Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:58 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,584,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Oh. I misunderstood and thought you said I had his nature incorrect. I see what you mean. If someone believes God's character is vindictive and they use that basis to interpret scripture, they will come up with a different interpretation than someone who believes God's character is redemptive.

I still don't agree, though, because we have the Holy Spirit dwelling within us so that we can truly know God. "You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with your whole heart." I still believe we must first know God and let the Holy Spirit lead us in understanding the Bible.
Then if we have the Holy Spirit who dwells in all of us then why are we not all universalist such as yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 04:32 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,116,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Then if we have the Holy Spirit who dwells in all of us then why are we not all universalist such as yourself?
I don't label myself as Universalist per se, but I guess that's what it's called when you don't believe God will burn people for eternity. I go to the Baptist church and I've always been about as Biblebelt Baptist as it gets, but when I cried out to God and asked Him what I should do to prevent those around me from going to hell, He began to open my eyes, mind, and heart and reveal His true character to me. I had to get to a point where I really cared about people going to hell instead of just figuring me and my family were safe, and wishing everyone else well.

When the Holy Spirit began to write on my heart that hell wasn't as I'd been taught, I was very confused and asked God to forgive me for entertaining such a thought. I started looking up scriptures to confirm my belief in hell, and that's when He started opening my eyes and mind as well as my heart. From then on, I read the scriptures from the viewpoint of it confirming His true character, rather than reading the scriptures to confirm my preconceived idea of who God was.

As far as why everyone doesn't believe as I do, I can't answer that without speculation. I know I had the Holy Spirit living in me for 33 years before He showed me his true character. Maybe he was waiting for me to bother to get to know Him and ask Him myself (which I did) why he was going to burn people for eternity.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I don't label myself as Universalist per se, but I guess that's what it's called when you don't believe God will burn people for eternity. I go to the Baptist church and I've always been about as Biblebelt Baptist as it gets, but when I cried out to God and asked Him what I should do to prevent those around me from going to hell, He began to open my eyes, mind, and heart and reveal His true character to me. I had to get to a point where I really cared about people going to hell instead of just figuring me and my family were safe, and wishing everyone else well.

When the Holy Spirit began to write on my heart that hell wasn't as I'd been taught, I was very confused and asked God to forgive me for entertaining such a thought. I started looking up scriptures to confirm my belief in hell, and that's when He started opening my eyes and mind as well as my heart. From then on, I read the scriptures from the viewpoint of it confirming His true character, rather than reading the scriptures to confirm my preconceived idea of who God was.

As far as why everyone doesn't believe as I do, I can't answer that without speculation. I know I had the Holy Spirit living in me for 33 years before He showed me his true character. Maybe he was waiting for me to bother to get to know Him and ask Him myself (which I did) why he was going to burn people for eternity.
actually that is universal salvation which I only chalk it up to abhorrent teaching not heresy but universalism is nothing close to Christianity. Universalism may have similar tenets of Christianity but when you dig deeper our understanding of sin, trinity, salvation, nature of God to name a few are worlds apart.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:40 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Do you first trust your interpretation of the Bible (or the interpretation you've been taught), and let that interpretation teach you about God?

Or, do you first trust your understanding of God/the Holy Spirit dwelling in you, and let that understanding teach you about the Bible?

Don't misunderstand and think I'm asking whether you trust God or the Bible. Both are trustworthy. I'm asking if you first trust your understanding of God or your interpretation of the scriptures.

Do you give the benefit of the doubt to your understanding/belief of scripture, assuming above all else, it is correct?

Or, do you give the benefit of the doubt to your understanding/belief of God's character, assuming above all else, it is correct?

Another way to ask it is, do you go to the Bible to understand God, or do you go to God to understand the Bible?

You will most likely not get a straight answer to these questions from Christian Fundamentalists.

Here is my straight answer ... I first go to God to understand the Bible.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
actually that is universal salvation which I only chalk it up to abhorrent teaching not heresy but universalism is nothing close to Christianity. Universalism may have similar tenets of Christianity but when you dig deeper our understanding of sin, trinity, salvation, nature of God to name a few are worlds apart.

Many orhtodox and fundamentalist Christian sects views of "sin, trinity, salvation, nature of God" are worlds apart as well ... What is your point?

Old 03-08-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I read the scriptures from the viewpoint of it confirming His true character, rather than reading the scriptures to confirm my preconceived idea of who God was.

You still run into the problem that if your understanding of God is wrong and it could be as well as mine then you are committing idolatry; you love another god you created and not the real one true God and your interpretation is incorrect. so you must pray to God for guidance, study scripture and subject yourself to good teachers of sound doctrine.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Many orhtodox and fundamentalist Christian sects views of "sin, trinity, salvation, nature of God" are worlds apart as well ... What is your point?
LOL.....oh no no not to that magnitude.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:57 PM

63,949 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Because some of us disparage the inner guidance as "filthy rags' "fallen nature" . . . or whatever . . . REGARDLESS of its CONTENT (agape love, compassion, etc.) in favor of blind literal reading of dead letters.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
LOL.....oh no no not to that magnitude.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:30 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,116,102 times
Quote:

Thanks for being gracious in saying it's not heresy like some on these boards do, but I'm surprised you'd say that UR is nothing close to Christianity. UR believes that one true God created the heavens and the earth, that Jesus Christ is the son of God, that he was born of a virgin, was crucified, died, was buried, and arose again from the dead to save us from our sins. And, importantly, that no one else saves us. UR should not be confused with religions who think there are many paths to God. UR believes that we are saved ONLY because of God's Son, Jesus Christ.

Basically, Christians believe that, plus:

Some Christians believe God "weighs" the sins at judgment and if you have more good in you than sin, you go to heaven.

Some believe if you believe, confess Jesus and repent, you are saved forever - once saved always saved.

Some believe you can fall from grace and lose your salvation, but only if it's a pretty bad sin.

Some believe you can fall from grace due to one sin at death and you better be confessed up at that time.

Some believe if you sin after receiving the Holy Spirit you are hopelessly lost to hell.

Some believe you must be baptized to be saved.

Some belief works are vital to salvation.

Some believe Jesus saved all mankind when he rose from the grave and that none will be lost because God's plan was for Him to be the Savior of the whole world.

You say UR's understanding is worlds apart from other teachings. The ones that are not related to UR might not seem like they are "worlds apart" on the surface because we are used to hearing these different interpretations of scripture, but to the person who lost a loved one who wasn't baptized, or to the person who lost a loved one while they were "backsliding," these beliefs are worlds apart because one means their loved one is in hell and one doesn't.

All these interpretations that led to different denominations, leads back to the opening post - do we first trust the interpretation we've been taught, or do we first get to know God's character through listening to the Holy Spirit before trying to understand the scriptures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity