind to go on multiplying itself, by its seed within itself.

Here's a time lapse video of individual germinated seedlings driven by the force/spirit of the kind to fulfill the command of the Creator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpC3uhHjJ4A

Last edited by yeshuasavedme; 02-24-2010 at 07:16 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 05:09 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Did anyone even address that the bible states that Adam became a living soul? Body + spirit (breath) is a living soul..

The soul that is spoken of here was defined by secular society philosophers such as Plato and Socrates.. The biblical soul is simply a living person... not really that hard to understand.

Now if you think the soul is the "essence" of the person then you are not following the biblical definition of soul but rather the adaptation of the word by ancient and primitive philosophers who also believed the sun revolved around the earth.. Their surmising was often egocentric.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:33 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Drifter View Post
The Science of Yoga states that it (SpiritBreath) can be awakened, before the death of the brain-body organism.
During physical life the awakening of the Spirit is known as an "Awakening".

In Greek, the process is known as "Metanoia". It is also known as being a twice-born, for those who have accomplished it, and to varying degrees, many have, depending on one's capacity.
Elsewhere Metempsychosis, among others.

My two-sense.
Drifter
Like our physical embryo . . . our spiritual embryo undergoes a "quickening" that those who actually experience it . . . liken it to being "born again" while still in this body. The actual rebirth does NOT occur until the death of this mortal body.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Ego is responsible for that "beat-up" feeling. Ego controls us by our emotions to do its bidding, the conflict results in psychological stress, our conscience becomes restless and uneasy. Vessel, Half-empty, Half-full.
A little-bad in the best of us, a little good in the worst of us.

A saint in every sinner, a sinner in every saint.
We are our own savior or our own destroyer.
It depends on the wolf we feed.

Old Cherokee Proverb "Two Wolves." http://whatasavage.com/2006/02/17/cherokee-proverb/

Old 02-27-2010, 08:07 AM

Exam Review Items
[SIZE=3]Terms: myth, parable, canon, scripture, theology, tradition[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]● 4 functions of Sacred Stories: connect with sacred, order cosmos, traditio, and ethical[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Reading/Reflection Questions
  • [SIZE=3]What is the difference between an empirical truth and an ultimate truth?[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Give an example of myth that has a powerful influence upon all of the students in this classroom.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]What is an example of mythic element in the story of Buddha? (Elephant impregnates Buddha’s mother.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]In light of the lecture materials, explain why persons committed to religious myths would endorse the following: “Never let what actually happened get in the way of the truth.” What kind of truth is “what actually happened” and what kind of truth is the meaning and purpose of our existence?[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]What is the relationship between myth and cosmology? Can you have one without the other?[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]What is an example of a parable from Thich Nhat Hahn?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reading and Lecture
[SIZE=3]Religious language is most often poetic in the sense that, like poetry, it seeks to use ordinary words to convey extraordinary meanings.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Religious Myth: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]A story that sets up a world by describing ultimate reality and its relationship to humanity. Myths seek to explain the ultimate meaning of the universe (cosmos) and our existence, its ultimate origins, destiny, order (or disorder) and relationships. Purpose = revelation of the nature of the sacred, the universe, and human nature. In short, “How does reality makes sense in light of the sacred?” [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Myths seek to narrate or reveal a transcendent reality and its relation to ordinary reality. Mythic time transcends ordinary time. Mythic events transcend “empirically observable” events.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]They do not seek to record simply what happened in ordinary reality. They do not aim at empirical or scientific truth (that can be tested via experiments). [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Rather myths represent the collective experience and wisdom of a community over time concerning the deepest meaning of reality and the ultimate frame of reference for understanding it expressed in the most powerful and fundamental forms of human language—stories conveyed via imaginative, poetic language (exaggeration = frequent vehicle because ordinary language inadequate). A myth is like a pair of glasses or framework through which people “image” or see the world.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] For one who believes that there is no ultimate meaning to our world, no transcendent reality, or that there is only our immediate experience as known empirically, myth are false or do not exist.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Examples of contemporary myths: Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, Star Wars, Western Movies, Rags to Riches stories, Joe Millionaire (or the one for Mary Millionaire), Extreme Makeover, Desperate Housewives, Car commercials—if you drive this car you will have friends, lovers, wealth, etc. . . .[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Parable:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]A story that upsets an existing world or turns it upside down; makes a point by violating our expectations and calling into questions our assumptions. It seeks to shock the hearer into seeing ordinary things in a new way, i.e., in light of the sacred reality which is totally “other” than the ordinary and customary. A parable seeks to move people into a deeper engagement with sacred reality. Sacred figures often perform “parabolic actions” or actions that upset the way things are and open our eyes to a new reality.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Examples of Parables/Parabolic Actions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Zen koan: “What is the sound of one hand clapping?”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]2.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]CK, p. 65: A seeker to the Buddha “Are you a god or a magician?”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Buddha: “I am not a god or a magician. I am awake.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Awake seems ordinary but it is not. Greatness can’t lie in it.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]3.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Jesus seeks to open people’s eyes to the kingdom of God when he reads from Isaiah 61:1-2 in Luke “The Spirit of the Lord Yahweh is upon me, for he has anointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, and to proclaim a year of favor from Yahweh [a jubilee year]” . . . and a day of vengeance for our God . . Luke 4:18-19[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]4.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Good Samaritan = like the good Al Qaeda terrorist. Our social status does not determine our holiness; but our compassion—even a compassion that violates social customs re: ritual purity. That is what God wants. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]5.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Matthew 25: Whenever you did it to the least of my brothers and sisters you did it to me—Christ is encountered in the needy. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]6.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Prodigal Son or Workers in the Vineyard—those who worked a little get paid the same as those who worked a lot; or Unforgiving debtor. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Canon:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]A measuring reed or stick, ruler, standard; list of authoritative texts/scriptures in a tradition[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Scriptures:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Literally “writings” (scripture—“that which is written”), writings considered sacred and authoritative in a particular community.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Example: The “sutra” (or Pali “sutta”), i.e., a short exposition on a particular teaching of the Buddha, is the basic form of the scriptures in Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism (Ex. Chapter 2 of Thich Nhat Hahn is his interpretation of and reflection on the “Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra.”)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Theology:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Understanding of/reflection on God/sacred/faith; [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]“faith seeking understanding”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Systematic explanation of the meaning of sacred stories and their conceptual relations as well as translation of this meaning in contemporary language. Transform story into doctrine that speaks to today’s world.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]● 4 functions of Sacred Stories (including scriptures): [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Connect us to the sacred: reveal the sacred and provide a vehicle for (or mediate) encounter with the sacred through the imaginative experience and ritual re-enacting of the story; reveal a path to the sacred (ex. Buddha’s journey to enlightenment); provide insight/wisdom re: ultimate truth. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Order the cosmos: give an account of the nature, purpose, order, and destiny of the universe, explain how things are related, where things belong, what they mean, how it all fits together ultimately; relate the transcendent reality to the ordinary reality. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Traditio: “hand over” a way of life, worldview, set of practices, values, and stories that constitute a community over time from one generation to the next. Remember truth handed on from the past and bring it to life in the present by helping people to apply it and live it out today. Continue a way of life and teach it to the next generation. Tradition—an extended conversation about the meaning of life of a community over time.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Convey an Ethic: present patterns, models (saints, prophets), and standards of behavior for living in harmony with the sacred order. Ex. Sunna = the beaten path of the prophet Mohammed.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

In summation.
If one wants to 'Awaken To The Christ within', "Let Your Conscience be your Guide". Conscience collectively retains all the heavenly virtues and all the spiritual priciples inherent in Spirit as our, ever trustworthy parental spirit, and wants what's best for us, not our ego's, on all the levels of our existence.

The 'problems' arise, when we're having to much fun being bad, to be good.

'Conscience', holds us accountable and shapes and gives form to our destiny's. Self-centeredness and selfism, "Egotism", is contrary to Spirit and spirituality in all 'persona' (perception/appearance in time and space). "One who would follow me, will pick up His/Her cross (crucible/crucifier) and bear it daily." Sometimes a moment-to-moment battle, never allowing Ego to win.

May His will be done and not my own.

Namaste`(Om Namah Shivaya)
Drifter

Last edited by Ocean Drifter; 02-27-2010 at 08:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity