Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times

Advertisements

in fact.. run from from it..

"I beg you, look for the words 'social justice' or 'economic justice' on your church web site," Beck urged his audience. "If you find it, run as fast as you can. Social justice and economic justice, they are code words. Now, am I advising people to leave their church? Yes!"

The Washington Monthly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 01:38 PM

113 posts, read 245,289 times
He's right. Plenty of commie pastors out there you know.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 PM

Blessed are they who maintain justice,
who constantly do what is right

Spoiler
Psalm 106:3 (New International Version)

I know that the LORD secures justice for the poor
and upholds the cause of the needy.

Spoiler
Psalm 140:12 (New International Version)

The righteous care about justice for the poor,
but the wicked have no such concern.

Spoiler
Proverbs 29:7 (New International Version)

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

Spoiler
Matthew 23:23 (New International Version)

Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne;
love and faithfulness go before you.

Spoiler
Psalm 89:14 (New International Version)

ehh.. food for thought.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:09 AM

"Jesus was a Nazi. So's your preacher" - Roger Ebert's Journal

"Pretty near everything Glenn Beck says strikes me as absurd, but he scored a perfect 10 when he warned his viewers against the dangers of Christianity. You already know all about it. Well, maybe not, because the usual defenders of Christianity, like James Dobson and Pat Robertson, were very quiet on the topic. Not even a peep from Pat about this man who showed every sign of having hired the best lawyers to draft his pact with Satan."

Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
I beginning to wonder if this country has drifted into oligarchy.

Terms like social justice and economic justice are an anathema to them

Old 03-16-2010, 11:01 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
"Pretty near everything Glenn Beck says strikes me as absurd,
Really? I think his passion for freedom and the founders is admirable. In spite of me being theologically liberal I think his common sense about government control vs. freedom/free market is, well, pretty cool. I don't watch him very much so (specifically) what bugs you about him? The whole right wing thing in gerneral or him in particular?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Really? I think his passion for freedom and the founders is admirable.
Hitler had that same kind of passion. See what I did there? The same thing Beck does.. fear mongering..

It takes a special kind of a-hole to attack Woody Guthrie.. A Glenn Beck sized a-hole..

Quote:
In spite of me being theologically liberal I think his common sense about government control vs. freedom/free market is, well, pretty cool.
What common sense about government control vs freedom/free market has he espoused? I've watched him. His tactics are simply fear mongering. Nothing more.

Quote:
I don't watch him very much so (specifically) what bugs you about him?
He is dangerous because people do watch him and take what he says as the gospel.

Quote:
The whole right wing thing in gerneral or him in particular?
I have a problem with those on the right (Beck included) that lie to drum up fear and use religion as a crutch.

I find it a bit funny that much of Beck's viewing audience is most likely what would be called "fundamentalist Christians". They put their lot behind the great Beck crusade. I find it funny because Beck then comes out with his "social justice" religious rant. Its amusing to me because the writing was on the wall with that guy. At some point in time he would try (as Hitler did) to pry people away from their core beliefs to what he believed. Do I think Beck is in anyway as powerful as someone like Hitler? No. However, he is using the exact same tactics.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
Content? Context? Background?

Glenn Beck is a professed Mormon yet he shows a preferance for the NT and not the BOM. I believe he has some very good points unlike the OP.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Content? Context? Background?

Glenn Beck is a professed Mormon yet he shows a preferance for the NT and not the BOM. I believe he has some very good points unlike the OP.
Maybe you could speak to the actual original post RobinD69..

or are you trolling?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:07 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,909 times
Beck is a tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity