Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 12:08 AM

7 posts, read 4,510 times

Advertisements

Ill pretty much just leave it at that and see what bible students have to say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 12:16 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreesman View Post
It's still widely used I think? Just like when vinyl records and cassette tapes were obsolete - it took decades for them to go away because the user base was so big. And now vinyls are coming back! (because they're just - so cool).

I'm pretty sure it's mostly older folks reading the KJV. (40 and older?)

This makes me curious - what IS the most read English translation? NIV?

Last edited by firstborn888; 03-11-2010 at 12:28 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 12:52 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
I've got maybe 6 or 7 different translations, but I still read the KJV probably 99% of the time. I really like it a lot, but then I guess I fall into the "old fogey" category. (I'm almost 62)

Bud

Old 03-11-2010, 01:00 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,245 times
Nothing wrong with the KJV, but for a new Christian, I always recommend the NIV simply because it's a lot easier to read and understand.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:09 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I've got maybe 6 or 7 different translations, but I still read the KJV probably 99% of the time. I really like it a lot, but then I guess I fall into the "old fogey" category. (I'm almost 62)

Bud
Old fogey at 62? Naaaaaw. I like the KJV because it is poetic. It's like a comfy chair that you've had forever and pretty at the same time.. If I recite verses it is from the KJV (grew up in a KJV only church) but I like the NIV for posting. If a passage is confusing I like to compare several versions. Even some of the paraphrases are pretty good, especially for those who want to just read it for the sake of reading.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:00 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
It's like a comfy chair that you've had forever and pretty at the same time..
How poetic!

I also used it extensively in the 70's and 80' because I has a Strong's concordance which was written in conjunction with the KJV. The KJV with the Strong's was amazing because I'd get ideas about things while studying and then the Strong's would show if I was on track.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:11 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreesman View Post
John 14:23Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. 24He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

Since the writing of the four Gospels, those that were living at the time of Christ, kept His words.

Acts 11: 25Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul: 26And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Antioch was the city where the Received Text came from. The above and below references with the fact that the Received Text came from there, certainly proves the loyalty of those disciples in the keeping of His Words.

Acts 15: 22Then pleased it the apostles and elders with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas and Silas, chief men among the brethren: 23And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia...... 30So when they were dismissed, they came to Antioch: and when they had gathered the multitude together, they delivered the epistle: 31Which when they had read, they rejoiced for the consolation.

So not only were epistles were being kept up, but the holy scriptures for references as well.

2 Timothy 4: 12And Tychicus have I sent to Ephesus. 13The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.

Romans 1: 1Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, 2(Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) 3Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;

Romans 15: 4For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Romans 16: 25Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, 26But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: 27To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.

1 Corinthians 15: 1Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: 5And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: 6After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

2 Timothy 3: 14But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 15And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

The availability of the scriptures and the epistles were also accessible to those that err.

2 Peter 3:15And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 16As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. 17Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

Just because modern society can only assume when the earliest "Bible" was compiled, doesn't mean it wasn't done earlier. The fact that Codexes have been found, should suggests what the scriptures plainly states: the Bible .. of the holy scriptures, the four gospels with the epistles... have been compiled and used by those that kept His words for they loved Him.

This concludes the history of the keeping of His words in the King James Bible.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:57 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
It's a memorization thing with me, that why I prefer the KJV. I like the YLT for better translations, also.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:43 AM

595 posts, read 761,937 times
I have read the NIV for about 30 years and before this read the KJV for 10 years. I use both to study, along with the original Hebrew and Greek and some commentaries.
Actually a pastor that preached from the RSV at the time, suggested reading the NIV.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:51 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
I have read the NIV for about 30 years and before this read the KJV for 10 years. I use both to study, along with the original Hebrew and Greek and some commentaries.
Actually a pastor that preached from the RSV at the time, suggested reading the NIV.
But according to post #7, the scriptures suggsted using the King James Bible for the meat of God's words to discern good and evil.

All other versions are subjected to poetic licensing just to get their copyrights to it, and because of it, the meat is lacking in those versions.

Indeed, other versions with its changed meanings are supporting hereseys and the apostasies in these latter day,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity