Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:32 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times

Advertisements

I have a question for, well anyone...

How are the measurements of the temple to be taken? Can something be 1200 miles high?

The space station up there now is about 200 miles up... Does anyone understand that if the NEW Jerusalem came down from heaven it would be taller than the space station is high? How would that work? Can this be taken literally? I don't understand how people such as this: Millennial Temple Model of Ezekiel's vision, Third 3rd temples, 40-48 Jesus Israeli Land Holy Portion Jewish Messiah Yahshua, can really think the temple will literally come down from heaven... the measurements themselves are impossible.. and for us now less impossible than when there were written but we can still see that 1200 miles high would be far into space...

How can any tangible thing be 1200 miles high?

Also on that site is the claim that during the millennial reign of Christ there will be animal sacrifices again... HUH? Can anyone explain this to me because the article (link above) is all over the place with what is literal and what is not...

(Now don't go turning this into a UR thread.... bad URers. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 12:47 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

awww ..... but, but

Old 03-15-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
awww ..... but, but
UR not gonna, ARE YOU? I actually stuck that in there as a joke ... feel free to UR all you want in this thread!

Old 03-15-2010, 01:21 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
Quote:

How are the measurements of the temple to be taken? Can something be 1200 miles high?

The space station up there now is about 200 miles up... Does anyone understand that if the NEW Jerusalem came down from heaven it would be taller than the space station is high? How would that work? Can this be taken literally? I don't understand how people such as this: Millennial Temple Model of Ezekiel's vision, Third 3rd temples, 40-48 Jesus Israeli Land Holy Portion Jewish Messiah Yahshua, can really think the temple will literally come down from heaven... the measurements themselves are impossible.. and for us now less impossible than when there were written but we can still see that 1200 miles high would be far into space...

How can any tangible thing be 1200 miles high?

Also on that site is the claim that during the millennial reign of Christ there will be animal sacrifices again... HUH? Can anyone explain this to me because the article (link above) is all over the place with what is literal and what is not...

Likely answer: Someone on some serious 'shrooms wrote this.

Faith based answer: With god, all things are possible.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Likely answer: Someone on some serious 'shrooms wrote this.

Faith based answer: With god, all things are possible.
LOL I kinda had both of those options in reserve... I will have to choose one or the other, I guess.... I'm leaning toward 'shrooms.....

Old 03-16-2010, 08:50 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
“Him that overcometh…I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is New Jerusalem†(Rev. 3:12).

The name of the city of my God is New Jerusalem. Jerusalem is a compound Hebrew word meaning “founded peaceful.†I will write upon you the name of the city — I will write upon you the establishment or kingdom of peace, the rule of peace that comes through the government of God. For God to write upon us the name of the city of God, the New Jerusalem, means that He inscribes in our very nature the peaceful and governmental characteristics represented by this glorious city of God.

The New Jerusalem coming down from the heavens of God’s Spirit is revealed to be a city four-square, that is, a universal city that reigns over and blesses all men unto the four corners of the earth. The best way to come to an understanding of the true meaning of the New Jerusalem, is to go back and consider its shadow, the Old Jerusalem. Jerusalem of old was the capital city of the national Israel; and as that old order was but a type and shadow of the new, therefore the New Jerusalem must be the capital city, or the ruling element, in Israel today, which is Christ’s kingdom and of which our Lord said, it “is not of this world.†In other words, the New Jerusalem is the ruling class, the kings and priests unto God: those who have followed the Lamb whithersoever He goeth and have attained to the highest position of honor and might and true greatness in the Spirit. It comprises those who will reign with Christ upon His throne. God’s called and chosen elect, therefore, who supremely love Christ, who are submitted completely to His Lordship, who are accounted worthy to suffer with Christ and through our trials, testings, and provings grow up into Him in all things, ARE the New Jerusalem which shall rule over God’s infinite realm forevermore, and all nations and peoples shall eventually walk in the light of this city.

Thus we see that the New Jerusalem, contrary to the driveling childishness that is taught in the church systems, is not a fanciful monstrosity some fifteen hundred miles high which some day will come crashing down out of the clouds to rest upon the earth, throwing it out of balance and off its course. God made this earth complete and as it should be long, long ago. He created it a perfectly functioning reality, and “nothing can be put to it, nor anything taken from it†(Eccl. 3:14). Truly, unspiritual men can invent many fairy tales, and alas, all seem intent upon calculating the expanse of the city in cubic miles or cubic feet as though it were nothing more than a huge metropolis slightly more wonderful than those at present on earth! One speaker waxed eloquent about the size of the mansion each inhabitant would possess, replete with a golden bathtub and fountains and other such nonsense.

Until our spiritual minds are able to grasp the great truth that the body of Christ is the temple of God and that every room or mansion in that temple is a living son of God, a literal habitation of God through the Spirit, we have understood nothing at all. Only the Spirit of God can make this a living truth in the hearts of His people!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:20 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
“Him that overcometh…I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is New Jerusalem†(Rev. 3:12).

The name of the city of my God is New Jerusalem. Jerusalem is a compound Hebrew word meaning “founded peaceful.†I will write upon you the name of the city — I will write upon you the establishment or kingdom of peace, the rule of peace that comes through the government of God. For God to write upon us the name of the city of God, the New Jerusalem, means that He inscribes in our very nature the peaceful and governmental characteristics represented by this glorious city of God.

The New Jerusalem coming down from the heavens of God’s Spirit is revealed to be a city four-square, that is, a universal city that reigns over and blesses all men unto the four corners of the earth. The best way to come to an understanding of the true meaning of the New Jerusalem, is to go back and consider its shadow, the Old Jerusalem. Jerusalem of old was the capital city of the national Israel; and as that old order was but a type and shadow of the new, therefore the New Jerusalem must be the capital city, or the ruling element, in Israel today, which is Christ’s kingdom and of which our Lord said, it “is not of this world.†In other words, the New Jerusalem is the ruling class, the kings and priests unto God: those who have followed the Lamb whithersoever He goeth and have attained to the highest position of honor and might and true greatness in the Spirit. It comprises those who will reign with Christ upon His throne. God’s called and chosen elect, therefore, who supremely love Christ, who are submitted completely to His Lordship, who are accounted worthy to suffer with Christ and through our trials, testings, and provings grow up into Him in all things, ARE the New Jerusalem which shall rule over God’s infinite realm forevermore, and all nations and peoples shall eventually walk in the light of this city.

Thus we see that the New Jerusalem, contrary to the driveling childishness that is taught in the church systems, is not a fanciful monstrosity some fifteen hundred miles high which some day will come crashing down out of the clouds to rest upon the earth, throwing it out of balance and off its course. God made this earth complete and as it should be long, long ago. He created it a perfectly functioning reality, and “nothing can be put to it, nor anything taken from it†(Eccl. 3:14). Truly, unspiritual men can invent many fairy tales, and alas, all seem intent upon calculating the expanse of the city in cubic miles or cubic feet as though it were nothing more than a huge metropolis slightly more wonderful than those at present on earth! One speaker waxed eloquent about the size of the mansion each inhabitant would possess, replete with a golden bathtub and fountains and other such nonsense.

Until our spiritual minds are able to grasp the great truth that the body of Christ is the temple of God and that every room or mansion in that temple is a living son of God, a literal habitation of God through the Spirit, we have understood nothing at all. Only the Spirit of God can make this a living truth in the hearts of His people!
Simply AWESOME post!!!

Old 03-17-2010, 05:07 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Ezekiel Temple vision was a vision for that time, it was a time a apostacy in Israel and the vision was a vision for hope for the people then and hope of the Lord God for his children at that time.... the sacrificing of goat and bulls will serve no purpose and the old temple of Moses has passed and any new temple built will be built in vain and peoples only hope for a sign.........I do not like to tell people that this temple plan for the second-coming is not needed but the truth is the truth and if you look to the truth through Jesus Christ , you will find the truth,,, Jesus said that ``the new temple is the Hope for the people``and not to condemn people hope no matter what..........On the second- coming Most people and the children of God will not even see Lord Jesus in Israel or any where in the earth...... But HIS work will be evident, people will not see him because Jesus said to Disciple Thomas `` It is better for thoughs who believed and NOT seen``` and these truths do not change ....

Old 03-17-2010, 05:28 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:

How are the measurements of the temple to be taken? Can something be 1200 miles high? Also on that site is the claim that during the millennial reign of Christ there will be animal sacrifices again... HUH? Can anyone explain this to me because the article (link above) is all over the place with what is literal and what is not...

I'm in the minority for what I'm about to say:

That is because Revelation is symbolic. In that God used symbolic terms to convey his message.
i.e.

Revelation 14:19
The angel swung his sickle on the earth, gathered its grapes and threw them into the great winepress of God's wrath.

There is no angel that literally "will swing his sickle", it is a metaphor on harvesting humanity in Matthew 13:39 , Matthew 13:30

Matthew 13:39
"The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels."

Matthew 13:30
Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.'

or

God having "a great winepress" ...again another metphor for the destruction of evil and those who do evil by God: Like people who stomp on grapes

Matthew 13:30 "First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned"

John 3:36 "but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

Hebrews 10:13
Since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool,

Luke 20:40, 47 Jesus said, "Watch out for the teachers of the law.....Such men will be punished most severely."

But like you said.....no turning this into UR

Last edited by twin.spin; 03-17-2010 at 05:48 PM..

Old 03-17-2010, 07:49 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I'm in the minority for what I'm about to say:

That is because Revelation is symbolic. In that God used symbolic terms to convey his message.
i.e.

Revelation 14:19
The angel swung his sickle on the earth, gathered its grapes and threw them into the great winepress of God's wrath.

There is no angel that literally "will swing his sickle", it is a metaphor on harvesting humanity in Matthew 13:39 , Matthew 13:30

Matthew 13:39
"The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels."

Matthew 13:30
Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.'

or

God having "a great winepress" ...again another metphor for the destruction of evil and those who do evil by God: Like people who stomp on grapes

Matthew 13:30 "First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned"

John 3:36 "but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

Hebrews 10:13
Since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool,

Luke 20:40, 47 Jesus said, "Watch out for the teachers of the law.....Such men will be punished most severely."

But like you said.....no turning this into UR
Twin spin,

I agree with you that it is symbolic --- just like the 'lake of fire' is symbolic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity