Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 12:17 PM

768 posts, read 1,089,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
No emotion, then.

Your point?

Maybe you should read my post again and do so with an open mind if you can.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I had never considered that. That would truly be a heavy burden and I can see how a person would simply have to "close off." That was an excellent point.
Thank you

Old 02-27-2010, 12:18 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,339,689 times
Quote:
In other words the same crime committed against a commoner and landlord would not be punished equally. The punishment was more severe when the crime was against the landlord because of his higher social status. Anselm took this ideology to its logical conclusion by postulating that since God is infinite, an offense against him must carry infinite punishment.
ironically, such practice is contrary to the Torah, and such unbiblical practice is used as argument to support a pseudoscriptural doctrine

Old 02-27-2010, 12:19 PM

11,909 posts, read 3,739,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiJay View Post
I was raised with different beliefs than I now have.

Back then, the fear of eternal torment kept me in line alright; but in my heart I could not make myself love or even obey/worship a God who would hold eternal torment over my head to make me do what He wanted. Nope, that is not a God that I would worship- that is a sadist dictator.

The Bible taught me that Jehovah God would never even think of doing anything like that to His worshipers. The fear of Jehovah God is a reverential awe and nothing like the morbid fear of a sadistic ruler who uses mental and emotional fear to control and hold eternal torment over their heads.
That's just sick... and NOT what and who HE is.

"You will know the truth and the truth will set you free." John 8:32- one of the things the truth sets you free from, is misconceptions like eternal torment. What a relief it is too.
I had some similar thoughts growing - I could not reconcile the love with the eternal torment --- there was a contradiction which led me to reject christianity, while retaining my belief in God.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:30 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,710,956 times
Quote:
I think that most of the people who believe in eternal torment are 100% convinced that they're not going to ever experience it. There is no mental anguish for them because it's something that's going to happen to someone else -- someone who "really deserves it." My problem with these folks is that the number of people they see as "really deserving it" is astronomical. If they thought for one minute that they were going to be among those who were going to be God's eternal firewood, they'd be emotional wrecks for sure.
Good grief..... such false guilt, guilt games people play. Their own guilt they try to pass off on other's. "But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man." (Matt.15:18)

It really seems some just can not believe God and accept the fact that God really gives His people a peace, especially about the things one can not contol.....

John 14:24-27
24. "He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father's who sent Me.
25. "These things I have spoken to you while abiding with you.
26. "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.
27. "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.

........... instead of doubting and trusting the Father completely about it in their hearts!! He takes away all fear .....

1John 4:17-18
17. By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world.
18. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.

Not.... like some who find a false gospel and then take it, the word of God out of context to justify their fear's and sin of unbelief to deal with it !!!

When the Lord tells us..... about those who take and add to the word of God !!!

Rev. 22:10-21
10. And he said to me, "Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near.
11. "Let the one who does wrong, still do wrong; and the one who is filthy, still be filthy; and let the one who is righteous, still practice righteousness; and the one who is holy, still keep himself holy."
12. "Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done.
13. "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."
14. Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city.
15. Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying.
16. "I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star."
17. The Spirit and the bride say, "Come " And let the one who hears say, "Come " And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.
18. I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book;
19. and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.
20. He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming quickly " Amen Come, Lord Jesus.
21. The grace of the Lord Jesus be with [c]all. Amen.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
ironically, such practice is contrary to the Torah, and such unbiblical practice is used as argument to support a pseudoscriptural doctrine
I did not know that. I wouldn't be surprised it that isn't the only instance of that happening. In fact one could argue that there are many pseudo scriptural doctrines. Fact is too much biblical exegesis is more emotionally driven that through careful and critical scholarship. And sometimes the very ones who decry that people use emotions to interpret scripture are in fact the worst offenders. Usually evidence a dark psychosis comes to the fore.

Thank you for your insights.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:57 PM

667 posts, read 941,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
but then have you thought with this kind of fear how meaningful the love for God really is?
IMHO at first we should read the clearly statement of Holy Bible about torments in afterlife.

The Truth About Hell

Old 02-27-2010, 04:40 PM

370 posts, read 453,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
IMHO at first we should read the clearly statement of Holy Bible about torments in afterlife.

The Truth About Hell
That site is worthless. I nearly ed my head off at the ridiculous amount of inconsistencies and misquotes.

And since no one answered this before:

What do you all think of this verse?

For we will surely die and become like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be gathered up again. Yet God does not take away a life; but He devises means, so that His banished ones are not expelled from Him.

............. .................... .................. .............
Wait, what is it saying? OH! I get it! Then there isn't a hell!

Old 02-27-2010, 06:21 PM

33,337 posts, read 26,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiJay View Post
Well that is where we will have to "agree to disagree" shibata- the Bible does not teach that we have a spirit or soul that survives death. That is why your line of thinking didn't make any sense to me...

Have a good day!
To the contrary.

Matthew 10:28 makes it absolutely clear that the soul does survive the death of the body. ''But do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul, but rather fear Him (God) who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Destroy does not mean cessation of existence. It means to result in utter ruin and eternal uselessness in the eternal lake of fire.

Go to this link and look at the word APOLLUMI-perish-destroy. Scroll down near bottom of page.

Romans 2:9-12 Commentary

In Revelation 6:9-11 and 20:4 John sees the souls of the Tribulational martyrs in Heaven.

There's more, but if you won't believe these, chances are you won't believe anything else either.

Last edited by Michael Way; 02-27-2010 at 06:34 PM..

Old 02-27-2010, 06:23 PM

370 posts, read 453,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

GOD
IS
NOT
THE
AUTHOR
OF
CONFUSION.

PERIOD.
Yes! Here's a good passage concerning that:

40 But now you seek to kill Me, a Man who has told you the truth which I heard from God. Abraham did not do this. 41 You do the deeds of your father.”
Then they said to Him, “We were not born of fornication; we have one Father—God.”
42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me. 43 Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word.

His words are not confusing. He is saying exactly what he means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.