Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:16 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Hundreds of Dutch gay rights activists dressed in pink wigs stormed out of Mass yesterday in protest of a local Catholic priest's refusal to give communion to a gay man. The dispute began last month when the man, crowned Carnival prince in a nearby town, was denied communion because he is openly gay.

Protesters Storm From Dutch Church That Refused Gay Man Communion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 08:25 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
It's interesting that the church allowed the protesters to cancel their communion.

That's not a good sign for them if outsiders can disrupt their worship to that extent.

If the guy is a believer, he should get communion. If not, he shouldn't receive it. It's a matter of Christ - not homosexuality.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
There are actaully many reason a person can not take communion in the catholic church; Politcal stunts aside.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:34 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,161 times
Sinners are not to take Holy Communion. It's very dangerous to do so.

1 Corinthians 11
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do show the Lord's death till he come.
27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:36 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Sinners are not to take Holy Communion. It's very dangerous to do so.

1 Corinthians 11
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do show the Lord's death till he come.
27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.
I also want to bold this. As to point also why you shouldn't be take the Eucharist in sin.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:37 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
I also want to bold this. As to point also why you shouldn't be take the Eucharist in sin.
Makes sense, so the protester were just throwing a temper tamtrum.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:50 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Sounds like nothing more than a political stunt.

Pink wigs?

Gimme a break.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:02 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,323 times
All organizations have entrance and exit requirements. In other words, some individual autonomy is given up in order to belong to an organization (that is why some people get fired from their jobs-not willing to give up some form of autonomy). Churches are organizations, and until these, as individual segments, give up or change their requirements, the organization is within its rights. If you want to go to church, as a real person and not as some "point maker", find one with entrance requirements so lacking that even you can get in, or start one, and set the requirements yourself.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:32 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times
The Associated Press: Dutch gays, Catholic church put aside dispute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRt8ksaIiEo

Old 03-03-2010, 02:48 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,413 times
Would you care to translate for us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity