Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 AM

378 posts, read 1,290,439 times

Advertisements

I know 2 people who have claimed to been "saved." They were both leading pretty directionless lives, became addicted to alcohol, drugs, or both, then ended up being "saved" at some point. I call it a desperation to find an identity and not feel worthless, and upon questioning these people (and others) I might add, there is no real justification to their believes other than the human weakness of fearing uncertainty.

I'd like to hear your "saved" stories.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-05-2010 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: thread remains open as long as the tos are followed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 10:34 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,843,725 times
Not really it is usually the attacks of non believing "Christians" that actually cause the closures but that is just semantics.

Yes I believe I am saved if not I wouldnt even care enough to respond. Before I hated the very idea of Christianity and the Bible was just a rag of superstition. That all changed when the Lord dragged me to the faith. I went to Church for 3 weeks before I was saved at the request of my wife and I was very defiant to all aspects of Christianity, I actually got in the pastors face and threatened to beat his ***** and he was a little guy and I am in no way considered little. But he stood his ground, showed no fear and said he would pray for me. The third sunday as the pastor was asking people to come down and receive the Lord I ran down bofore he completed his sentence and I was crying like a baby. Big tough guy 6'3" and 280lbs, blackbelt, garbage man and never cried for anything reduced to a little crybaby for the Lord.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:23 PM

97 posts, read 120,750 times
This looks like a thread that has started in attempt to persecute Christians with words. But as believers, we should be willing to be persecuted for Christ's sake. Praise Him!

I am saved. I have always known there was a God, the world around me is far to beautiful to just "happen". When I saw a friend have multipe miracles happen in his life, I was intrigued and begin to read the Bible. I put my faith in Christ last April. Christ gives me a joy and peace that cannot be understood without experiencing Him personally.

If you feel the need, you may critique my grammer, spelling, and sentence structure. I have no problem admitting that you are probably a much better educated than me. I think you may have the wrong impression of Christians. They are no better than anyone else, the only difference is that they believe and know the Lord, and therefore are saved. May God reveal himself to you so you can know the true Joy he brings!

Old 03-04-2010, 12:26 PM

28,118 posts, read 30,036,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
I know 2 people who have claimed to been "saved." They were both leading pretty directionless lives, became addicted to alcohol, drugs, or both, then ended up being "saved" at some point. I call it a desperation to find an identity and not feel worthless, and upon questioning these people (and others) I might add, there is no real justification to their believes other than the human weakness of fearing uncertainty.

I won't be shocked if this thread is closed, because Christian's certainly seem to close their minds whenever their "beliefs" are questioned.
What do you mean by "saved"?

Old 03-04-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Excellent grammar, a ringing endorsement of the educational level of Christians around the world. You threatened to beat a pastor's ass? Not that I am saying making a threat toward a pastor is any worse over someone else, but it speaks a bit about your character before you were saved. All due respect, your story smells of the same desperation (and thus misguided and illogical) need for change that I've seen before.
I wasnt going to point this out but you try recovering from a stroke and be a great grammer pro. So dont judge me by my lack of grammer eticut.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:33 PM

63,942 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Excellent grammar, a ringing endorsement of the educational level of Christians around the world. You threatened to beat a pastor's ass? Not that I am saying making a threat toward a pastor is any worse over someone else, but it speaks a bit about your character before you were saved. All due respect, your story smells of the same desperation (and thus misguided and illogical) need for change that I've seen before.
Excellent knowledge of evidence, a ringing endorsement of the statistical and sampling ignorance of arrogant and pompous Christian bashers around the world. A sample of one is useless. You trashed an entire group based on formal english rules in an informal, online conversational forum . . That speaks volumes about your character with or without being saved. WITH all due respect, your post smells of the same vindictiveness (and thus misguided and illogical) need to vent that we've all seen before in religion bashers.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:45 PM

702 posts, read 962,707 times
Quote:

I won't be shocked if this thread is closed, because Christian's certainly seem to close their minds whenever their "beliefs" are questioned.
Why in the world would you say that you'd like to hear Christians' "saved" stories and then, in the very next paragraph, insult them? Don't you think this pretty much slams the door on any dialogue, which your post ostensibly is trying to get?

Do you really want to hear these stories or are you just attacking? Honestly, the ambiguity of your post makes me wonder.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:48 PM

11,903 posts, read 3,734,950 times
Sittingduck,

How I see it is that life is for learning .... you can generalise all you want and lump all christians together but what I see is that we are all human beings, subject to humanity and all have different perceptions which affect our beliefs.

It seems you don't really want to know our views on salvation, but rather want to stir up debate with christians, and not really talk to people who happen to be christians.

If I am wrong maybe you can phrase the question differently, or when someone responds to your post not attack their post.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:50 PM

702 posts, read 962,707 times
Quote:
Excellent grammar, a ringing endorsement of the educational level of Christians around the world.
Are you aware that you're committing a fallacy known as "hasty generalization"? Do you know what that is? If not, click on this link: Fallacy: Hasty Generalization

Old 03-04-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Excellent knowledge of evidence, a ringing endorsement of the statistical and sampling ignorance of arrogant and pompous Christian bashers around the world. A sample of one is useless. You trashed an entire group based on formal english rules in an informal, online conversational forum . . That speaks volumes about your character with or without being saved. WITH all due respect, your post smells of the same vindictiveness (and thus misguided and illogical) need to vent that we've all seen before in religion bashers.
MysticYou really careThank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity